CCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

Started by cbrons
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
everyone needs to relax here. its september, the application/interview process is looong. another day without an interview or rejection is another day that your app is still being considered.

Agreed 🙂

there are many kids in our class who didnt receive interview invites/interview here until march. just take a deep breath, and let what will be, be.

Were they complete in July?


This last week I've been checking for my rejection letter, and every day it doesn't come is a good day :laugh:
 
Agreed 🙂



Were they complete in July?


This last week I've been checking for my rejection letter, and every day it doesn't come is a good day :laugh:

the time when they were complete, i cannot attest, but it is moot. regardless if you do not have a rejection or interview, you're still being considered. i interviewed in march last year at a school i was complete at in mid-august. this med school application process is a long one, and you can't keep stressing out like this for the next 6 months, trust me, just relax and enjoy yourself 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any CCOM students have suggestions as to what I should do/check out while i'm currently on campus? I'm staying with a friend but she has a huge pharm exam coming up so I don't want to bother her too much as she studies and I would like to take advantage of the fact i'm on campus. My interview's tomorrow!
 
Any CCOM students have suggestions as to what I should do/check out while i'm currently on campus? I'm staying with a friend but she has a huge pharm exam coming up so I don't want to bother her too much as she studies and I would like to take advantage of the fact i'm on campus. My interview's tomorrow!

I'll see you tomorrow!
I'm currently sitting in the Orlando airport waiting for my flight, but it is POURING rain and I'm afraid I will get delayed!!!
Also has anyone else ever taken Dramamine because I took it for air sickness but I feel like i'm pretty drunk. Definitely cheaper than alcohol if you want to get a buzz going haha
 
I'll see you tomorrow!
I'm currently sitting in the Orlando airport waiting for my flight, but it is POURING rain and I'm afraid I will get delayed!!!
Also has anyone else ever taken Dramamine because I took it for air sickness but I feel like i'm pretty drunk. Definitely cheaper than alcohol if you want to get a buzz going haha

It isn't the motion sickness that bothers me. I hate planes, hate heights, cannot stand takeoff or landing and I had two connecting flights today. But I'm in Las Vegas now waiting for 1:00pm tomorrow when I can go impress TUCOM 👍
 
It isn't the motion sickness that bothers me. I hate planes, hate heights, cannot stand takeoff or landing and I had two connecting flights today. But I'm in Las Vegas now waiting for 1:00pm tomorrow when I can go impress TUCOM 👍

Good luck tomorrow!
 
I will be withdrawing my application and cancelling my interview here.

Good luck to everyone!
 
Just interviewed today! Really liked the school, the campus is great. Interview was pretty relaxed and all the students were really nice and helpful answering all our questions 🙂 The rotation sites look amazing here and I was pretty impressed by their residency placement so hopefully I will hear good news soon from them 🙂

Advice: do not stay at the Comfort Inn on Finley, it's crappy (plus I thought my room was going to catch fire, I turned on the AC unit and it smelled like burning, set off the fire alarm, and the front desk didn't send anyone down to my room to check it out, awesome).

Eat at Portillo's for dinner if you are not from the area (there is one down the road from the hotel), I've always heard awesome things about that place and it was so delicious 😀
 
Just interviewed today! Really liked the school, the campus is great. Interview was pretty relaxed and all the students were really nice and helpful answering all our questions 🙂 The rotation sites look amazing here and I was pretty impressed by their residency placement so hopefully I will hear good news soon from them 🙂

Advice: do not stay at the Comfort Inn on Finley, it's crappy (plus I thought my room was going to catch fire, I turned on the AC unit and it smelled like burning, set off the fire alarm, and the front desk didn't send anyone down to my room to check it out, awesome).

Eat at Portillo's for dinner if you are not from the area (there is one down the road from the hotel), I've always heard awesome things about that place and it was so delicious 😀

I concur the school was awesome and the area is pretty nice. The rotations for this school were great! The school seemed to be the most welcoming of the 4 i've been to. All schools say that they are not competitive and they students are all cool, but this was the only one that truly seemed like that was the case. A bunch of students came and talked to us and there was a test and everyone was passing an 18 page study guide around.
 
