Chance me/where should I apply thread 2017: tyjacobs and feralis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tyjacobs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! application cycle is beginning soon. @FeralisExtremum and I have been through the process. We are both experts at this stuff because we have collectively answered these questions many times on SDN. If you would like us to chance you/tell you where to apply, we am more than happy to help you! Just fill out the form below and we will give you my advice. We are in finals ssn so it may take some time to respond (we will respond in an adequate amount of time though)

*****READ -- YOU NEED TO HAVE TAKEN DAT OR ELSE WE CANNOT CHANCE YOU*******

to calculate GPA, use this link to tell you what classes fall under what category http://hpplc.indiana.edu/documents/AADSASCourseSubjects2015_071414.pdf

here is how you calculate GPA (download the PDF, its from aadsas):
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwidgLeb9N7TAhUCRCYKHbj4A00QFggiMAA&url=http://www.adea.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=24512&usg=AFQjCNF4aw1Jc4wH76maZCox3XlMyB-lYQ&cad=rja

age (if you are comfortable, yes this matters to some schools)
overall gpa
science gpa
bio-chem-physics gpa
undergrad attended (if you are comfortable sharing)
DAT score (include AA and all sections)
extracirriculars
shadowing hours (who did you shadow)
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who)
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application
professional goals
state of residence
misc info you think is important:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
age 21
overall gpa: 3.3
science gpa: 3.4
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.0
undergrad attended: Canadian University
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
DAT score:
PAT: 22
RC: 21
Bio and Chem: 21
extracirriculars: research summer volunteering, 100+ hours shadowing with spinal chord injury patients, 2 years president of a social issues club, oral health awareness club
shadowing hours: 120 hours
letters of rec: 2 prof letters ( 1 science, 1 non science) and one from the dentist I was shadowing
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: June 1st
professional goals: I would like to keep my options open
state of residence: Ontario, Canada
misc info you think is important: Upward trend in GPA

Members don't see this ad :)
overall gpa: 3.74
science gpa: 3.59
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.59
undergrad attended: UNT
DAT score (include AA and all sections: AA-21, TS-21, OC-21, Bio-21, GC-21, PAT-25, RC-21, QR-19
extracurriculars: 1.5 years of research (No publications, moreso volunteer), Current RDA, 60 Hours dental clinic that serves the underprivileged, 2 years leader of a student organization as an event planner, speaker, mentor, musician/musician leader, about 100ish hours volunteering at various hospitals.
shadowing hours (who did you shadow): 5 General dentists (250-300 hours combined)
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who?: 1 Committee letter-strong, 2 Dentists-Very very strong, 1 Bio professor that I did the research with-medium strong
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: May 21st TMDSAS/First week of June AADSAS
professional goals: Totally fine with general dentistry but interested in OMFS and Endo. Not interested in research
state of residence: TX
misc info you think is important: Was in community college while in high school so graduated with an associates degree which also means some prereqs like bio1/2, physics 2, and english/hist are from CC. Have held leadership roles in my church and in my city for many years, Avid musician-plays five instruments, was pre-med prior and applied to medical school in 2015 and then dental school in 2016, Have taken the MCAT three times before realizing I wanted to be in dentistry. Took the DAT once. No bad semesters in school. No criminal offenses/academic dishonesty.

This is a great thing you guys are doing. Ty, I know you already chanced me before, but what the heck, let's do it again. Maybe posting the rest of this info will give you a better idea.

Overall GPA: ~3.3
Science GPA: ~3.2
BCP GPA: ~3.25
Undegrad Attended: Rutgers University (New Brunswick)
DAT score:
PAT: 19
QR: 21
RC: 20
Bio: 23
Gen Chem: 26
Orgo: 23
TS: 24
AA: 23

ECs: ~50 hrs volunteering with NJPRIG, an organization that campaigns for various causes (solar energy, voting, etc..) Will have ~100 hours of soup kitchen volunteering by June 1st. I like to sketch portraits of people (I'm pretty good imo) and I've worked in the woodshop at my school this past year. Made a nice design with wood.
Shadowing Hours: ~110. Shadowed 3 general dentists. First 2 I shadowed last summer over in Philly for about 40 hours each, 3rd one was local and recent.
Letters of Rec: I will have 4 by June 1st. One from a non science (freshman writing class, got an A, cool guy, hes a grad student that taught the class by himself and seems very enthusiastic so he'd prob write a good letter). Second from an Endo class (got an A, she's pretty chill, a phD, I've taken two classes with her, both were As). Third from another science (getting that one in a week or two, will be from immunology or developmental bio or both, both are phDs, not sure how strong either will be. I'm guessing moderately strong). 4th one is from the first dentist I shadowed last summer, I think it was good. Note: I waived my right to see all of these letters.

