challenge/adversity essay ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FroYoOreo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
problem solved, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have been brainstorming topics for my challenge/adversity essay, and I came up with three potential topics. If I can get some feedback on which one works the best (or if none of them works), that would be great! Thanks!

1. In my research lab, I was working on experimenting this new ultrasound technique to get mouse brain biopsy, but the mouse keeps dying. So I lowered the intensity but now the trace of tissue DNA in the blood is too thin to be detected. Because it is an unsuccessful attempt, the research paper got rejected almost everywhere. However, I do think this research is important, so people don't keep doing the same experiment (and then fail). I have rephrased the paper to focus more on intensity and tissue damage, instead of justifying that this new technique will work.
2. Due to a traumatic event (failed investment and lost half of our savings), my fiance got very depressed and was once suicidal. Using my knowledge of psychotherapy and CBT (from work), I managed to control his symptoms and encouraged him to convert that frustration into motivation.
3. Language barrier. I am not a native English speaker. During my education here in the States, I spent more time and effort than native speakers to pronounce things right, and correct my accent.

Any feedback/comment is appreciated. Thanks!
I would say to go with the one that you feel like you have the most connection with, something that lets the people reading your paper get to know you a little better. For example, I am writing mine on a close friend who passed away during college. Go with the idea that means the most to you.

I would say to go with the one that you feel like you have the most connection with, something that lets the people reading your paper get to know you a little better. For example, I am writing mine on a close friend who passed away during college. Go with the idea that means the most to you.
I am sorry to hear about your friend passed away.
I will probably go with the language barrier topic because it is such a big part of my life, and I worked very hard to overcome such challenge.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am sorry to hear about your friend passed away.
I will probably go with the language barrier topic because it is such a big part of my life, and I worked very hard to overcome such challenge.

Having lived in another country and struggled to learn in school when both the language and material were new to me -- THIS, 1000x this. It's a very relatable challenge with many upside opportunities and very little downside. It will also help you develop the empathy and humility you'll need to succeed in medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
Writing was always my weak point, I always wondered where do other people get inspiration and necessary patience to write something longer than 150 words. There are many different sources which help to develop writing skills, ready informative essays ideas and useful advices, but I guess everything is about talent, or at least certain inclinations. Reading must be rather effective, too, but I can really read much, and still feeling no inspiration to write something.

Writing was always my weak point, I always wondered where do other people get inspiration and necessary patience to write something longer than 150 words. There are many different sources which help to develop writing skills, ready informative essays ideas and useful advices, but I guess everything is about talent, or at least certain inclinations. Reading must be rather effective, too, but I can really read much, and still feeling no inspiration to write something.
One can also use a voice recorder and simply talk out one's ideas, transfer it to MS WORD, and then edit down.

Reactions: 1 user