Celebrating The 2nd Amendment One Fine Firearm At A Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, there was liquid snowfall from base to summit yesterday so I bailed on skiing. Instead, I decided to work on the boat, take the family to the RV and boat show and play at the gym so I didn't make it out to shoot. Today was hearts from 5:30 to 20:30.

Just too much stuff to do here.

Life is good.

Report eventually.

- pod

Members don't see this ad.

Oh. Oh my God. Went to the range on Friday. Shot 100 rounds on my 9mm and about 25 rounds on my husband's .40.

It was thrilling. Going again this Friday.

It's probably good for my pocketbook that I'm working 80-hour workweeks.

Here's my target from my first magazine

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1394606286.795181.jpg

I think that was from about 20 yards.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh. Oh my God. Went to the range on Friday. Shot 100 rounds on my 9mm and about 25 rounds on my husband's .40.

I think that was from about 20 yards.
Very nice :)

Spending a couple hours indoors today ...

168smk.jpg

What do you all think of a decent .22 for getting into the technical skills of long range shooting? I really like the savage mkii bsev

MarkIIBSEV.jpg

but I don't think I could afford both it and getting any kind of decent glass on it (NOT referring to the glass that was previously recommended to pod - sooooo far out of budget).

View attachment 179094

What do you all think of a decent .22 for getting into the technical skills of long range shooting? I really like the savage mkii bsev

I think it's a great idea, and if I ever find a 22 I really like, I'm going to buy one for just that purpose. :) For now I've just got a basic 10/22 for low recoil shorter range practice. It's OK.

You do need good ammo. The bulk Federal or Winchester on the WalMart shelf (well, it used to be on the WalMart shelf) isn't really accurate enough for useful precision practice, once you start working on wind at a couple hundred yards.

I like Wolf Match Target. It says Wolf on the box, but it's actually made in Germany by SK, which is owned by Lapua. Very good quality 22lr, about $.10/round.

but I don't think I could afford both it and getting any kind of decent glass on it (NOT referring to the glass that was previously recommended to pod - sooooo far out of budget).

If you're looking for an inexpensive but good quality rimfire scope for a precision trainer rifle, this is the answer: $249 BSA Tactical Mil-Mil Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4-14x 44mm Side Focus 1/10 Mil Adjustments First Focal MRAD Reticle Matte. The $150 off deal is permanent. I think Midway is the exclusive dealer. It tracks well, has matching mil/mil reticle and turrets, first focal plane. There's nothing else in its class until you start spending 3x as much. I bought one for the 22 rifle I'm still looking for ... in the meantime it sits on my 10/22 and it's everything it needs to be.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the recommendation on the scope! I have a good bit of shooting experience, just outside of the rifle realm, so I have pretty minimal knowledge in looking at scopes. One thing I really like about the idea of getting into precision shooting with a .22 is the fact that bulk .22 is about the same price as wolf match right now - I recently sold my SR22 pistol, partially out of need for $$, partially out of frustration with the .22 ammo market. Great plinker though :(

You do need good ammo. The bulk Federal or Winchester on the WalMart shelf (well, it used to be on the WalMart shelf) isn't really accurate enough for useful precision practice, once you start working on wind at a couple hundred yards.

22plinkster might disagree.

Jump to 9 minutes to see him banging a 21" x 24" steel plate at 500 yards with a (highly modified) Ruger 10-22 shooting bulk Federal Champion ammo. At 10:20 he starts double tapping it.

22lr36cphpfedchampion52.jpg

Before that he is banging it with his bolt action and CCI Velocitor.

22-LR-CCI-Velocitor-2-4-inch-barrel-354x200.jpg

I shoot both of these as well as some of the CCI segmented.

Worst thing you can do for 22LR rifle accuracy is clean it too often.

If you're looking for an inexpensive but good quality rimfire scope for a precision trainer rifle, this is the answer: $249 BSA Tactical Mil-Mil Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4-14x 44mm Side Focus 1/10 Mil Adjustments First Focal MRAD Reticle Matte.

Nice scope. I probably would have gone with that over my Nikon had I known about it. Maybe I will move my Nikon over to my 10-22 and pick up one of these.

- pod

I hear you that it's mostly Indian and not arrow, but that guy has talent I don't have. He could probably take a screwdriver to the crown of his gun and outshoot me with bulk ammo, left-handed, wearing someone else's rx glasses ... :)

When I miss I want to be confident that it was my fault, not the ammo's fault, or the gun's fault, or the scope's fault. When I'm goofing off banging steel, I shoot a lot of 145 gr PPU .308. When I'm practicing something specific, trigger control, positions, wind calls at distance, I use better ammo. One of these days, when I finally get that good 22 rifle I've been going on about in this thread, I'll do the same. Goofing off, cheap ammo. Practice with a goal in mind, good ammo.

