MD cGPA 3.91 sGPA 3.85 MCAT 502 (MI)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryuzel079

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT Scores:
126/125/126/125
Yes balanced, but LOW.

I'm thinking of Michigan medical schools (besides U of M)

Honestly, I'm just trying to get some feedback, I'm not going to waste any money for the secondaries, if I know that the chances are zero... If I could just have an honest opinion.

EC's
Volunteer: weekly: 80 (50+ medical - ongoing, 30 non-medical)
Bio tutor: 2+ years (Genetics, Foundation of Bio, Systems phys)
Worked at summer camp (great experience)
30+ hours of shadowing (Heart surgeon, ENT surgeon, pain physician, anesthesiologist, radiologist, internal)
Mission trip (Middle East, also fantastic experience)
Heavy church involvement.

I've gotten secondaries from the Michigan schools, but I'm wondering if I should ACTUALLY apply to them. (Western, MSUCHM, Wayne, and Beaumont)

Would I have any type of chance of an interview at any of those schools?

Thanks ahead of time!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, send in those secondaries ( and include Central Michigan too). Your chances are low but with your excellent GPA you could receive receive an interview. Add some OOS schools such as Quinnipiac, Rosalind Franklin, NYMC. You are also competitive for most DO schools.

Yes, send in those secondaries ( and include Central Michigan too). Your chances are low but with your excellent GPA you could receive receive an interview. Add some OOS schools such as Quinnipiac, Rosalind Franklin, NYMC. You are also competitive for most DO schools.

Thank you for your reply!

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess you can send in the secondaries for MI schools. Did you apply to DO schools, especially MSU? Your best chance is for an acceptance is at DO schools. Your MCAT is around a 26-27 on the old scale. That's pretty low for MD even with your great GPAs. See what happens and if you have no luck by Feb you should seriously think about a retake . With your GPA and a better MCAT you would have a great shot at some MD schools. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Invest in MSAR. Apply as if you have a 26/27. Target schools where the 10th percentile MCAT is right at your score or within a point of it and that take a fair amount of OOS students(note not schools with low MCAT 10th percentiles like U of Arkansas or North Dakota). I think Oakland, Michigan State, Wayne State, Central Michigan and Western Michigan are probably worth an application, especially Oakland, Wayne and CMU. Out of State, I might give consideration to Rosalind, WVU, TCMC and NYMC(again invest in MSAR). None of those are great options(WVU and TCMC are quirky schools that also have IS bias, Rosalind and NYMC get tons of apps) but really it's hard to recommend those or any other schools where the 10th percentile MCAT is above 27(and at the absolute highest 28).

You will generate alot of interest from DO schools. You will become a much more viable MD candidate if you re-take the MCAT for next cycle and hit the 510 mark.

MSUCOM, MUCOM, LECOM, OhCOM, CCOM and DMU come to mind.

MCAT Scores:
126/125/126/125
Yes balanced, but LOW.

I'm thinking of Michigan medical schools (besides U of M)

Honestly, I'm just trying to get some feedback, I'm not going to waste any money for the secondaries, if I know that the chances are zero... If I could just have an honest opinion.

EC's
Volunteer: weekly: 80 (50+ medical - ongoing, 30 non-medical)
Bio tutor: 2+ years (Genetics, Foundation of Bio, Systems phys)
Worked at summer camp (great experience)
30+ hours of shadowing (Heart surgeon, ENT surgeon, pain physician, anesthesiologist, radiologist, internal)
Mission trip (Middle East, also fantastic experience)
Heavy church involvement.

I've gotten secondaries from the Michigan schools, but I'm wondering if I should ACTUALLY apply to them. (Western, MSUCHM, Wayne, and Beaumont)

Would I have any type of chance of an interview at any of those schools?

Thanks ahead of time!