CCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just now got my physician letter in... I'm pretty late.. I wonder if I even have a shot at an interview now?

There are still chances for interviews out there. I just got an interview invite to UMDNJ yesterday after being complete after New Year's. Just FYI, I was complete at CCOM 12/9 (they sent me a "You're complete!" email) and still haven't received word (cgpa 3.38, sgpa 3.17, mcat 35S), so hang in there.

Members don't see this ad.

complete 1/7/10
interview invite 1/20/10

interview scheduled 1/25/10...who is with me???

The one thing I noticed that it lacks is technology, relative to the other DO schools I interviewed at. It doesn't have any patient simulators, there aren't any Tv's in the anatomy lab to observe the instructor, and I think some of the buildings do not have Wi-Fi (please correct me on this one, I only thought I heard this from a student there). Also, and if it matters to you, the fitness center is very small, but being in DG, theres a Gym pretty close by. I'm going to CCOM, so obviously these things didn't bother me too much :)

they just sent an email out to students on campus that hey are going to integrate wifi in all classrooms. i do not know when it will be ready but it should be soon as they are starting the process now :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering if anyone has recently heard any news about interviews? My application was complete 12/26, and I still haven't heard anything. Also, will they still send me an email if they do not want me for an interview? I'm starting to get a bit worried:(

Just wondering if anyone has recently heard any news about interviews? My application was complete 12/26, and I still haven't heard anything. Also, will they still send me an email if they do not want me for an interview? I'm starting to get a bit worried:(

I know how you feel..I'm in the same boat as you. App was complete 12/22 and still haven't heard anything. I decided to call them 01/13 and the lady was very nice but said that they have a lot of applicants and the board is trying to review applications as fast as they can but that there is no set time frame. She also said, "You've only been complete as of recently" and so i guess there is still some hope? I'v looked at some posts and while some people got interview invites in only a couple of weeks, others had to wait a couple of months...so not sure if they have a system....but I'm starting to get anxious as well...esp since my stats arnt that great and CCOM is in my top choice of schools...Hope this helped....Good Luck!:0)

this was me just shy of 2 yrs ago. they will not send you an email if they do not invite you for an interview. instead you get a letter via snail mail aprilish inviting you to transfer your application at no fee to one of their still open programs (usually the biomed sciences and the clinical psychology)

I know how you feel..I'm in the same boat as you. App was complete 12/22 and still haven't heard anything. I decided to call them 01/13 and the lady was very nice but said that they have a lot of applicants and the board is trying to review applications as fast as they can but that there is no set time frame. She also said, "You've only been complete as of recently" and so i guess there is still some hope? I'v looked at some posts and while some people got interview invites in only a couple of weeks, others had to wait a couple of months...so not sure if they have a system....but I'm starting to get anxious as well...esp since my stats arnt that great and CCOM is in my top choice of schools...Hope this helped....Good Luck!:0)

from what i gathered talking to the admission rep there they review applications that are complete on a specific day all together and make a decision to invite you for an interview or to review your application again at a later date.

my invite came quick since i am there currently for the masters program. if your stats are not that good and ccom is your top choice i would highly suggest completing an application for the masters program. we have a really good track record of placing people into ccom. if you have any more questions about it please feel free to pm me.

from what i gathered talking to the admission rep there they review applications that are complete on a specific day all together and make a decision to invite you for an interview or to review your application again at a later date.

my invite came quick since i am there currently for the masters program. if your stats are not that good and ccom is your top choice i would highly suggest completing an application for the masters program. we have a really good track record of placing people into ccom. if you have any more questions about it please feel free to pm me.

Thank you so much for the feedback! If I dont get in this year, I might take a look at the program. I got my rejection letter in the mail today so that kinda sucked:( oh well hope I get in somewhere else. For all those waiting, I was complete 12/22 and my letter was dated 01/14.

Thank you so much for the feedback! If I dont get in this year, I might take a look at the program. I got my rejection letter in the mail today so that kinda sucked:( oh well hope I get in somewhere else. For all those waiting, I was complete 12/22 and my letter was dated 01/14.

Futuredoc, do you mind sharing your stats? Thanks.

Does anyone know when the committee is going to make decision/meet for this month?

Does anyone know when the committee is going to make decision/meet for this month?