Planned AADSAS submission date: June 1st, if all my LORs are in by then, which they most likely will because I already talked to my professors and they know.

Professional goals: I currently don't have any specialty in mind, although I'd like to keep the option open. I'd be content with just general dentistry though. However, I want to do a lot of pro bono work in the future because I really like the idea of sharing the wealth with people (I know it sounds cliche) and I think I'd be very happy doing that.

State of Residence: NJ
Misc: Egyptian male. Grew up in the States though. But have lived in Egypt for a few years. Speak fluent Arabic.

Thanks again for doing this guys, you're saving us all a lot of headache.

Edit: Mild upward trend in GPA over the past year, not very strong though.

apply to rutgers + a bunch of private schools (nyu, tufts, touro, etc.). Your science GPA is a low so thats why you want to apply to a bunch of private schools. You can throw in some out of state schools if you want (i.e. uconn), but your GPA is low so idk how competitive you will be for them

age 21
overall gpa: 3.3
science gpa: 3.4
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.0
undergrad attended: Canadian University
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
DAT score:
PAT: 22
RC: 21
Bio and Chem: 21
extracirriculars: research summer volunteering, 100+ hours shadowing with spinal chord injury patients, 2 years president of a social issues club, oral health awareness club
shadowing hours: 120 hours
letters of rec: 2 prof letters ( 1 science, 1 non science) and one from the dentist I was shadowing
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: June 1st
professional goals: I would like to keep my options open
state of residence: Ontario, Canada
misc info you think is important: Upward trend in GPA

not sure if applying this cycle is the smartest idea.
your BCP gpa is low (this is the most important GPA) and your DAT scores aren't high enough to make up for that GPA. You might want to either retake DAT to get higher scores to make your your low science gpa or take more classes to improve GPA before you apply.

overall gpa: 3.74
science gpa: 3.59
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.59
undergrad attended: UNT
DAT score (include AA and all sections: AA-21, TS-21, OC-21, Bio-21, GC-21, PAT-25, RC-21, QR-19
extracurriculars: 1.5 years of research (No publications, moreso volunteer), Current RDA, 60 Hours dental clinic that serves the underprivileged, 2 years leader of a student organization as an event planner, speaker, mentor, musician/musician leader, about 100ish hours volunteering at various hospitals.
shadowing hours (who did you shadow): 5 General dentists (250-300 hours combined)
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who?: 1 Committee letter-strong, 2 Dentists-Very very strong, 1 Bio professor that I did the research with-medium strong
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: May 21st TMDSAS/First week of June AADSAS
professional goals: Totally fine with general dentistry but interested in OMFS and Endo. Not interested in research
state of residence: TX
misc info you think is important: Have held leadership roles in my church and in my city for many years, Avid musician-plays five instruments, was pre-med prior and applied to medical school in 2015 and then dental school in 2016, Have taken the MCAT three times before realizing I wanted to be in dentistry. Took the DAT once. No bad semesters in school. No criminal offenses/academic dishonesty.

you will be a competitive applicant

apply to all texas schools (they prob your #1 because of cost)
apply to penn too because you are somewhat interested in specialties
you can throw in some private schools/out of state state schools just to be safe

Last edited:
you will be a competitive applicant

apply to all texas schools (they prob your #1 because of cost)
apply to ivies too because you are somewhat interested in specialties
you can throw in some private schools/out of state state schools just to be safe

Just a quick follow up question. My obvious first choice is a TX school but would it be worth it to go ivy even if I got in? Is the likelihood of specialization dramatically different? Is the price worth it over a TX school? It would be amazing to say I go to an Ivy league school but not sure if its worth the price tag. Thank you for your time.

