This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

socscipremed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Recently I came across a program through Child Family Health International that would allow me to travel to the Big Island of Hawaii and learn about the impact of non-communicable diseases and healthcare on the native Hawaiian population. I found it very interesting as a global health major as my interest is starting to lean towards the effect of non-comunicable diseases in vulnerable populations.

My only concern is that medical school admissions committees might look down on me for going to a more "developed region" for this kind of service/learning trip. CFHI also offers trips internationally to areas with even greater health disparities than the U.S. However, my parents will not allow me to travel to such regions for fear of my safety and their peace of mind. I believe this is a great compromise for the both of us.

What is your thoughts about this? Do you think this would be negative on my application (might be considered voluntourism but I heard CFHI is a good organization)? Has anyone gone on this trip and can tell me more about their experience?

Thank you very much in advance!

Link to experience: Community Health and Native Healing in Hawai'i | Child Family Health International

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Save the $4500 and volunteer at home. There are plenty of opportunities near you that would be more beneficial to your app and your help would be more beneficial to the community.

Reactions: 1 user