cgpa 3.35 sgpa 2.6 mcat 519 great ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ik112

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
HELP! I have a very low science and cumulative gpa. im going to be honest there is not a trend present in my science grades, although I am ending on a strong note. Due to some personal commitments/issues I have to at least attempt to get into a program this cycle. My EC are pretty good, writer for publication, hundreds of volunteer hours at different programs, Medical Assisting classes, medical volunteer abroad, volunteer summer teacher abroad, volunteer SAT coach in undeserved population, intern at domestic abuse NGO, Research Assistant, Shadowing experience, working for 8+ years, Model UN. My mcat is 519. What are my chances of getting into a DO, if i apply this cycle? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Retake courses quickly before your MCAT expires and learn a valuable lesson, your grades are your fault, not your families.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand and I own up to my actions, but losing 12 members of your family in the span of year and half, with your sibling at stage 4 cancer is not something easy to deal with, along with myself being in an out of the hospital. I'm not trying to garner sympathy or act like a sob story but it definitely takes a toll on you in many ways.

I understand, I do. My school doesn't care that I have football and basketball games for my sons, a wife, an ex-wife, a mortgage, etc. They don't care. I struggle, I do. Your situation is different, but the same. If you want to do this career you'll need to find a way. Period.

The sooner you accept your problems, the sooner you can find solutions to them.

I'd start with a real conversation about that MCAT, it will open doors in the DO world. Retake some classes and you have a shot. What else do you want to hear from me?

Otherwise, reboot. Study for the MCAT then fix the grades. Either way you need to fix the grades.

Reactions: 1 users
I understand, I do. My school doesn't care that I have football and basketball games for my sons, a wife, an ex-wife, a mortgage, etc. They don't care. I struggle, I do. Your situation is different, but the same. If you want to do this career you'll need to find a way. Period.

The sooner you accept your problems, the sooner you can find solutions to them.

I'd start with a real conversation about that MCAT, it will open doors in the DO world. Retake some classes and you have a shot. What else do you want to hear from me?

Otherwise, reboot. Study for the MCAT then fix the grades. Either way you need to fix the grades.
I understand fixing my gpa, but are you saying a 519 MCAT is not good? the average is around 501, I'm in the 97th percentile

I understand fixing my gpa, but are you saying a 519 MCAT is not good? the average is around 501, I'm in the 97th percentile

No it's good. Get in while the gettings good. <banging head on wall> Use the damn MCAT, but you have to fix the other **** fast.

IMO, I'd say you have a decent shot at DO schools and state MDs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
HELP! I majored in Human biology, minored in human rights. Have a healthy span of classes both in science and social services. Due to very intense family/personal problems during the middle-end of my college career, i have a low science and overall gpa, im going to be honest there is not a trend present in my science grades, although I am ending on a strong note. due to those issues, i have to at least attempt to get in during this cycle. My EC are pretty good, writer for publication, multiple volunteer hours, Medical Assisting classes, medical volunteer abroad, volunteer summer teacher abroad, volunteer SAT coach in undeserved population, intern at domestic abuse NGO, Research Assistant, Shadowing experience, working for 8+ years, Model UN. My mcat is 519. What are my chances of getting into a DO, if i apply this cycle? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Go dig up my post on reinvention for pre-meds

Go dig up my post on reinvention for pre-meds
thank you, that was really helpful, Ive retaken the two classes that brought down my gpa, but unfortunately the damage had been done and was not enough to push my gpa back up. Im well on the way to receiving an A in biochemistry and physics 2 this semester. SMP is something ive been looking into and quite interested in. I was hoping that my MCAT would give me some edge to get into a good SMP at a well established school.

With a 2.6 sGPA ?? Really?? I’d think ADCOMS would wonder how in the heck someone with a 2.6 sGPA managed an extraordinary 519 MCAT.
Maybe or maybe not. Because I've seen people get in with those stats before.

Edit: Maybe those people had really extraordinary ECs, or maybe they found great reasons to explain their discrepancies. But nevertheless, I've seen it before. Since OP needs to put his/her best foot forward, I'd say try to improve that sGPA before applying DO because being a reapplicant never helped anybody.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user