CCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, will be applying to CCOM this summer...my #1 choice school. Hope everyone is enjoying their summer! Im not...lol, taking my mcat july 10th and hoping to kill it to get to CCOM

Members don't see this ad :)
CCOM is also my first choice, my stats: Overall GPA 3.36, science GPA 3.47, MCAT 30Q. What are my chances?

With some good clinical and non-clinical EC's, good letters of rec, submitting your AACOMAS and supplementaries in a timely fashion, you should stand a very good chance at admission.

my stats: overall: 3.31, science: 3.24, mcat: july 10th (hoping for at least a 27), lots of EC's, good strong LORs including preceptors and board of director at CCOM, hopefully will be complete by august...my gpa is kind of weak, i got lot of B's, im praying ill get in lol

CCOM is my top choice as well.

Their website states that a GPA above 3.0 (science and cumulative) is needed to be considered competitive, so I think you guys are fine in that department. And the average MCAT of the 2007 entering class was 27. All this is on their website, I just thought I'd post here for reference. Best of luck to all those applying, hopefully I'll see some of you class and we can talk about how we were worrisome pre-meds a long, long time ago.

CCOM is my top choice as well.

Their website states that a GPA above 3.0 (science and cumulative) is needed to be considered competitive, so I think you guys are fine in that department. And the average MCAT of the 2007 entering class was 27. All this is on their website, I just thought I'd post here for reference. Best of luck to all those applying, hopefully I'll see some of you class and we can talk about how we were worrisome pre-meds a long, long time ago.

haha im dreaming for that day to come!

hopefully I'll see some of you class and we can talk about how we were worrisome pre-meds a long, long time ago.

haha im dreaming for that day to come!

Haha, from what I hear from current med students, it increases exponentially in med school. I believe it. This process can definitely be crappy, but try to enjoy your senior year or your last year out of the books (if you're non-trad) while going through it, guys :)

i cant, i need to continue studying to raise my gpa....if for some reason i dont get into ccom, nycom, pcom, umdnj ill be reapplying, i know people say apply broadly and with my stats i should not be too picky, but i dont want to leave chicago for any reason at the moment, residency i wouldnt care, but for med school i want to go to ccom and if that means reapplying another time, im gonna keep on doing that till i get into ccom or one of the four schools i listed, i have strong reasons why i want to stay which i just dont feel like explaining at the moment, :oops:

Hey Travoltage-

I had similiar stats and got into CCOM. 3.4 gpa 27 MCAT lots of clinical and research experience and real strong LORs. If you apply early enough and interview well you should be able to get in. For the record, I think that if you limit yourself to those four schools you could be shooting yourself in the foot. Getting into medical school is a very difficult process with a lot of variables that are completely out of your control. Even if you kick *** on everything it doesn't guarantee you a spot at any school. Although I don't know your reasoning for only applying to four schools, I'd suggest (and I'm sure many others who have gotten in would also agree) to apply broadly. If you get secondaries and interviews at the schools you are interested in, you don't have to send the other secondaries to the lower interest schools but I'd definitely include them in your aacomas application. BTW, the schools that you have ranked high before your interviews could end up being lower on your list in the end which is another reason to apply broadly. Many recently accepted students will tell you this as well. CCOM was one of these for me. Best of luck to you.

Hey Travoltage-

I had similiar stats and got into CCOM. 3.4 gpa 27 MCAT lots of clinical and research experience and real strong LORs. If you apply early enough and interview well you should be able to get in. For the record, I think that if you limit yourself to those four schools you could be shooting yourself in the foot. Getting into medical school is a very difficult process with a lot of variables that are completely out of your control. Even if you kick *** on everything it doesn't guarantee you a spot at any school. Although I don't know your reasoning for only applying to four schools, I'd suggest (and I'm sure many others who have gotten in would also agree) to apply broadly. If you get secondaries and interviews at the schools you are interested in, you don't have to send the other secondaries to the lower interest schools but I'd definitely include them in your aacomas application. BTW, the schools that you have ranked high before your interviews could end up being lower on your list in the end which is another reason to apply broadly. Many recently accepted students will tell you this as well. CCOM was one of these for me. Best of luck to you.

i completely understand what your saying, i think i will apply broadly, i just have family i need to help take care of here...if only it were soo plain and simple lol

Anyone know:

a) how many/what percentage of applicants are invited for interviews?

b) what percentage of interviewees are given acceptances?

Anyone know:

im not sure about a), but i have a few friends who attend ccom, and they interview students all the time. a friend of mine from there said that for b), its like 70% or something close to it. those are good odds in your favor.

Members don't see this ad :)
is CCOM still ONLY 160 seats, when are the increasing the class size, just wondering, since i hear all med schools were increasing class sizes very soon....lol make it now, haha

is CCOM still ONLY 160 seats, when are the increasing the class size, just wondering, since i hear all med schools were increasing class sizes very soon....lol make it now, haha

I think they increased it to 173 seats

Last edited:
I m applying to ccom, its one of my top chioce, i love the school and i loveeeeeeeeeeeeee the city of chicagoooooo...wishing eveyone the bets of luck , hey we might be classmates, who knows..:)

anyone knows, how many ppl they accept in state and how many ppl they accept out state ( on average )?:cool:

midwestern is a private college meaning it doesn't show preference to ppl from IL so it varies

A lot of private schools will still show a state preference. At some schools, it is very strong, at other schools, it is not as strong.