Where did you find Varget (at least I assume it is Varget)?
It's IMR 4064. I haven't seen Varget in a very long time, except the occasional 1 lb jar, limited quantity per person, which kills you with the hazmat fee. I still have a little Varget, but 4064 is easier to find now.

IMR 4064 is a great .308 powder, good for heavy bullets in .223 also. The sticks are actually longer than Varget so it meters terribly. These charges were dispensed by the Hornady trickler/scale combo. I didn't even try with a volumetric powder measure. Not a powder for bulk loading. The only way to do it:

imr4064.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Any suggestions for holsters, got my 9mm MP Shield two days ago? IWB vs OWB?

I carry the Shield in a Crossbreed Supertuck. With a single stack you really shouldn't ned an OWB holster.

Nice, but $2600 is more than I think I'd ever pay for a Quad. They just did that custom run of Quads at Eurooptic ... last year? Interesting that someone would get in on that (expensive) deal, wait forever for it to get delivered, and sell it so soon.

I actually just found a P94S and bought it. Stock varmint version, for some reason seller had an extra unused factory sporter barrel too. Someone's safe queen.

p94s.jpg

He shipped it to my dealer, it arrived last week ... and the dealer sent it back because CA requires the shipper to be an FFL also. I love this state. So it'll get reshipped, and be back here in a week or two, and then I have to wait 10 days to pick it up. Because, you know, that 10 days is an important cooling-off period for someone who's already got a couple guns. :eyeroll:

Also recently picked up a 20" AR15 match service rifle upper from White Oak. Going to Camp Perry for the first time this year to do the SAFS. Looking forward to that.

Any suggestions for holsters, got my 9mm MP Shield two days ago? IWB vs OWB?

RCS Phantom modular holster. Works IWB or OWB. That's if you're ok with Kydex.
http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybigcommerce.com/smith-wesson-phantom-modular-holster/
I've carrying my Glock 19/26 in a Vanguard 2 though. Easy on/off for when the law says you have to lighten up; designed for appendix carry (which is actually really awesome) but works for IWB at any o' clock too.
http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybigcommerce.com/vanguard-holster-system/

image.jpg
If anyone is looking for a FUN plinker this is it. Browning Buckmark URX SR. With a couple easy tricks I got the trigger pull from 4 to 0.75 lbs. The NFA just cashed my check for a Sparrow. This is going to be 100x worse than waiting for Christmas!

This is with Eley Tenex, rested, 20 yards
The craziest thing about the ongoing shortages is that you can get premium 22lr ammo like Eley and Wolf for the same $ that bricks of bulk Federal are going for. And yet people are still paying $60-80 for a brick of the bulk packs.

You're going to absolutely love the Sparrow ... sometime next year. :)

The craziest thing about the ongoing shortages is that you can get premium 22lr ammo like Eley and Wolf for the same $ that bricks of bulk Federal are going for. And yet people are still paying $60-80 for a brick of the bulk packs.

You're going to absolutely love the Sparrow ... sometime next year. :)

This is why I'm thinking it's a good time to invest in a long distance trainer. If I'm going to pay premium .22 prices, I might as well take advantage of it :)

So true. Do NOT give in and buy .22 on Gunbroker without some careful research. Don't get me wrong-- I buy way too many guns on gunbroker and have nothing but good things to say about my buying experience there. However, if you're paying more than $0.10 per round including shipping, you're getting hosed.
If you are patient and keep an eye out, you can get some premium .22 ammo for less, while others pay $70 for a brick of bulk.

Bought the S&W Shield 9mm, DeSantis Intruder for IWB. Love both. Went to the range and put 150 FMJ and 100 of the defensive rounds I purchased. Took a little time to get used to the trigger and subcompact feel. Also shot 100 with my original Sig.

Bought the S&W Shield 9mm, DeSantis Intruder for IWB. Love both. Went to the range and put 150 FMJ and 100 of the defensive rounds I purchased. Took a little time to get used to the trigger and subcompact feel. Also shot 100 with my original Sig.

What's the recoil on the shield comparable to?

Joined the rifle club... pretty bare bones Savage 93 .17HMR. Took it out to the range to sight it in the other day... fun times! Headed up to my sister's place next week, they have some land for me to shoot on. Looking forward to it!

savage.JPG

Nice, my brother has a 17hmr. Pretty sure it's a Savage too.

I'm moving back to a free state next weekend. En route there will be a pit stop at my brother's house to load up all of my California-contraband. Looking forward to getting some time out in the desert too. :)

The shield is now available without a thumb safety.. I can't imagine ever grabbing anything else..

Anyone here get your hands on a Slide Fire stock? Anyone own one?

