Challenge/Adversity Interview question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am guessing that "what is a big challenge that you have overcome" is a common interview question...

So this is one of the cases where I think the truth might not be best. I was wondering if mentioning sexual assault would be an inappropriate answer. I personally don't believe it is but when I asked a few friends, they said it might come off as inappropriate but then again I'm not sure.

Since I'm not really open about it to many of my peers, I was limited to who I could ask.. And here I am. I probably will delete this post later just because my username is quite revealing.

So what do y'all think?

Thanks in advance. :)

P.S. I am completely over it and feel fine discussing it. And I would appreciate if no one comments about me seeking help. Thank you for caring but I am really fine.

Members don't see this ad.

I wish it weren't because we absolutely need to be more open about sexual assault, but I think that it might be a bad move because it's likely to create a situation in which your interviewer won't know how to respond, since we're all so accustomed to sweeping it under the rug. I'm sure it wouldn't be held against you, but I think it has the potential to create an uncomfortable interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Sexual assault is a very heavy topic for a 30 minute interview. I'd avoid it.

It's in your best interest to present yourself as upbeat and energetic. You want your interviewer to associate you with good feels. It will be hard to do this if your conversation focuses on sexual assault.

(This is why it's awkward when schools ask, "What is the greatest challenge you have faced?". Many of us are forced to answer insincerely, because the greatest challenge we have faced is extremely personal.)

Reactions: 1 user