cGPA 3.45, sGPA 3.17, MCAT 28 (sort of non-trad)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skazki354

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current stats are above (upward trend senior year with c3.71 and s3.85; 4.0 second semester senior year). I'm a SC resident who graduated in 2014 and is looking to apply next summer, that is, enter med school fall 2017 (so it'll have been three years out of school for me).

It was only after graduating that I realized medicine might be the path for me (of which I'm now convinced), and I squeezed in the MCAT right before jetting off to France to teach English for the school year. I got back a couple of months ago and have since completed an EMT class and will test for my certification in September.

I'm applying to medically-related jobs right now and am hoping some of those pan out before I start taking a few classes at my local university. I plan on taking about 15-18 hours of bio/chem/math classes throughout the year while studying for the MCAT and working.

ECs are pretty weak for now, but I'm going to work on that this year. All I've got right now is president of my university's French National Honor Society chapter (a little less than a year) and 15 years of music lessons. So I plan to do lots of shadowing and volunteering (none of that really either) this year.

Now, it's about to get very speculative, but please humor me.

If I were able to increase my stats to cGPA 3.51 and sGPA 3.31 with classes this year and managed to score let's say a 512 on the MCAT in 2016 as well as fitting in some decent volunteer work and shadowing while working in a medically-related job, would I reasonably stand a chance for my state schools (Medical University of SC, University of SC-Columbia, and University of SC-Greenville)? I prefer to stay in-state anyway and would likely apply to DO schools as well (where I know I'd probably fare better).

Believe me, I understand how terrible my application is, but I'm going to spend the whole year working on it.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can improve like you plan on doing, then yes, you should be OK for the SC schools.
Thanks for the response. Is there anything you would recommend that might make me an even better applicant (outside of the obvious)? Pretty much everyone on this forum is more sage than I am, you especially, so I'll take any and all advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Work on the ECs. I have a fondness for tutoring poor children, and Habitat for Humanity. On the clinical side, try hospice or nursing home.

Don't be a cookie cutter. Show off that altruism.

Thanks for the response. Is there anything you would recommend that might make me an even better applicant (outside of the obvious)? Pretty much everyone on this forum is more sage than I am, you especially, so I'll take any and all advice.

Reactions: 1 user
Work on the ECs. I have a fondness for tutoring poor children, and Habitat for Humanity. On the clinical side, try hospice or nursing home.

Don't be a cookie cutter. Show off that altruism.
Sounds good to me. I'd actually been planning on tutoring (since I've got a background in it) at my local library as well as hospice, so this advice fits in with my plans well. Thanks again for your responses.

Reactions: 1 user