I concur the school was awesome and the area is pretty nice. The rotations for this school were great! The school seemed to be the most welcoming of the 4 i've been to. All schools say that they are not competitive and they students are all cool, but this was the only one that truly seemed like that was the case. A bunch of students came and talked to us and there was a test and everyone was passing an 18 page study guide around.

Haha I totally know who you are now! I still can't believe you've never seen snow. 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haha I totally know who you are now! I still can't believe you've never seen snow. 😀

Learning who you are makes me uncomfortable, I have thought you were a guy all this time and when I saw ur name on the interview group sheet I was surprised haha It made your username so much more clear, always thought Daniel was your name. And I really want to see and experience the northern lifestyle if I get in here and decide to go then from what they told us i would in fact get to see some snow haha
 
Learning who you are makes me uncomfortable, I have thought you were a guy all this time and when I saw ur name on the interview group sheet I was surprised haha It made your username so much more clear, always thought Daniel was your name. And I really want to see and experience the northern lifestyle if I get in here and decide to go then from what they told us i would in fact get to see some snow haha

Haha I knowww, I really shouldn't have chosen this username because it is so obvious who I am lol. As far as "Northern lifestyle" goes, there is no place better than Chi-town 🙂 I hope we both hear good news soon!!
 
Learning who you are makes me uncomfortable, I have thought you were a guy all this time and when I saw ur name on the interview group sheet I was surprised haha It made your username so much more clear, always thought Daniel was your name. And I really want to see and experience the northern lifestyle if I get in here and decide to go then from what they told us i would in fact get to see some snow haha

Haha, I know who both you and sedaniel are! CCOM really impressed me too, now the wait begins. Though, it shouldn't be a long one.
 
How long has it taken people to receive interview invites until their application is complete??

idk, i saw some people had pretty quick turnarounds, but unfortunately for me, i was complete mid july and no interview yet. I've already gotten into two other schools and i'm just itching to put down a deposit, but i really want to check out CCOM first.

Interview me....please 🙂
 
idk, i saw some people had pretty quick turnarounds, but unfortunately for me, i was complete mid july and no interview yet. I've already gotten into two other schools and i'm just itching to put down a deposit, but i really want to check out CCOM first.

Interview me....please 🙂

feel your pain bro. i was complete 9/18 and this is easily my first choice school.

waiting sucks. 👎
 
I really want to call and ask what the earliest time and date those of us who already interviewed will see the MWU Portal update/hear something about our status. I have some other interviews planned but traveling around the country is expensive and I just want to get an update from my top choice so I can determine whether or not to cancel the others and make room for other students at those schools. I'm in my office in the basement of our university union with no reception so if anybody does (or has) queried the admissions office regarding this issue, please let the rest of us know.
 
I really want to call and ask what the earliest time and date those of us who already interviewed will see the MWU Portal update/hear something about our status. I have some other interviews planned but traveling around the country is expensive and I just want to get an update from my top choice so I can determine whether or not to cancel the others and make room for other students at those schools. I'm in my office in the basement of our university union with no reception so if anybody does (or has) queried the admissions office regarding this issue, please let the rest of us know.

Please do that and let the rest of us know...
 
Okay, I called admissions to ask when the earliest we would hear something would be. I was informed that the admissions committee would be meeting today but even if decisions are made today (and she didn't sound like she knew what the precise agenda was), it would likely still be a few weeks until we hear something owing to the fact that the Dean must approve all committee acceptance decisions. The lady I talked to said she would expect us to receive an update mid-October. I asked if the portal would be updated earlier than we would receive anything and she said no. Of course, on this thread people have said to keep checking the portal anyway because they found out their status before they received anything via snail mail so keep doing that and expect to hear something (latest) before Halloween.
 
