Chance for a DO to apply IM, or EM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unknown2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im a DO student. What is a chance for me to apply allopathic (MD) IM or EM programs? I just got my USMLE step 1 report today. It's 219/93. Im really concerned about my chance since i dont think my score is good enough.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

Im a DO student. What is a chance for me to apply allopathic (MD) IM or EM programs? I just got my USMLE step 1 report today. It's 219/93. Im really concerned about my chance since i dont think my score is good enough.

Not sure about EM (will let others comment on that), but for IM, your score is decent for a mid-tier university ACGME IM program. Getting good inpatient expsosure to IM during 3rd year, and having an excellent medicine subI/AI rotation during your 4th year will make you more competitive. Redflags (this was your second USMLE attempt, you have failures in your first two years, you took 3-4 years to complete MS1-MS2, you have a felony record, etc) will obviously make you less competitive :p

The programs history with DOs as residents as well as their familarity, will also come into play but it's hard to tell how much. There are a few programs who have never had DOs, and others who take DOs on regular basis (and most are in between, who have DOs occasionally)

you're on the low end of the avg for an ACGME for EM, but thats not unheard of. EM values your letters of rec (esp one from a respected Doc in the field), as well as your clinical evals. Bust your butt over the next 2 yrs and you stand a good chance! It'll be all about the hard work from here on out

I should add, EM is fast becoming a VERY competitive field. Work hard for a good step 2 score! GL!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Your scores are fine. I got into a allopathic program, university program, with much lower scores.

Umm... you're set dude. Shoot for the stars. I matched IM easily at an awesome program with a score slightly below yours. When it comes to IM or EM, programs are showing mad love for DOs. In fact, if you want to do Anesthesia, the world is yours.

Def. competitive for both, depending on the exact program. There are a huge amount of mid-tier programs, including university, and community programs that would be happy to have you in their program.

I agree you are fine for both, do well on your auditions though, at the least apply to programs that are dually accredited. :) Good luck!