Challenge/adversity essay ideas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buckoh24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been struggling trying to figure out a topic to write about for this. I have a couple ideas but not too sure which would be considered unique. It seems like most of my adversity that I havent mentioned elsewhere in my app has happened prior to college and Im not sure if that is fine.

1. (Only use if there isnt a diversity essay also) Growing up gay in a rural conservative area and the struggles associated with facing homophobia from peers and family members. Come out in college and then working in the LGBT+ community to help others going through similar experiences and also trying to break down stereotypes of gay men.

2. Been a model/actor since I was 3 and overcoming struggles with self worth because of not being "good enough" for jobs (especially during middle school/high school when people develop their identity and stuff). Began to realize that Im a unique individual and that I may not have fit their criteria but that doesnt determine my self worth. (I feel like this subject may be taken the wrong way and may make me seem like a spoiled brat with "model problems")

3. Parents signed me up for track (and cross country) and I started out not even being able to run a mile. Worked really hard over the 4 years to become the fastest runner on our team and one of the top 50 in school history despite being the "fat kid" of the team (soccer thighs helped with hills).

4. (This expands upon my disadvantage essay) Going to a rural public school that had bad financial troubles so I would drive 40 min to a college to take classes at the local university. Was spreading myself thin with work, 2 sports in one season, and taking a full class load because my school didnt offer AP and I didnt want to fall behind when starting college.

5. Dealing with homophobic roommates my sophomore year who were disruptive. The 3 girls I lived with wanted to leave so badly that they paid rent for summer but moved home because they couldnt stand living with the 2 other guys anymore. Constant parties and would threaten me if I did any "gay stuff" around them. I would try to talk to them and they just seemed to hate my existence. Got so bad to the point where I would climb in and out of the window (we were on the ground floor so nothing drastic). We had to write 1 check for rent and the one guy ended up "losing" 2 months of out rent despite going on shopping sprees and ended up being sued by our landlord.

EDIT: Deleted #6 cuz it probably wouldnt be good

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1-5 all seem good to me if written well. I wouldn't do 6, as it seems a little bit more removed from YOU. These things are very subjective and interpretation will vary from one reader to the next.

I think you'll be just fine. Just have multiple someones proofread and offer feedback.

I think diversity essays from pre-university times are fine.

Reactions: 1 user
1-5 all seem good to me if written well. I wouldn't do 6, as it seems a little bit more removed from YOU. These things are very subjective and interpretation will vary from one reader to the next.

I think you'll be just fine. Just have multiple someones proofread and offer feedback.

I think diversity essays from pre-university times are fine.
Do you think any of them may be stronger than other? I may try to steer clear of gay related topics because its in my PS, Activities, ect so I feel like I should maybe focus on something else even tho #1 was probably my biggest adversity. I talked about rural+lgbt in my diversity statement so I dont want it to be too redundant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think any of them may be stronger than other? I may try to steer clear of gay related topics because its in my PS, Activities, ect so I feel like I should maybe focus on something else even tho #1 was probably my biggest adversity. I talked about rural+lgbt in my diversity statement so I dont want it to be too redundant.
I personally thought 1 was the strongest!

I personally thought 1 was the strongest!
Thats how I feel too and Im going to probably use it for schools that dont have a diversity essay. I made my diversity essay a mix of adversity that shows my diversity and what I learned so I feel it may be slightly repetitive. And with such little space to make an impression, Im trying to maximize my story from multiple angles (tho I do agree that #1 would probably make the strongest essay by itself)

Thats how I feel too and Im going to probably use it for schools that dont have a diversity essay. I made my diversity essay a mix of adversity that shows my diversity and what I learned so I feel it may be slightly repetitive. And with such little space to make an impression, Im trying to maximize my story from multiple angles (tho I do agree that #1 would probably make the strongest essay by itself)
This sounds like a pretty solid plan!

1. Growing up gay in a rural conservative area and the struggles associated with facing homophobia from peers and family members. Come out in college and then working in the LGBT+ community to help others going through similar experiences and also trying to break down stereotypes of gay men.
This....this ...this....this.

2. Been a model/actor since I was 3
use this for diversity prompts plus being LGBT. VERY few med students have modeling/acting backgrounds.

Reactions: 1 users