Does CCOM run on a quarter system (as opposed to semesters)? I thought I read this somewhere but I wasn't 100% sure?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, I called admissions to ask when the earliest we would hear something would be. I was informed that the admissions committee would be meeting today but even if decisions are made today (and she didn't sound like she knew what the precise agenda was), it would likely still be a few weeks until we hear something owing to the fact that the Dean must approve all committee acceptance decisions. The lady I talked to said she would expect us to receive an update mid-October. I asked if the portal would be updated earlier than we would receive anything and she said no. Of course, on this thread people have said to keep checking the portal anyway because they found out their status before they received anything via snail mail so keep doing that and expect to hear something (latest) before Halloween.

Oh my god!!! They are meeting today!!! 😱😱 I don't think they will change the portal that fast then. I read on last year thread the first day people found out about the acceptance was Oct 8th.
 
Ughhh now I'm freaking out, the more I agonize over my interview the more I think I did awful in it haha. I keep thinking of things I should have said differently, I need to stop lol
 
Ughhh now I'm freaking out, the more I agonize over my interview the more I think I did awful in it haha. I keep thinking of things I should have said differently, I need to stop lol

Don't worry you were very calm and confident all day i'm sure you were the same in the interview. The more time i'm removed from the interview the cost is mattering less and this is becoming more of a definite #1 for me🙂
 
Don't worry you were very calm and confident all day i'm sure you were the same in the interview. The more time i'm removed from the interview the cost is mattering less and this is becoming more of a definite #1 for me🙂

Hopefully you'll get the chance to see snow for the first time 🙂
 
You do realize that if we both end up going here I will be obligated to take you skiing sometime right? Never seen snow..... geeeeeeez 😛

I wakeboard so I would want nothing more than to go snowboarding. So is this now your #1 too?
 
I wakeboard so I would want nothing more than to go snowboarding. So is this now your #1 too?

It's up there, I'll have to see what happens. I interview at one of my state schools in October and it's one of my top choices, and I really enjoyed Albany too, but I lovvvve the Chicago area lol. I don't know if that is enough of a justification though.... I'm gonna wait and see what happens before I start worrying about it lol
 
My application status on their website now says "completed" and has said that since I competed the application. Does that change to saying that I am under review when they are reviewing me, or does it just say completed until acceptance?
 
Hello all,
I interviewed today at CCOM. I had a great experience at the school... the hotel, not so much. I'm just going to give you a warning before you make reservations...

I stayed at the Comfort Inn because I'm out of town and flew and I like that they had a free shuttle. However, when I arrived on Thursday night, the hotel didn't have any record of my reservation. I booked my flight and hotel together on Expedia, and Expedia faxed a copy of my reservation over but no one picked it up and put it into the system. So, I had to spend half an hour on phone with Expedia because the girl at the front desk wouldn't call herself, only to confirm that I had made the reservation and it was the hotel's fault.

Theeennnn, I didn't realize that my clock was 5 minutes slow, so I went downstairs and discovered I had missed the first shuttle, even though I had signed up for that shuttle and no one called the room to check if I was coming. Ok, my fault, no big deal, I'll get the next one right? WRONG!!! The manager said that the driver of the shuttle didn't have a cell phone and he had no idea when his employee would return to take the next trip. Luckily, another employee was around to take a shuttle run... HOWEVER, the second shuttle was out of gas, so I and another student had to ride in the back of an employee's car to the campus, lol. he was very nice, but didn't speak much English, so that made explaining our destination a tad difficult haha. Then, after the interview, they were supposed to pick me up again at 1:30, but didn't get there until after 2...

All-in-all, it was an extremely stressful experience, and you don't need added stress on your interview day. I adapted well because this kind of thing happens to me all the time and I've learned to anticipate disasters and to just laugh about them, but I would recommend that if you aren't into dealing with such shennanigans, stay at a different hotel and just pay to take a taxi lol.
 
