Chance me: TX resident. 2013 cycle!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

torshi

Squirrel
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Texas resident
Non-URM

MCAT: TBD July 6th (What's a good MCAT score I would need in my case for Texas or even D.O?) ;)

Texas:
cGPA: 3.80
sGPA; 3.62
--------------------------------
AACOMAS;
cGPA: 3.79
sGPA: 3.66

Job; supervisor assistant - 2 years while in school

LORs:
-1 MD
-1 Supervisor (very strong)
-1 PhD
-1 science prof.
No committee letter- my school offers it though. Taking MCAT in July, they won't write me one

ECs:
-80 hrs ER volunteer
-50 hrs shelter volunteer
-100+ hrs shadowing hospitalist only
-TA for neuro course for (Summer/Fall 2012)
-Started neuro research (April - Present)
-Tutor

Schools applying too:
Allopathic Medical Schools- Texas Only
The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
University of Texas Medical Branch
The University of Texas Medical School at Houston
Texas Tech- Lubbock
Texas Tech- El Paso
Texas A&M
UT-Southwestern
Osteopathic Medical Schools
Nova Southeastern University
Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine
Des Moines University
KCUMB
Western U-COMP
NYCOM
ATSU-KCOM
MWU-AZCOM
MWU-CCOM
MSUCOM

Advice from the Catalystik?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
did you guys catch that though? 18 years old? they will look at him sideways, left, & right for that. Don't be surprised if you don't get any acceptances, that's what I would think it would be. Just keep doing things that strengthen your app. IMHO 21 is about the minimum age they are looking to start usually... MAYBE 20. 18 is kinda young..

did you guys catch that though? 18 years old? they will look at him sideways, left, & right for that. Don't be surprised if you don't get any acceptances, that's what I would think it would be. Just keep doing things that strengthen your app. IMHO 21 is about the minimum age they are looking to start usually... MAYBE 20. 18 is kinda young..
Yea that's exactly why I mentioned it, hopefully it won't act as a deterrent because i mean my ECs simply explain that i've been keeping busy and should be up to par as to "experience" the only difference between some other applicants being older is simply that they finished high-school on time when rather i chose to earlier. I'll def come back though after the cycle to hopefully update y'all

Your age definitely is a factor, but if you score well on the MCAT you shouldn't have a problem landing an acceptance letter, especially in-state.

Now I'm just curious as to how you're so young ;)

Your age definitely is a factor, but if you score well on the MCAT you shouldn't have a problem landing an acceptance letter, especially in-state.

Now I'm just curious as to how you're so young ;)

Alright cool hopefully it goes well..

Dual credit after soph year in HS - finished associates in a year instead of two, transferred and finishing bachelors in total of 3 years. I'll hopefully matriculate into med school at 19.

Just wondering, did you go to flour bluff hs?

Sent from my VM670 using SDN Mobile

Bump..

-What's a good MCAT score I would need in my case for Texas or even D.O?

30 gets you in somewhere for MD, 25 gets you in somewhere for DO.

Those are rough guidelines.

To offer another point of view:

I think you'll have trouble getting osteopathic schools to seriously consider you because of your age. My experience with a couple has been that they value maturity, life experience and fit above stats. From last years data, only 24 students (0.5%) 20 years old and younger got in. The youngest was 19. Regardless of reality, the general impression is that an 18 yr old is fairly immature. And practically speaking, for most, how much life experience can they have?

Do they still live at home? Have they ever had to support themselves? Have they had a serious adult relationship? These are things that can impact maturity and part of the reason why the "college years" are formative for young adults.

Your best bet may be to call the schools you are interested in and talk to them.

30 gets you in somewhere for MD, 25 gets you in somewhere for DO.

Those are rough guidelines.

Maybe the difference between a 31-32 and 30 is non-existant, but a 3.62/30 seems average for MD. Probably need to bump the MCAT score up to a 32 to be safe.

3.62/25 for DO is just average as well. 3.62/28 should do though.

Even higher if he's asian.

Harder to get in as Asian, cause you'd be shorter.