Posted via Mobile Device

actually, well i guess from what ive heard, ccom has strong preference toward in state students however im sure if you have good stats...where your from really shouldnt matter..

I've heard they show a very strong preference to people who use the word "Chicago" in their SDN user ID.

I applied too. It's one of my top choices.

whats a competitive gpa/mcat score to get at least an interview at ccom?

Last edited:
Okay ladies and gentleman..or let just say friends...lol
here we goo,:p
u need around a 27 on the MCAT..on average..
u MUSTtttttt have a science GPA of over 3.0
///and an overall gpa of around 3.4 or above will be good.////

I got this info from their website and doing google search..so i think its accurate..;)

now now now hate is such a strong word....why don't we promote peach and happiness in today's crazy society?

Last edited:
Okay ladies and gentleman..or let just say friends...lol
here we goo,:p
u need around a 27 on the MCAT..on average..
u MUSTtttttt have a science GPA of over 3.0
///and an overall gpa of around 3.4 or above will be good.////

I got this info from their website and doing google search..so i think its accurate..;)

On their website I found the following information:
General Requirements:

• Bachelor's degree
  • Minimum total and science GPA of 2.75
  • MCAT scores
  • Two letters of recommendation
Where did you see a requirement for a 3.0? Please, enlighten me.

General Requirements:

• Bachelor's degree
  • MCAT scores

Hi

i got this line from their website

"To be competitive, an applicant should possess both a science and total GPA over 3.00 on a 4.00 scale"

The question was originally asked about what would be compitive in getting an interview:

To be competitive u need at least a 3.0 science Gpa (thats what i meant), But they will look at ur application if ur gpa is higher or at 2.75, but then ur MCAT score must be really high.

Best of luck to u..:thumbup:

General Requirements:

• Bachelor's degree
  • MCAT scores

yeah....that website hasnt been updated in ages. I don't think a 3.0 will cut it at all, ( 2.75, keep dreaming ) unless youre rolling in with a 29+ MCAT or something wild on your file.

Anyone know:

Stats from 2003

(Applications In State/OOS; Interviewed In State/OOS; Accepted In State/OOS; Enrolled In State/OOS)

School
PCOM - 553/3272; 309/259; 237/177; 161/105
UNECOM - 52/2396; 37/269; 33/188; 28/93
CCOM - 239/1406; 154/365; 115/267; 71/103
NJCOM - 373/2028; 115/170; 78/112; 100/0
NYCOM - 660/2637; 367/353; 286/254; 198/112
DMU COM - 160/2227; 111/468; 93/353; 59/156
LECOM - PA - 469/3782; 297/888; 174/345; 123/266

Stats from 2003

(Applications In State/OOS; Interviewed In State/OOS; Accepted In State/OOS; Enrolled In State/OOS)

School

Wow, in-state chances are really good based on these stats!

Stats from 2003

School

Only 1650 applicants? Neighboring MD schools got 4 or 5 times that many applicants in the last cycle! I'm willing to bet those applicant numbers now are much higher than they were five years ago. Yet the future does seem bright for in-staters. What about In-City applicants? If I'd known this sooner I would have moved down the street from CCOM and been an In-Neighborhood applicant. They probably all get accepted.

2003 was 5 years ago. Around that time MD schools' stats were looking about what osteo schools' stats are starting to look like right now. I would be very very surprised if the number of total applicants was still below 2000.

i saw a published link somewhere, ill try to find it again, think last year there were like around 4500 applicants, maybe a little less

4500 applicants for 170 seats. I get a queasy feeling in my stomach when I look at those numbers.

4500 applicants for 170 seats. I get a queasy feeling in my stomach when I look at those numbers.
True, but I bet you they accept about at least double the number of seats in the class.

Columbia, for example, accepted 286 and only 155 enrolled.

Welcome to applying to med school, man. And to be fair, as was somewhat said above, I'm sure of those 4500 applications, some didn't complete the secondary, some were accepted to allopathic schools or other osteopathic schools and declined acceptances AND interview invites.

CCOM looked pretty sweet; I went on a tour last week. Nice area too. Its not as busy as Chicago, believe me that's the best part. But its still pretty urban.

But its still pretty urban.

it's suburban, no two ways about it. But DG has a metra train directly to the city with plenty of parking, I believe, and the clinical rotation sites are located throughout chicagoland, including the city. A lot of students end up in the surrounding suburbs or Oak Park, which is just a few minutes away from the city (with no traffic). My tour guide even said he and a few friends were moving into lincoln park (trendy young professional northside neighborhood of chicago) for their 3rd year.

Always remember what the late George Carlin said

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are stupider than that"

To be competitive u need at least a 3.0 science Gpa (thats what i meant), But they will look at ur application if ur gpa is higher or at 2.75, but then ur MCAT score must be really high.

Translation: "You don't have much of a shot but we'd love the application fee."

so for those that went on a tour to ccom, tell us more about the school? anything that would give us insights about clinicals, programs, professors, friendly? and so on.. THANKS..

Status
Not open for further replies.