Chance me/where should I apply thread 2017: tyjacobs and feralis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
accepted into one school

should I call it quits and apply for next cycle?

Why would you apply next cycle if you’re already accepted somewhere? If your top choice is Michigan, what was the point in applying to any other school if you aren’t going to go anywhere else?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Because the school I got accepted into was not my 2nd or 3rd it was my last

I was the same way and I understand your disappointment. But dental school is what you make of it; its name is not going to make you happier or sadder. In the end, you will graduate from any U.S. accredited dental school as a dentist. Isn't that what we ultimately want anyway?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Why did you apply to the school if you wouldn’t go even if it’s the only one you get into? By wasting a year and applying next year, you get one less year as a dentist!

Reactions: 1 users
It’s that low DAT, slowish GPA combo. Retake the DAT and try to get 21+. Dental schools only becoming more competitive.
19AA is the 86th percentile, that is considered low? Also, the 11 years of healthcare experience means absolutely nothing? Should I have just stuck to putting pasta in a bag as a volunteer at a food pantry and been an english major with a high GPA and a few upper-level science courses? Basically what I am asking, is this effort a lost cause? I don't understand the hesitancy. I get the questions they may have about my so-so GPA, especially in the sciences. But, my experience with pharmacology, patient teaching, patient care, performing procedures that I know will be uncomfortable or painful with watchful family members looking over my shoulder and not having that faze me at all, that is not a bonus? Plus, I have taken the DAT 3 times and I have heard that is the max number of times. Also, I wish it was that easy to just 'get' a 21. To me, it isn't as simple as just plugging in a score I wish to have, it comes down to performance. Or is it? There are plenty of students, albeit ones with high GPA's, that get in with a 17. Please correct me if I am way off base.

19AA is the 86th percentile, that is considered low? Also, the 11 years of healthcare experience means absolutely nothing? Should I have just stuck to putting pasta in a bag as a volunteer at a food pantry and been an english major with a high GPA and a few upper-level science courses? Basically what I am asking, is this effort a lost cause? I don't understand the hesitancy. I get the questions they may have about my so-so GPA, especially in the sciences. But, my experience with pharmacology, patient teaching, patient care, performing procedures that I know will be uncomfortable or painful with watchful family members looking over my shoulder and not having that faze me at all, that is not a bonus? Plus, I have taken the DAT 3 times and I have heard that is the max number of times. Also, I wish it was that easy to just 'get' a 21. To me, it isn't as simple as just plugging in a score I wish to have, it comes down to performance. Or is it? There are plenty of students, albeit ones with high GPA's, that get in with a 17. Please correct me if I am way off base.
You worked really hard and it shows in your extracurriculars, but since you're applying in 2019, the most important thing is to raise the GPA and DAT, not the extra curriculars. Of course it's not easy to just 'plug in' a score we want, but for the next year and a half, the best thing to do is raise the stats. That may be why you are applying for the third time - because of the stats. Sure the experiences in healthcare are helpful but dental schools need to know you can handle their rigorous science curriculum.

This hasnt been that accurate. It seems more geared toward high profile schools. I had a 19 AA and a 3.5 cgpa with a 3.4sgpa and I was told that I was "borderline" even though my stats are completely average; meaning 50% matriculants were better and 50% were worse. I had plenty of friends with either worse GPAs or worse DAT scores. Just apply broadly and to private schools and do it early and you'll for sure get in somewhere.

-21 years old
-3.04 sGPA
-3.3 BCP
-3.39 OGPA
-22 DAT AA nothing below 17
-Strong upward trend 2.7 freshman year, 3.54 sophomore year, and probably a 3.65 junior year.
-Strong letters of rec, 2 from upper level sciences and 2 dentists
-150+ hours shadowing / volunteering over 2 years
- Lots of extracurricular (2 jobs, pre dental club leadership, biology club, neuroscience club, religion clubs.. etc...)
- applying to 15-20 schools
-Ohio resident

Your experience is admiral and is definitely not worthless. Even with low stats you could possibly land a few interviews. The concern is that you have so much experience why can't you increase your GPA or DAT score? 19AA is okay but coupled to a 3.33 BCP it suggests you can't handle a rigourous curriculum. Since you've taken the DAT 3 times and 19 AA is the highest you can get that's also concerning because eventually you will have to pass the new NBDEi. There are not "plenty" of students that get into dental school with a 17AA. The ones that do are usually at Meharry or Howard and are URM with high GPAs and wonderful extracurriculars. Your problem with getting in will be that initial screening. The majority of schools will filter there applicants at 20 AA +/- 1 with 3.5 GPA +/-.1 and that's how they find people to interview. Sure some schools you could still land an interview but it will probably be later in the cycle. There are plenty of people applying with better stats. And also those english majors that get 23 AA look even more impressive than a science major with a 20 AA because they have proven they can not only learn on their own but also outperform those who have been exposed to the same material more often. If I were you I would retake the DAT one more. Focus in on different resources to utilize. Study harder, whatever it takes. If you get a DAT score of 21 you would be in a way better position than you are now. Good luck.

You worked really hard and it shows in your extracurriculars, but since you're applying in 2019, the most important thing is to raise the GPA and DAT, not the extra curriculars. Of course it's not easy to just 'plug in' a score we want, but for the next year and a half, the best thing to do is raise the stats. That may be why you are applying for the third time - because of the stats. Sure the experiences in healthcare are helpful but dental schools need to know you can handle their rigorous science curriculum.
Thank you for articulating a reason, instead of just saying “you need good numbers bc they want you to have good numbers. I have 195 hours of credit so 3 credits worth of an A is not going to change my gpa very much, BUT, I can understand why they want good grades with a heavy course load. Thank you.

Candian international
Dat: AA:20 and TS: 20
3.0 uGPA
3.1 sGPA
3.63 Masters SMP gpa from Rutgers
Strong LORs from dentists, research directors, professors at SMP and undergrad
Research experience at Rutgers, worked as a social worker right after undergrad, over 300 hours of shadowing my local dentist.
Schools i'm interested in: All of private schools, ie NYU, NOVA, UDM, (not tufts because they dont accept international), Touro, Roseman, Western, BostonU, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Maryland
Do you plan on retaking the DAT? I'm asking because it will make a difference. Since you've already done an M.S., the GPA is pretty much set and can't be changed. Getting an above-average DAT will drastically increase your chances. What about community service? It doesn't have to be abroad or anything like that, can be as simple as volunteering at the dental office you've shadowed.

I was told by a few people on SDN and some previous dental students that i shouldn't retake the dat because 20 is about average for private schools. Do you think my stats will still be competitive? Or do you think i should retake it? I just dont want to get below than a 20. And with regards to community service i have worked at a food bank
20 alone is an average DAT score. However, if it’s coupled with 3.0 ~ 3.1 uGPA and <3.8 masters GPA, it doesn’t look too good.