Certification to Volunteer in Hospital

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by GT500, May 30, 2008.

1. GT500

GT500 Accepted Pharmacy Student

Pre-Pharmacy
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. IrishRxMan

Pharmacy Student
    It sounds like they are just wanting to cover themselves for JCO, or however they have changed the acronym now for joint commission. I would ask the manager which cert they want. I don't know what the state cert requires, but the PTCB one is a pretty intense test that you will have difficulty passing if you don't study for a while before taking the test.

4. JSK PharmD

JSK PharmD Accepted Pharmacy Student

Pharmacy Student
    PTCB is pretty easy to pass. I studied for about 2 weeks with a self-study review book. My girlfriend studied for 3 days... She passed. It's mostly basic math calculation anyway. I say study for a week or two and take the exam to become certified. In IL you don't need to become certified to get the state pharm tech license. You just need a high school diploma/GED. That website you posted is for IL pharm tech license application.

5. GT500

Pre-Pharmacy
    I will have to ask the manager Monday to be sure but essentially I can pay 40$ + the convenience fee (3$) to receive my pharm. tech license, right?

6. IrishRxMan

Pharmacy Student
    From what I have heard, unless things have changed, they put out different tests that have emphasis in different areas. One will be more math based, one more insurance based, etc. I would definitely get a book and study it so you know what you're getting into before hand. I didn't study at all and I passed it, but I had also gone through a good number of my pre-req classes and I was able to figure out most of the test.

7. GT500

Pre-Pharmacy
    If it is math based it should not be too hard to study, because I have taken Calc II and just finished physical chemistry in my spring semester. But if it has to do with drug names and interactions then I will probably will have to study for about a month or so.

8. IrishRxMan

Pharmacy Student
    The math is pretty simple, you should look up how to do allegations for pharmacy and drip rates. Other than that, it's pretty simple algebra b/c the only calculator you can bring is a simple four function one.

9. GatorRxGirl

Pharmacy Student
    It's really basic algebra. You'll be fine.