I heard about them a couple years ago but wasn't really interested. After seeing pictures of the Vegas shooter's guns I immediately went on Gunbroker and bought some for $180 each. Convinced the wife they would be a good investment.

Yesterday they were selling for almost $1000

Today Gunbroker banned them and I'm sure they will be illegal to buy soon. Even the NRA is calling for them to be banned.

I wish I would have bought more...

Anyone here get your hands on a Slide Fire stock? Anyone own one?

I heard about them a couple years ago but wasn't really interested. After seeing pictures of the Vegas shooter's guns I immediately went on Gunbroker and bought some for $180 each. Convinced the wife they would be a good investment.

Yesterday they were selling for almost $1000

Today Gunbroker banned them and I'm sure they will be illegal to buy soon. Even the NRA is calling for them to be banned.

I wish I would have bought more...

You'll want to sell them very soon then. It looks very likely that they will be outlawed since the nra has given its blessing then you will be stuck with something that at best you can't sell or possibly even a felony to possess.

You'll want to sell them very soon then. It looks very likely that they will be outlawed since the nra has given its blessing then you will be stuck with something that at best you can't sell or possibly even a felony to possess.
If it's not a felony to possess pre '86 full auto rifles, why would it be illegal to possess a bump stock?
I see the ATF making them a class three item for transfer or new purchase just like suppressors and SBR's. They will likely forbid manufacturers from making any new bump stocks after the ban though.
No way in hell they will try to take them away from people who have purchased them legally before the almost inevitable ban coming.

You aren't going to have a legal market to sell in once they ban it though so investment window looks limited but that's just my guess

You aren't going to have a legal market to sell in once they ban it though so investment window looks limited but that's just my guess

I think it depends on if they make possession illegal. In that case it would be like any illegal drug. If the sale is illegal but not possession, the basically it just makes me think of the decriminalization of marijuana. He'd be sure to have buyers.

I'm just kind of confused by the bump stock thing anyway, although I admit I'm not a gun connoisseur. Why do you need to make your gun shoot like an automatic anyway? I'm just legit curious and not attacking the gun lovers. Personally I'd love to learn marksmanship but kind of lazy and don't want to jump through the hoops where I live to do so.

The outrage is so big that I would be surprised if the simple ownership of anything full automatic doesn't get outlawed. One person killed 50+ people and hurt 500+ in just five minutes.

I'm just kind of confused by the bump stock thing anyway, although I admit I'm not a gun connoisseur. Why do you need to make your gun shoot like an automatic anyway? I'm just legit curious and not attacking the gun lovers. Personally I'd love to learn marksmanship but kind of lazy and don't want to jump through the hoops where I live to do so.

My personal opinion is that the bump fire stocks are stupid gimmicks. I don't have one and I don't want one. To function they have to be held loosely so the recoil of the rifle slides the stock over the spring, which kind of bounces the trigger against your finger. Any kind of accuracy beyond 20 or 30 yards is out the window.

Shooting a machine gun has some novelty to it. Every few years for one reason or another I get the chance to shoot some of the military's machine guns, and it's fun. If the registry hadn't been closed in 1986, I'd pay for the tax stamp to legally modify a semi-auto AR into a machinegun, just because. To be honest though ... it wouldn't get much use. There's just only so many times you can dump $10 of ammo into a dirt berm in 3 seconds before the novelty fades and you wonder why you're wasting ammo, missing the target, and dirtying up a gun you'll need to clean later.

In a sense, the existence of bump fire stocks can be laid at the feet of the 1986 Hughes amendment, which was passed by voice vote in a very underhand way (on review it looks like they didn't actually have the votes to pass it). If the MG registry wasn't closed, the market for pre-1986 legally transferrable machine guns wouldn't be artificially inflated to prices that start above $25,000 for AR15 receivers / drop-in sears. These stocks actually cost more than the federal tax stamp to legally transfer a machine gun. The only reason people buy them is because they can't afford the real thing.

(In the same vein, Sig sells a "wrist brace not-a-stock" that fits on AR pistols. It looks like a rifle stock. People use it like a rifle stock. But ATF ruled that it's not a rifle stock. Using it doesn't turn an AR pistol into a NFA-regulated AR short-barreled rifle ... the same way the ATF ruled that bump-fire stocks don't turn semi-auto rifles into machineguns. Write stupid laws ... people find stupid loopholes.)

I've posted this here before, and I won't digress too much, but the only purpose of the NFA registry is to inflate the cost of certain guns, to make it difficult or impossible for non-wealthy yet law-abiding citizens to buy them. The NFA didn't ban anything, it just priced poor people out of the market by imposing an enormous tax: $200 tax in 1934 was the equivalent of something like $3000 today. It's just Exhibit #173 in the pile of evidence showing that gun control in the US has its roots in racism and classism. Anyway, I digress.