If I can recall correctly, I think it is either the third or the fourth Friday of the month (my interview was such a long time ago that I can't recall specifically), but it also depends on what they have going on in the school....in a nutshell...I would call the office and ask them. Hope this helps!:)

And of course, :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I just withdrew my acceptance at CCOM. Good luck to you all, I hope someone gets a call about 'my seat' today and gets in where they want to be! Good luck everyone!

well, not sure if it was thanks to you or not, but I'm in!

Pending one waitlist, I'll see you guys in DG this summer, good luck!

I'm in too! Got a call from La'Mont today. I'm soooo excited! Woot! This is a dream come true.

Congrats to everyone who has made it thus far and best of luck to those who are still waiting :xf:

La'mont just gave me the good news too....here was my timeline:

supplemental app in on 12/17
interview invite on 12/17
interview 1/22
accepted 1/28

Congrats, Longshot86! I'll post my timeline too:
Supplementary Application Complete: 11/11/2009
Interview invite: 12/4/2009
Interview: 1/12/2010
Accepted: 1/28/2010

This is the application cycle from hell for me, just received my rejection 2 days ago :( via snail mail

I was complete here on 11/19
stats are 29 MCAT, 3.05 overall gpa, 2.91 sGPA

I know how frustrating the wait is, so I just wanted to help those still waiting gauge their chances

haven't received a single interview invite yet, probably cause of my GPA...

i guess I'm just gonna reapply next year, and send out my app June 1st

can't afford masters programs money wise or post bach programs timewise...

GL to all those still waiting

Try this: http://services.aamc.org/postbac/

It's not too late timewise for post-bacc. I just looked up Drexel's from that website and saw that their post-bacc starts at $15K with 26-50 of their 51 students per year matriculating into medical school afterward.

I'm in a similar position as you. I will say that I would wary about simply reapplying - if you don't increase the strength of your application somehow, I don't think anything will change. If your problem is GPA, you'll have to show that you can handle the medical school workload somehow. A post-bacc or masters could help you there, and perhaps even an improved MCAT score. Whatever you do, you don't want to spend money on applications again, especially since the 2nd time around is probably the last time you'll be able to do so. I don't know about your undergrad. institution but mine gives alumni access to pre-health advising for forever. You may want to see if you can make an appointment with yours to lay out some clearer options.

Good luck. I hope you find success.

This is the application cycle from hell for me, just received my rejection 2 days ago :( via snail mail

I know how frustrating the wait is, so I just wanted to help those still waiting gauge their chances

i was placed on the waitlist. Anyone know anything about what my chances are of being accepted off the waitlist? Curious for any information

Try this: http://services.aamc.org/postbac/

It's not too late timewise for post-bacc. I just looked up Drexel's from that website and saw that their post-bacc starts at $15K with 26-50 of their 51 students per year matriculating into medical school afterward.

I'm in a similar position as you. I will say that I would wary about simply reapplying - if you don't increase the strength of your application somehow, I don't think anything will change. If your problem is GPA, you'll have to show that you can handle the medical school workload somehow. A post-bacc or masters could help you there, and perhaps even an improved MCAT score. Whatever you do, you don't want to spend money on applications again, especially since the 2nd time around is probably the last time you'll be able to do so. I don't know about your undergrad. institution but mine gives alumni access to pre-health advising for forever. You may want to see if you can make an appointment with yours to lay out some clearer options.

Good luck. I hope you find success.

Thanks so much for your feedback Cheshyre...
it's just such a frustrating process because I know it's my GPA that's a problem, and that's the hardest thing to change at this point (time and commitment wise)

I went to an undergrad university famous for grade deflation, which partly explains my low gpa, and I took rigorous coursework, most of my classes were grad level neuroscience classes... but I guess when your gpa is that low, no one really considers the rigor of the undergraduate work... and some masters programs won't even take me because of my gpa

my other issue is that a postbach program costs so much, I have no idea where I'll get the money to pay for it... I guess it'll be a matter of what loans I can get... and I'm already two years out of college, it's scary to think that if I enroll in a postbach program, it can be another 2-4 years until I actually start med school... I come from a family that is not very understanding about the time commitment... my parents are completely against the postbach option... so many hard decisions to make on the subject

app complete 1/7
interviewed 1/25

waitlisted

from what i have been told there willbe no movement form waitlist until early may

