marglinw

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
Status
I am beginning to submit my information to the program for public health (MPH). Does anyone have experience with the length of time it takes them to make any decisions? If you are currently enrolled in one of Dartmouth's MPH or MS programs do you think you can comment on how much daily work is necessary. Do you have time to get exercise on a daily basis? Is the overall sentiment optimistic among students? Thanks for any and all responses.

AspiringDoctor9

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2003
Visit site
Status
marglinw said:
I am beginning to submit my information to the program for public health (MPH). Does anyone have experience with the length of time it takes them to make any decisions? If you are currently enrolled in one of Dartmouth's MPH or MS programs do you think you can comment on how much daily work is necessary. Do you have time to get exercise on a daily basis? Is the overall sentiment optimistic among students? Thanks for any and all responses.
Hihi,

I haven't actually been there yet, but I submitted my application in the 2nd week of December and was notified of my acceptance the first week of january. I hope this helps!

wannabedoc34

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2004
Status
Same, I submitted mine first week of feb and got acceptance in a week.

OP
marglinw

marglinw

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
Status
Very good. Hopefully, I will be seeing you guys there come September.

wannabedoc34 said:
Same, I submitted mine first week of feb and got acceptance in a week.

AtlChic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Atlanta
Status
marglinw said:

I applied at the end of January--and I found out that I got accepted within two weeks. :) So is anyone actually going there this fall? And if yes, are you going straight from undergrad. or from another professional program?

wannabedoc34

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2004
Status
If I do go, I will be going straight from undergrad. I got into the MS not the MPH.

AtlChic said:
I applied at the end of January--and I found out that I got accepted within two weeks. :) So is anyone actually going there this fall? And if yes, are you going straight from undergrad. or from another professional program?

OP
marglinw

marglinw

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
Status
I applied for the MPH. I hope it is easier to get into the MPH program then the MS. Oh well, I guess I will have to wait and see if my application is looked upon favorably!

AspiringDoctor9

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2003
Visit site
Status
Hihi guys,

I'm curious... why do you all want to go to Dartmouth's program (if you do)? I applied here but after looking at the program in more depth, I don't have much intention to go here. I feel as if I would learn much more from a traditional 2 year program, and I think the training given is only marginal. What appeals to you about this one? What are your plans after MPH?

OP
marglinw

marglinw

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
Status
I have been to Dartmouth a few times prior, and I went to college at a similar school. The weekends you can ski/board, the weeks you can stay in good shape because the campus is relatively convenient to get around and they have excellent gyms/ recreational events. The area is extremely safe, and the people are pretty relaxed and intelligent. It will be academically stimulating. The outdoors and fresh air are great. It is more enjoyable to study when everyone else is also interested in learning. You can not go wrong with it. But, if you find a place that is more comfortable then go there.

AspiringDoctor9 said:
Hihi guys,

I'm curious... why do you all want to go to Dartmouth's program (if you do)? I applied here but after looking at the program in more depth, I don't have much intention to go here. I feel as if I would learn much more from a traditional 2 year program, and I think the training given is only marginal. What appeals to you about this one? What are your plans after MPH?

AtlChic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Atlanta
Status
AspiringDoctor9 said:
Hihi guys,

Hey...I actually am deciding between Emory Univeristy's MPH program (since I live in ATlanta anyway) or Dartmouth's program. I dont want to get an MPH as a pre-med school type thing. I really want to go into this field, and eventually get a ph.d or DrPh. I am actually visiting Dartmouth to get a better feel for the area and school. The cold is going to be horrible since I'm from GA!

OP
marglinw

marglinw

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
Status
I am interested in your honest opinion of the CECS program. Please post your feelings after you go. I have only heard good things about the program. Try and visit in the spring, the campus is beautiful and the grass is greenest then.

AtlChic said:
Hey...I actually am deciding between Emory Univeristy's MPH program (since I live in ATlanta anyway) or Dartmouth's program. I dont want to get an MPH as a pre-med school type thing. I really want to go into this field, and eventually get a ph.d or DrPh. I am actually visiting Dartmouth to get a better feel for the area and school. The cold is going to be horrible since I'm from GA!

b3b3cuti3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2005
Status
marglinw,

I'd like to ask you something privately but you're not enabled to accept private messages. Could you please give me a way to contact you? This is very important. Thank you.

marglinw said:
I am interested in your honest opinion of the CECS program. Please post your feelings after you go. I have only heard good things about the program. Try and visit in the spring, the campus is beautiful and the grass is greenest then.

