Challenge Essay Secondary Topic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dplom

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm writing my challenge secondary essay right now and the main challenge I wanted to write about is how when I was growing up and even in high school, I struggled a lot with my motor skills, to the point that tying my shoes as a young kid was hard. I improved a lot because I just kept practicing fine motor movements and now I don't really have any problems as I'm able to run tests on patients just fine for my research, some of which do require pretty fine dexterity as one requires attaching electrodes in the right place for neurostimulation. However, I've been reading that you shouldn't mention mental illness as a challenge because it can turn off adcom's and I was wondering if they could feel the same way about my former issues with my motor skills, as I don't want them to think that I would be a burden to have in a medical school class. Reading the technical standards on the secondary applications I definitely feel that I would be able to complete them as I really don't have any issues with my motor skills at the moment. Can anyone comment if this would be a potential red flag? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you do use it, I think it would be more beneficial to connect it to some value of perseverance, dedication, etc

These challenge prompts are trying to find evidence that you're a mature/resilient person, so it makes sense to want to show how you've grown as a person through the experience imo

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think it's fine! If you are really worried, make it clear that you have overcome this challenge. ADCOMs are smart, they'll get it.

Members don't see this ad :)
@sss1219 thanks! I wrote about the coping skills I learned and how these coping skills have translated to other areas in my life and how this experience really changed my outlook to solving problems/handling situations so I think this experience did really show I grew.

@AttemptingScholar that's what I was thinking too! I know my PI said she would mention that I was very skilled and helpful in running tests on her patients for our research in her rec letter so hopefully that helps stop any doubts

Reactions: 1 user