My application status on their website now says "completed" and has said that since I competed the application. Does that change to saying that I am under review when they are reviewing me, or does it just say completed until acceptance?

it will say completed until you are either accepted or waitlisted, i think it will say that regardless of what happens (it may say that even if you are rejected...not 100% sure here)
 
Hello all,
I interviewed today at CCOM. I had a great experience at the school... the hotel, not so much. I'm just going to give you a warning before you make reservations...

I stayed at the Comfort Inn because I'm out of town and flew and I like that they had a free shuttle. However, when I arrived on Thursday night, the hotel didn't have any record of my reservation. I booked my flight and hotel together on Expedia, and Expedia faxed a copy of my reservation over but no one picked it up and put it into the system. So, I had to spend half an hour on phone with Expedia because the girl at the front desk wouldn't call herself, only to confirm that I had made the reservation and it was the hotel's fault.

Theeennnn, I didn't realize that my clock was 5 minutes slow, so I went downstairs and discovered I had missed the first shuttle, even though I had signed up for that shuttle and no one called the room to check if I was coming. Ok, my fault, no big deal, I'll get the next one right? WRONG!!! The manager said that the driver of the shuttle didn't have a cell phone and he had no idea when his employee would return to take the next trip. Luckily, another employee was around to take a shuttle run... HOWEVER, the second shuttle was out of gas, so I and another student had to ride in the back of an employee's car to the campus, lol. he was very nice, but didn't speak much English, so that made explaining our destination a tad difficult haha. Then, after the interview, they were supposed to pick me up again at 1:30, but didn't get there until after 2...

All-in-all, it was an extremely stressful experience, and you don't need added stress on your interview day. I adapted well because this kind of thing happens to me all the time and I've learned to anticipate disasters and to just laugh about them, but I would recommend that if you aren't into dealing with such shennanigans, stay at a different hotel and just pay to take a taxi lol.

I'm surprised so many people deal with the shuttles of local hotels. a rental car on hotwire is 12 dollars/day. I'm flat broke, but i like having the flexibility and control of when and where i get to go during my interview day.


ps, you can get great hotel deals that are almost ALWAYS cheaper on hotwire too.
 
I'm surprised so many people deal with the shuttles of local hotels. a rental car on hotwire is 12 dollars/day. I'm flat broke, but i like having the flexibility and control of when and where i get to go during my interview day.

ps, you can get great hotel deals that are almost ALWAYS cheaper on hotwire too.

You must have some mad skills or something b/c I have never seen a rental car for $12/day - even on hotwire. Cheapest I got was 24.95 a day and since it's counted as at least 2 days = over 80 dollars.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You must have some mad skills or something b/c I have never seen a rental car for $12/day - even on hotwire. Cheapest I got was 24.95 a day and since it's counted as at least 2 days = over 80 dollars.

hmmm... i think there must be something up with chicago. I just booked one in LA for $13, but I see that chicago is more expensive...
 
Hello all,
I interviewed today at CCOM. I had a great experience at the school... the hotel, not so much. I'm just going to give you a warning before you make reservations...

I stayed at the Comfort Inn because I'm out of town and flew and I like that they had a free shuttle. However, when I arrived on Thursday night, the hotel didn't have any record of my reservation. I booked my flight and hotel together on Expedia, and Expedia faxed a copy of my reservation over but no one picked it up and put it into the system. So, I had to spend half an hour on phone with Expedia because the girl at the front desk wouldn't call herself, only to confirm that I had made the reservation and it was the hotel's fault.

Theeennnn, I didn't realize that my clock was 5 minutes slow, so I went downstairs and discovered I had missed the first shuttle, even though I had signed up for that shuttle and no one called the room to check if I was coming. Ok, my fault, no big deal, I'll get the next one right? WRONG!!! The manager said that the driver of the shuttle didn't have a cell phone and he had no idea when his employee would return to take the next trip. Luckily, another employee was around to take a shuttle run... HOWEVER, the second shuttle was out of gas, so I and another student had to ride in the back of an employee's car to the campus, lol. he was very nice, but didn't speak much English, so that made explaining our destination a tad difficult haha. Then, after the interview, they were supposed to pick me up again at 1:30, but didn't get there until after 2...