AtlChic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Atlanta
Status
marglinw said:
I will definitely post what I think of it--Im going on March 17-18th.

AtlChic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Atlanta
Status
marglinw said:
Hey--I visited Dartmouth last week. I was there for about 3-4 hrs touring the campus and talking to the academic recruiter asking him questions. Its a beautiful campus, even in the snow. It seems like there isnt much to do in the school in terms of "socially"...downtown hanover is really small which consists of a couple shops, restaurants, and a GAP. Majority people usually spend time outdoors skiing or something which would make sense b/c of the weather. If I end up going there, thats what Ill probably be doing there. I heard that the 9-month program should be estimated to be approximately 45k with tuition, fees, living expenses, and books. And they dont give any work study, or financial aid. The entire thing is in loans. Also, the CECS is known as a "one-room schoolhouse"...b/c its really just one room. Its one BIG room, but basically you spend all your days learning in that ONE room with other mph, ms, and maybe even some "phd" students.

Another thing that bothered me about the school was the lack of opportunities of networking. Since its in a small town, I felt like I wouldnt have the option of being exposed to career fairs or other people who could help me find a job. The majority of people are healthcare professionals or doctors, OR are going to med. school. There are very few people (like myself) who actually want to pursue a career in public health. And with that said, I felt like the opportunities were limited.

I am still deciding--and I'd love to hear what anyone else has to say about the program.

AtlChic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Atlanta
Status
frankrizzo18 said:
I am 99% sure I will be attending CECS next fall. I am already excited!!!
Hey, are you a recent graduate? Or are you planning to go on to medical school? Like basically what I'm asking is--what are you trying to gain from the MPH program at dartmouth?

prags

Spiritualdent
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2004
Kingdom of Bahrain
Status
PolarBear04 said:
I will be at Dartmouth this Fall 05!!
Hi Everyone,
I got accepted in dartmouth too..amd I want to know more about their program compared to other schools..does anyone know its ranking?

Are they just accepting people? They give their decisions really soon. I am not sure but it seems everyone who applied got in!

PolarBear04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2005
Status
Hi, I will be there in the fall! Did you just finish college? What are your intentions? Talk to you soon,

Mabeleaf said:
I'm going to the dartmouth CECS program for fall 05.

Mabeleaf

10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2005
Status
PolarBear04 said:
Hi, I will be there in the fall! Did you just finish college? What are your intentions? Talk to you soon,
I'll get my BA this May 17th :oops: I intend to go to medical school after I am finished with the dartmouth program. what about you?

PolarBear04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2005
Status
That sounds great! I am considering medical school as well as others. I do want to obtain a degree after the MPH program. Have you taken the MCAT? or are you going to do it this summer? Good luck, and I suppose I will see you in the fall! I think the program will be fun. Later,

Mabeleaf said:
I'll get my BA this May 17th :oops: I intend to go to medical school after I am finished with the dartmouth program. what about you?

Mabeleaf

10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2005
Status
PolarBear04 said:
That sounds great! I am considering medical school as well as others. I do want to obtain a degree after the MPH program. Have you taken the MCAT? or are you going to do it this summer? Good luck, and I suppose I will see you in the fall! I think the program will be fun. Later,
I took the MCAT last summer, and unless I let it expire, I don't plan on taking it again. :cool: I'll see you in the fall then. :) If you would like to talk some more, you can send private messages rather than post on this forum.

PolarBear04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2005
Status
I was wondering if any of you guys were going to work part-time? and attend CECS full time? Thanks

AtlChic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Atlanta
Status
PolarBear04 said:
I was wondering if any of you guys were going to work part-time? and attend CECS full time? Thanks
I would love to work part-time while going attending the MPH program...if I can find something. And if its something relevant to the health field, all the better!

SmartAlek

10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2004
Status
AtlChic said:
I would love to work part-time while going attending the MPH program...if I can find something. And if its something relevant to the health field, all the better!
@AtlChic

Hey AtlChic,

So did you decide to attend Dartmouth instead of Emory? :)

AtlChic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Atlanta
Status
SmartAlek said:
@AtlChic

Hey AtlChic,

So did you decide to attend Dartmouth instead of Emory? :)
yeah, I'm leaning Dartmouth...even though I like Emory's program and the Atlanta area very much. I've just lived here all my life and am looking for a change. I have even paid my Emory deposit just in case, b/c Dartmouth's deposit isnt due until June.