Thanks so much for your feedback Cheshyre...
it's just such a frustrating process because I know it's my GPA that's a problem, and that's the hardest thing to change at this point (time and commitment wise)

I went to an undergrad university famous for grade deflation, which partly explains my low gpa, and I took rigorous coursework, most of my classes were grad level neuroscience classes... but I guess when your gpa is that low, no one really considers the rigor of the undergraduate work... and some masters programs won't even take me because of my gpa

my other issue is that a postbach program costs so much, I have no idea where I'll get the money to pay for it... I guess it'll be a matter of what loans I can get... and I'm already two years out of college, it's scary to think that if I enroll in a postbach program, it can be another 2-4 years until I actually start med school... I come from a family that is not very understanding about the time commitment... my parents are completely against the postbach option... so many hard decisions to make on the subject

I know exactly what you're saying. My undergrad is pretty famous for hardcore grade deflation as well. It's frustrating when people judge you as "lazy" or even "unintelligent" based solely on your GPA when you've been through more all-nighters than you can count. Plus, I just found out from a comp. sci. major here that some job recruiters in his field don't even care about GPA - they did internal surveys and realized that institution matters much more than GPA in determining future employee performance. That's why that comp. sci. kid now has an offer for $70K straight out of undergrad with a GPA of <3.0.

Now, that doesn't mean that I couldn't have worked harder, or at least, smarter. I recognize my deficiencies and am always trying to fix them, change my habits, etc.

My parents were fairly against the PBacc option as well until I laid it out for them. Perhaps that would work for you too. Make it a presentation - why you want to do it / objectives, timeframe, costs, and explain why other options aren't as good for you. At this point I'm still waiting on several schools and haven't begun serious research, but I think that you could search for some PBacc programs, find ones you like, and then call their financial aid offices to see what can be done. I assume the FAFSA will likely have to be filled out as well. I was fortunate enough to get a bunch of scholarship money through my undergraduate years and not have to take out loans, so I'm not very knowledgeable in this area. Best of luck.

It seems as if this year's incoming class is gonna have some relatively high stats from reading these posts. Anyone else notice that this cycle?

I think you have a minute chance! But a chance nonetheless

It seems as if this year's incoming class is gonna have some relatively high stats from reading these posts. Anyone else notice that this cycle?

I did notice that and was really apprehensive about my application after seeing all of these amazing stats on here. But, you never know- you can only trust in your application. For anyone else still waiting to interview (or already has and are waiting for a decision), here are my stats and my timeline:

26T MCAT, cGPA: 3.97, sGPA: 3.95

Completed: 12/9
Interviewed: 1/25
Accepted: 1/28

Anyone else in my interview group get accepted? Congrats everyone!! I'm suppper thrilled :)

Have you ever considered doing a one year masters program in biomedical sciences? A lot of those programs are geared towards students applying to medical school but need a little GPA booster to improve their application. Although most programs are a little expensive, it's at least only one year and you can definitely work on improving your application within that timeframe. I know Loyola in Chicago has an awesome masters program geared towards pre-med/post-bacc students.

Hope this helps!

Just got my letter of acceptance! Looks like everything is handled online, but my online status hasn't been updated yet.

Hey everyone. I have a quick question.

How the hell do you expect to pay for this school?

I've recently been accepted to CCOM and LECOM-B. After crunching the numbers, I just can't see how I can justify going here, especially with around 70k of existing student loans. Ack.

Hey everyone. I have a quick question.

I've recently been accepted to CCOM and LECOM-B. After crunching the numbers, I just can't see how I can justify going here, especially with around 70k of existing student loans. Ack.

The same way anyone expects to pay for medical school that is either private or OOS.

1.) Parents or you have saved up some $$$
2.) Scholarships
3.) Loan reimbursement/Loan Forgiveness Programs
4.) Get into a good paying specialty
5.) Hope that your significant other is rich or their parents are rich
6.) Win the lottery

The same way anyone expects to pay for medical school that is either private or OOS.

1.) Parents or you have saved up some $$$
2.) Scholarships
3.) Loan reimbursement/Loan Forgiveness Programs
4.) Get into a good paying specialty
5.) Hope that your significant other is rich or their parents are rich
6.) Win the lottery

HAHA. This process is so f#$%ed up in this country, is it not?

