Certification to Volunteer in Hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GT500

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In order to work in my hospital pharmacy, the volunteer manager says I need to become certified. I am not sure if I have to take the PTCB test and become nationally certified or pay a fee (40$) to become certified under Illinois. Here is the website I found https://www.idfpr.com/applications/OnlineLicensing/Instructions.aspx?Data=txcIGZV/Z2v1yjU+Qo1KeQ== If anyone has gone through hospital procedure to become certified, please share your insight. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

In order to work in my hospital pharmacy, the volunteer manager says I need to become certified. I am not sure if I have to take the PTCB test and become nationally certified or pay a fee (40$) to become certified under Illinois. Here is the website I found https://www.idfpr.com/applications/OnlineLicensing/Instructions.aspx?Data=txcIGZV/Z2v1yjU+Qo1KeQ== If anyone has gone through hospital procedure to become certified, please share your insight. Thanks.

It sounds like they are just wanting to cover themselves for JCO, or however they have changed the acronym now for joint commission. I would ask the manager which cert they want. I don't know what the state cert requires, but the PTCB one is a pretty intense test that you will have difficulty passing if you don't study for a while before taking the test.

PTCB is pretty easy to pass. I studied for about 2 weeks with a self-study review book. My girlfriend studied for 3 days... She passed. It's mostly basic math calculation anyway. I say study for a week or two and take the exam to become certified. In IL you don't need to become certified to get the state pharm tech license. You just need a high school diploma/GED. That website you posted is for IL pharm tech license application.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will have to ask the manager Monday to be sure but essentially I can pay 40$ + the convenience fee (3$) to receive my pharm. tech license, right?

From what I have heard, unless things have changed, they put out different tests that have emphasis in different areas. One will be more math based, one more insurance based, etc. I would definitely get a book and study it so you know what you're getting into before hand. I didn't study at all and I passed it, but I had also gone through a good number of my pre-req classes and I was able to figure out most of the test.

If it is math based it should not be too hard to study, because I have taken Calc II and just finished physical chemistry in my spring semester. But if it has to do with drug names and interactions then I will probably will have to study for about a month or so.

The math is pretty simple, you should look up how to do allegations for pharmacy and drip rates. Other than that, it's pretty simple algebra b/c the only calculator you can bring is a simple four function one.

It's really basic algebra. You'll be fine.