SmartAlek

10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2004
Status
AtlChic said:
yeah, I'm leaning Dartmouth...even though I like Emory's program and the Atlanta area very much. I've just lived here all my life and am looking for a change. I have even paid my Emory deposit just in case, b/c Dartmouth's deposit isnt due until June.
Oh ok, I see. That is a good strategy. That way you buy yourself a little more time. :luck:

eaglescout

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2005
Status
I just applied to this program and I'm worried that I might be too late in the game. The program looks great and seems like it would be something for me.

I'm trying to sending in the rest of my supplemental info ASAP! And another thing is that I took the APRIL 2005 MCAT and would greatly appreciate it if the committee takes those results into account. I got a 25N on the APRIL 2004 MCAT and I have a 3.044.

Any thoughts for this Scout!

welovelamarodom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
scout

i know from talking to the admissions office that they accept almost everyone. the woman told me they've had waitlists the last 2 years, but they don't outright reject anyone. if anything, getting your stuff in late will at worst make you wait a little. as for mcat scores/grades, i'm sure they'll wait to look at the april mcat, but then you'll have to wait until june. for an mph program, 25 doesnt sound too bad to me, unless you think you really nailed the april one. anyhow i'll be at dartmouth this fall unless i get off one of my med school waitlists, so if you have any other questions feel free to pm me.

frankrizzo18

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2005
Status
They don't outright reject anyone? I know firsthand this is not completely true. I was rejected :( not more than two months ago.

welovelamarodom said:
scout

i know from talking to the admissions office that they accept almost everyone. the woman told me they've had waitlists the last 2 years, but they don't outright reject anyone. if anything, getting your stuff in late will at worst make you wait a little. as for mcat scores/grades, i'm sure they'll wait to look at the april mcat, but then you'll have to wait until june. for an mph program, 25 doesnt sound too bad to me, unless you think you really nailed the april one. anyhow i'll be at dartmouth this fall unless i get off one of my med school waitlists, so if you have any other questions feel free to pm me.

AtlChic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Atlanta
Status
Hey to all my future CECS classmates! I don't know if anyone has found out about housing or anything, but is anyone looking for a roomate? I need oneeeee

rajloungani

10+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2005
Status
marglinw said:
Very good. Hopefully, I will be seeing you guys there come September.
hey marglin, u in the mph program at dartmouth? i'm goin there to do my mph next yr and then med school as well, so let me know that you're in!!!

rajloungani

10+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2005
Status
AspiringDoctor9 said:
Hihi guys,

i'm doing it because of the time factor: 9 months and done versus 2 yrs elsewhere! i plan on going to med school in fall 2006, so it'll be awesome being done with the mph before starting med school so i can go to the best school i get into and not have to worry about transferring where i finish the mph... plus, looking at the coursework at the cecs i think the emphasis on clinical decision-making and efficiency will be really useful (to keep in the back of our minds) during our careers as physicians. just curious: who else plans on going to med school after the masters at the cecs vs. actually working in the field or as a researcher???
***also, for those of you in at the cecs for fall 2005, are you thinking about mph or ms right now (keep in mind, you don't need to decide until at least the time we start school in the fall (i.e. you can still decide on either mph or ms) , as the nice people in academic programs told me when i visited in frigid january)? wh/ undergrad schools and/or professional experience do you have? are you livin in the north park st. grad housing, and if so, did you get a garage parking space?

-c ya all in hanover baby!!! :thumbup: :) :thumbup:

PolarBear04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2005
Status
I just received note that I got one of the quads as well as a garage spot. However, a few people from my undergraduate school are going to be attending the medical school and engineering school so we are all living off campus. I can't wait!!
ATLCHICK- sorry I think the last spot was taken but I can let you know if that person bails

rajloungani said:
i'm doing it because of the time factor: 9 months and done versus 2 yrs elsewhere! i plan on going to med school in fall 2006, so it'll be awesome being done with the mph before starting med school so i can go to the best school i get into and not have to worry about transferring where i finish the mph... plus, looking at the coursework at the cecs i think the emphasis on clinical decision-making and efficiency will be really useful (to keep in the back of our minds) during our careers as physicians. just curious: who else plans on going to med school after the masters at the cecs vs. actually working in the field or as a researcher???
***also, for those of you in at the cecs for fall 2005, are you thinking about mph or ms right now (keep in mind, you don't need to decide until at least the time we start school in the fall (i.e. you can still decide on either mph or ms) , as the nice people in academic programs told me when i visited in frigid january)? wh/ undergrad schools and/or professional experience do you have? are you livin in the north park st. grad housing, and if so, did you get a garage parking space?