To answer your question - to take a semi-automatic AR15 rifle and modify it be a machine gun (fires repeatedly with one press of the trigger), a few parts need to be swapped out, and the lower receiver may require some simple machine work. The parts are readily available for purchase online, as there are 600,000+ legally registered machine guns in this country that occasionally need replacement parts. Possession of all the parts to make a machine gun, when you don't have a tax stamp for a pre-1986 registered machine gun receiver, is a felony that carries a very long prison term.

The outrage is so big that I would be surprised if the simple ownership of anything full automatic doesn't get outlawed. One person killed 50+ people and hurt 500+ in just five minutes.

I'll be surprised if anything happens. The GOP owns both the House and Senate.

More likely, Democrats will publicly re-embrace gun control, and they'll lose a bunch of winnable elections because of it. It really makes me shake my head. There's a tide swelling toward a resounding Democratic victory in the mid-term elections next year ... but mark my words, if they spend the next 6-12 months with renewed vigor for gun control, they'll squander the chance. I fully expect this to happen. They just can't help themselves. In a sense, gun-control Democrats are like anti-abortion Republicans ... except the Democrats are better at lying about their end goal than the Republicans are.

I suppose it's possible we'll see bump fire stocks outlawed. It is, after all, a shoulder thing that goes up.

Reactions: 2 users
I think it depends on if they make possession illegal. In that case it would be like any illegal drug. If the sale is illegal but not possession, the basically it just makes me think of the decriminalization of marijuana. He'd be sure to have buyers.

Agree with pgg-- bump stocks are a novelty for wasting ammo. I'm a big time 2nd amendment guy and still think it's absurd these stocks are so easy to get.
There's about a 0% chance I'll put them on any of my rifles. But hey, they might make me a few grand. I'll likely just hold on to them and pass them down to he kids

The joking side of me was thinking, "If you need a bump stop to hunt, the maybe you need to work on your aim.":rofl:

(this was me just being silly and keeping the thread light)

I'll be surprised if anything happens. The GOP owns both the House and Senate.

More likely, Democrats will publicly re-embrace gun control, and they'll lose a bunch of winnable elections because of it. It really makes me shake my head. There's a tide swelling toward a resounding Democratic victory in the mid-term elections next year ... but mark my words, if they spend the next 6-12 months with renewed vigor for gun control, they'll squander the chance. I fully expect this to happen. They just can't help themselves. In a sense, gun-control Democrats are like anti-abortion Republicans ... except the Democrats are better at lying about their end goal than the Republicans are.

I suppose it's possible we'll see bump fire stocks outlawed. It is, after all, a shoulder thing that goes up.

You mean a representative who is an outspoken opponent of abortion might do something like encourage his mistress to get an abortion? No way, that would never happen.

I don't think the democrats will waste much time on gun control anymore. A couple of tweets to wink at their base, but beyond that this issue fades in a couple of weeks. If 20 dead preschoolers didn't encourage vigorous debate about gun laws in this country then this sure as heck won't either.

Reactions: 2 users
You mean a representative who is an outspoken opponent of abortion might do something like encourage his mistress to get an abortion? No way, that would never happen.

I don't think the democrats will waste much time on gun control anymore. A couple of tweets to wink at their base, but beyond that this issue fades in a couple of weeks. If 20 dead preschoolers didn't encourage vigorous debate about gun laws in this country then this sure as heck won't either.

honestly, with all the craziness in the world, I wouldn't be shocked if prior anti-Democrats are "toolin' up" as the kids say.

If 20 dead preschoolers didn't encourage vigorous debate about gun laws in this country then this sure as heck won't either.
Well, that’s just it. Sandy Hook did spark a vigorous debate about gun laws, and the Democrats made a very strong push for sweeping gun control at the federal level. But it failed (for several reasons) and that effort drove a lot of voters away from their party.

Gun control advocates like to pretend that gun control efforts are failing because the country refuses to talk about it, that we refuse to have a debate. The truth is we talk about it and debate it all the time, bills are introduced all the time, and they fail all the time because the notion is foolish, unconstitutional, and the people don’t want it (and aren’t shy about telling their reps how they’ll vote in the next election).

They pretend that the NRA is some monstrous evil lobbying tool of callous death device manufacturers, thwarting noble gun control efforts through corrupt back door channels. The truth is that the NRA is its membership, millions of Americans, and we give them lots of money to work to stop those efforts.

Federal gun control efforts haven’t overwhelmingly failed over the last 20+ years because we won’t talk about it. It has failed because we do talk about it. They only areas where it has progressed are regions of concentrated Democratic power where the “vigorous debate” is an echo chamber. When we have the debate at the national level, these bad ideas fail.

Please stop pretending we’re not talking about it. We’re talking about it right now, again.

Reactions: 3 users