Chance me - Predental Admissions Chances 2018-19

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madelinegmiller

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I am applying to dental schools in the 2018-2019 admissions cycle.

I have a 3.67 GPA 3.52 science GPA (with +/-).
My DAT scores are a bit low:
PAT 19, QR 19, RC 21, Bio 17, Gen Chem 21, Org Chem 23, AA = 20

200+ shadowing hours
2.5 years of organic chemistry undergraduate research (1 publication)
and various extracurriculars

What do you think my chances are of getting in to one of the following schools/any suggestions? (I'm from CA)

UCSF
UOP
USC
UCLA
UNLV
NYU
Nova
Arizona
Loma Linda
Western

are these schools worth applying to with the extreme out of state disadvantage? (I have strong family connections in Texas & have a strong desire to live there)
LSU
Texas A&M
UT Houston
UT San Antonio

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Take off UF, another school with OOS disadvantage

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the schools you have now are fine. Are some of them reaches? Sure, but you never know where you'll get an interview from. I might add a few more privates to your list - MWU-AZ/IL, Tufts, BU, and maybe LECOM.

Reactions: 1 user
the average for accepted students to the TX schools are 3.68gpa, 3.64 science gpa, and 20.9 AA. I heard that oos students have to have ridiculous stats to get interviewed, but not sure so just keep that in mind
Yeah I'm pretty discouraged by that and would probably only apply to A&M, because I have immediate family connections that are in PhD and vet school there. Thank you for the reply.

your stats don't match up for UCSF. if i were you i wouldn't waste my money applying to that school. LSU is VERY unfriendly to OOS unless if youre from Arkansas..and they have a chalk curving section that's part of their interview. if you read LSU's website, they really much stated on their they won't accept any OOS ppl (if you read in between the lines). and UT Austin doesn't have a dental school. Texas has a dental school in Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston. Honestly I wouldn't waste my time with Texas schools, your stats isn't high enough (family ties doesn't really boost your chances either). I've heard Loma Linda is a religious dental school and you need a rec letter from a pastor or something.
thank you for the advice, I appreciate it

Hi!
I am applying to dental schools in the 2018-2019 admissions cycle.

I have a 3.67 GPA 3.52 science GPA (with +/-).
My DAT scores are a bit low:
PAT 19, QR 19, RC 21, Bio 17, Gen Chem 21, Org Chem 23, AA = 20

200+ shadowing hours
2.5 years of organic chemistry undergraduate research (1 publication)
and various extracurriculars

What do you think my chances are of getting in to one of the following schools/any suggestions? (I'm from CA)

UCSF
UOP
USC
UCLA
UNLV
NYU
Nova
Arizona
Loma Linda
Western

are these schools worth applying to with the extreme out of state disadvantage? (I have strong family connections in Texas & have a strong desire to live there)
LSU
Texas A&M
UT Houston
UT San Antonio

Those stats are very similar to mine. I've posted a few threads before, with my stats, for the previous cycle when I applied. My science was maybe a hair higher, apart from that it's pretty much the same. Same AA20 but my PAT saved me with 24PAT. I'm a California resident (San Francisco native), prior Navy, did a post-bac to take all my sciences. So maybe different experiences, but regardless I think you have a great shot. I didn't apply to Texas schools.

My schools below
Accepted: Loma Linda University, WesternU, USC, CaseWestern, Tufts, University of Maryland, UNLV, Nova
Waitlisted/Alternate: UCSF
Rejected: UoP, UCLA

I picked Loma Linda for a variety of reasons. I'll likely stick to general dentistry. Specializing is great if you're really passionate about it. However, there are a lot of externships and internships available now. Kind of at the mercy of a lot of general dentists who've done externships and internships in specialties.

Last edited:
thank you for the advice, I appreciate it

You actually have a good shot at UCSF. A fellow post-bac here at SFSU that applied the last cycle got in. She got in by means of the waitlist though. I'm still on the waitlist/alternative for that school.