-c ya all in hanover baby!!! :thumbup: :) :thumbup:

AtlChic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Atlanta
Status
Okay...so are any girls going to be at the CECS this fall...or is it just me? hehe :p

PolarBear04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2005
Status
I really hope your not the only girl AtlChic, lol. For those of you waiting on housing and/or a garage parking spot, I decided not to live on-campus. Will be living with a group from my college! So, anyone doing anything fun this summer? I am going on a road trip to Florida this sunday, except I am going to use that Amtrak cartrain service so I don't have to drive 22 hours from New Jersey!! Ciao

AtlChic said:
Okay...so are any girls going to be at the CECS this fall...or is it just me? hehe :p

fishtacos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2005
Status
Hi!
I thinking about applying to the CECS program. I was researching the field and noticed dartmouth's program is not listed under accredited programs. Anyone know why?

AtlChic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Atlanta
Status
fishtacos said:
Hi!
I thinking about applying to the CECS program. I was researching the field and noticed dartmouth's program is not listed under accredited programs. Anyone know why?
Yeah, but its accredited by the CEPH, but not ASPH. And this is b/c the ASPH only accredits "schools of public health" whereas the CEPH accredits "programs of public health". And since Dartmouth's MPH program is not part of a separate "school" they dont qualify for ASPH accreditation...but that doesnt mean that they are not a good and accredited program.

fishtacos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2005
Status
AtlChic said:
Yeah, but its accredited by the CEPH, but not ASPH. And this is b/c the ASPH only accredits "schools of public health" whereas the CEPH accredits "programs of public health". And since Dartmouth's MPH program is not part of a separate "school" they dont qualify for ASPH accreditation...but that doesnt mean that they are not a good and accredited program.
Thanks!

fishtacos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2005
Status
I just got accepted to the CECS program but put on the waitlist because there are no spots left. Anyone know anyone dropping the program before the fall???

fishtacos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2005
Status
fishtacos said:
I just got accepted to the CECS program but put on the waitlist because there are no spots left. Anyone know anyone dropping the program before the fall???
I got in!!! See you all in the Fall! Anyone still looking for a roommate?

Highclimber

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 30, 2005
Status
Hey guys,
For those of us going to CECS this fall, when are we gonna start getting information on the program and all the typical welcome to CECS paperwork?... Anybody planning on doing the "clinicals" introduction the first week? or better yet know what that week entails?

fishtacos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2005
Status
Highclimber said:
Hey guys,
For those of us going to CECS this fall, when are we gonna start getting information on the program and all the typical welcome to CECS paperwork?... Anybody planning on doing the "clinicals" introduction the first week? or better yet know what that week entails?
I don't know about the paperwork, but I asked the same question about the "clinicals" and this is the emailed response I got. "As far as the Intro to Clinical Medicine course, if you have no clinical background, then this is a good course to get you immersed in the clinical language you will be hearing and speaking throughout your time at CECS. It also gives you an opportunity to tour the Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center and the VA Medical Center, where you may spend a lot of time in working on projects for various classes." I'm planning on attending. See you in the Fall!

calcio20

10+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2004
Status
I really like Dartmouth's program. Can y'all post your numbers? I'm trying to get an idea for what they want...

calcio20

10+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2004
Status
Highclimber said:
What numbers?

GRE or MCAT and GPA.... Dartmouth is vague over the phone and on the website for their class mean. I'm trying gauge if this is a 'safety' school or elsewhere on the scale.

tia

-cs

Highclimber

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 30, 2005
Status
calcio20 said:
GRE or MCAT and GPA.... Dartmouth is vague over the phone and on the website for their class mean. I'm trying gauge if this is a 'safety' school or elsewhere on the scale.

tia

-cs
I don't know about numbers... I definately don't think its really a numbers game... My impression that it is more about the picture of the applicant that they get from the applicaiton and supporting materials. In terms of the number personally I didn't have anything spectacular but tried to present myself as a well-rounded individual... Dartmouth I think is one of the few places (and this goes for the Med school, so I have heard) that really places the emphasis on how the application reads (including personal statement, Letters of recommendation, and experiences) etc...

MLJ1126

10+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2005
Status
I just found out that I was accepted to the cecs ms program today and unless I get off Cincinnati's wait list, I will probably be there.

However, I am still gathering info, so any advice that people have would be appreciated!