All-in-all, it was an extremely stressful experience, and you don't need added stress on your interview day. I adapted well because this kind of thing happens to me all the time and I've learned to anticipate disasters and to just laugh about them, but I would recommend that if you aren't into dealing with such shennanigans, stay at a different hotel and just pay to take a taxi lol.

This is why you should volunteer to pick students up and drive them to and from the school and airport when you end up going here! 😀😀😀
 
if CCOM gives me an interview and I get accepted, I promise to volunteer to pick people up and drop them off at the airport! you hear me AdCom, I'll do it!
 
Hello all,
I interviewed today at CCOM. I had a great experience at the school... the hotel, not so much. I'm just going to give you a warning before you make reservations...

I stayed at the Comfort Inn because I'm out of town and flew and I like that they had a free shuttle. However, when I arrived on Thursday night, the hotel didn't have any record of my reservation. I booked my flight and hotel together on Expedia, and Expedia faxed a copy of my reservation over but no one picked it up and put it into the system. So, I had to spend half an hour on phone with Expedia because the girl at the front desk wouldn't call herself, only to confirm that I had made the reservation and it was the hotel's fault.

Theeennnn, I didn't realize that my clock was 5 minutes slow, so I went downstairs and discovered I had missed the first shuttle, even though I had signed up for that shuttle and no one called the room to check if I was coming. Ok, my fault, no big deal, I'll get the next one right? WRONG!!! The manager said that the driver of the shuttle didn't have a cell phone and he had no idea when his employee would return to take the next trip. Luckily, another employee was around to take a shuttle run... HOWEVER, the second shuttle was out of gas, so I and another student had to ride in the back of an employee's car to the campus, lol. he was very nice, but didn't speak much English, so that made explaining our destination a tad difficult haha. Then, after the interview, they were supposed to pick me up again at 1:30, but didn't get there until after 2...

All-in-all, it was an extremely stressful experience, and you don't need added stress on your interview day. I adapted well because this kind of thing happens to me all the time and I've learned to anticipate disasters and to just laugh about them, but I would recommend that if you aren't into dealing with such shennanigans, stay at a different hotel and just pay to take a taxi lol.

I'm very sorry to hear your story. However, personally I didn't have any problem with schedule shuttle and reservation with Comfort Inn. The driver was extremely nice and helpful. He knows exactly where to drop me in the morning too. The only thing that bothered me a little was the room smelling like sth burnt when I turned on the heater (like sedaniel has mentioned). Other than that, it was quite ok.
 
if CCOM gives me an interview and I get accepted, I promise to volunteer to pick people up and drop them off at the airport! you hear me AdCom, I'll do it!


HAHAHAHA You just wait till you see what 1st year is like
(I'm a CCOM MS1)

I have stayed at the Downers Grove Comfort Inn on Finley Rd four separate nights in the past year, with the most recent stay being in late July. I would say overall it is adequate, but nothing special at all. It's also the CHEAPEST around which is what mattered to me when I interviewed. Some of the rooms have (tolearble) odors, one of mine did not have a great draining bathtub. But overall my rooms have felt clean. Free breakfast will fill you up for your interview but is nothing great (what do you expect for 60 bucks). (BTW- DO NOT rely on the "continental breakfast" CCOM gives- its just coffee and Nutra Grain Bars) Employees have always been friendly towards me. The night before my interview I was told by front desk that the shuttle does not wait, and to show up five minutes early. Which I did. And they knew right where to take me.

Ok enough about the Comfort Inn. I LOVE CCOM even though it is totally kicking my butt. Everyone should come here. And get prepared for no sleep and lots of caffeine. 🙂

Now back to anatomy.