You either must be some sort of Wall Street genius or the inventor of the ShamWow in order to pay with saved cash. Loan Forgiveness programs only feel sympathy for primary care in areas you might get shot or lost in the woods. Good paying specialties are one good choice, only adding to the growing problem of lack of primary care. The lottery, although an altogether convenient and attractive option, is not as reliable as I would like.

So...any cardio surgeons lookin for a hot date? ;)

I just recently interview at CCOM. The dean mentioned that CCOM has "simulation equipment" but did not expand on it and the student tour guides neither mentioned it or showed us anything. I completely forgot to ask...

So.. Does CCOM have any sim patients like other schools like DMU and KCUMB?

I just recently interview at CCOM. The dean mentioned that CCOM has "simulation equipment" but did not expand on it and the student tour guides neither mentioned it or showed us anything. I completely forgot to ask...

Uhh well the assistant dean told our interview group that this was one of their weaknesses and he was trying to get some simulation equipment. So I'm not sure if they have much, if any at all.

Basically the same way MSU guy stated. You just deal with it and know you will likely make $200+ when you get out. Although the salary surveys are out there, most of the docs I know make a lot more than what those surveys say. Would you want to report the full amount to the survey so the info is then there for the rest of the public to say you don't deserve that much money?

The sense of entitlement to healthcare and government programs in this country is ridiculous.

Also there are things regarding loans that not many students know about. Entering med school you may just assume you have to pay it completely back but there are some ways of lessening it.

Check this thread out.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=697439

I never went to my interview at DMU so I can only comment based on what I've heard. We do not have surgical sim labs here or anything similar to what I perceive DMU as having.

We do have some dummies to kind of practice pelvic exams on but I think that's about it. Frankly I'm not sure how much of a real benefit this would be, we are so busy learning other coursework right now I don't think we would have time to really perfect our approach to any of this and by the time we do need to know for 3rd year we are doing it on real patients anyways.

Not saying it wouldn't be nice to have it available (the more resources available the better) but I'm just saying I dunno how much we would utilize it.

along those same lines, what kind of early patient contact does CCOM offer? I imagine you are pretty busy with class work to have any time to do this, but regardless I was just curious as to what is available/offered?

interview invite yesterday, but i'm cancelling, so hopefully someone gets my spot. good luck!

for those of you who have gotten recent interview invites (past 2 weeks are so) when were you complete?

along those same lines, what kind of early patient contact does CCOM offer? I imagine you are pretty busy with class work to have any time to do this, but regardless I was just curious as to what is available/offered?

CCOM is involved with a few of homeless/underserved clinics throughout Chicago and its suburbs. As a first or second year student, what you get to do depends on what you've learned so far and what each place allows. In some clinics you'll be working with 3rd or 4th year med students, residents, and attendings who volunteer their time. Your Intro to Medicine class has early clinical contact requirements which can be completed at the clinics, with physicians affiliated with CCOM, or physicians you may know (with limitations).

With regards to patient simulators; Would we benefit from them? yes. By how much? probably not by a whole lot. Their usefulness is really in simulating codes, possibly practice of difficult procedures, etc. Pretty much very little you would learn to do as a first or second year anyways. We make up for it by having good rotation sites to learn these things(which in all honesty will have a much greater impact when it's time to apply for residencies). Some of the hospitals we have rotations at are also shared by other medical schools in the vicinity (Rush, University of Chicago, Northwestern, Loyola, etc). First and second year are for learning the basics; basic sciences, basic clinical skills. Sims would be a helpful stepping stool but it's not like you're completely thrown in the deep end in rotations. The teaching of medicine evolved from apprenticeship and that's what 3rd and 4th year are all about, simulators or no simulators.

CCOM is involved with a few of homeless/underserved clinics throughout Chicago and its suburbs. As a first or second year student, what you get to do depends on what you've learned so far and what each place allows. In some clinics you'll be working with 3rd or 4th year med students, residents, and attendings who volunteer their time. Your Intro to Medicine class has early clinical contact requirements which can be completed at the clinics, with physicians affiliated with CCOM, or physicians you may know (with limitations).

+1
Your involvement in these various clinics is basically up to you/ how much time you can spare.

I still haven't heard anything at all from CCOM (my application was complete Oct 12th). Is anyone in the same boat as me?