Just a quick follow up question. My obvious first choice is a TX school but would it be worth it to go ivy even if I got in? Is the likelihood of specialization dramatically different? Is the price worth it over a TX school? Thank you for your time.

thats a choice for you to make
ask yourself:
1) do i 100% want to specialize
2) do i want to have an easier time getting into specialty but spend lot more money on education or have harder time getting into specialty but spend lot less money on education

Reactions: 1 user
thats a choice for you to make
ask yourself:
1) do i 100% want to specialize
2) do i want to have an easier time getting into specialty but spend lot more money on education or have harder time getting into specialty but spend lot less money on education

You've given me a lot to think about for a Sunday night haha. Thanks again, good luck on finals.

Hey, thanks. I'd appreciate it to know which schools to shoot for, especially those that are canadian friendly. I want to apply to the ivies and any others that I can get into. Thanks :)
overall gpa: 3.906.
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.97. science gpa: should be near bcp gpa.
undergrad attended: I went to an Ontario school in Canada.
DAT score (wrote the Canadian DAT): 25 Bio, 23 Chem, 24 TS, 21 RC, 23 AA, 24 PAT.
extracirriculars:

(I know it’s not an EC but there was no work categories here) Worked as a lifeguard for 4 years (2 of them being while I was a university student and I don’t remember the number of hours). I also worked at the 150th annual spring meeting for the Ontario dental association where I assisted the association staff in making the seminars and workshops run smoothly (20 hrs).

2 years of research (1 of the years was an honors thesis) where I’ll be submitting my manuscript for publishing before June 1st as well as attending a conference next month to present my work (400+ hours, don’t know exactly).

Executive of two student-ran clubs (2 years for each), one of them being a vice-presidency role for 1 year.

4 years of free tutoring (~400 hrs), also lead bi-weekly meetings for the tutoring organization for one semester (~12 hours).

Assisted in teaching lifeguarding and CPR courses (non-paid) for 3 years (2 of the years was in university) (don’t remember the number of hours, but a LOT).

Assisted a master student in data gathering to determine what type of structures (i.e windows/buildings and their locations) are the leading causes for collisions and subsequently bird mortality during the winter bird migration (1 semester for a total of ~20 hours? I don’t remember this either).

Assisted in the first collaboration between my university and grade 11 highschool students, where we showed them what the STEM had to offer as well as giving them practical activities to compete with one another in (~8 hours, one day event).

Partook in two one-day events where me and my lab showed the lay public how to deal with mosquitoes and ticks which are known to transmit diseases (a total of 14 hours).

Since I am an alumni for my university, I became a mentor to guide and answer any questions/doubts alumni to-be have in terms of the application process for work, graduate and/or professional schools.

partook in a two day dental outreach for the undeserved where I be helped out with food distribution and working as a volunteer coordinator.
shadowing hours: total 180 hours: 80 hours ortho and 100 hrs general
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who): Currently 3: 1) My professor who I have been researching with for ~2 years and who has also taught me in a course (VERY strong). 2) my first year chemistry professor (she remembers me and we have small talk here and there, so moderately strong?) 3) reference from both the ortho and GP (should I only ask from one of them? If so then which one should I ask from. I feel a reference from a GP is more influential).

I may potentially ask my orgo prof for a fourth, since he openly congratulated me in being one of the top scorers in the class. I figured this can vouch for my efforts and dedication in hard courses? What do you think..
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: I am to submit in June first, if not then early June (before the 15th).
professional goals: Currently I love GP since from my shadowing experiences, it gives the doctor a taste of the different specialties and I get more diversity in the cases/patients I can help. Also I'm a researcher at heart so I want to do research as well. BUT, this is pre-dent me talking. So I may 100% change my mind later.
state of residence: Ontario
Additional Info: Was a B student in first year then got nothing less than an A after that. Also I graduated last year and was doing semi full time research, shadowing and taking my DAT during the year that I was off. How will this look in the eyes of the ADCOM? Also I will be taking microbio and english this year during interviews for the pre-reqs that schools need.

Last edited by a moderator:
23 years old

3.2 oGPA( 3.6 GPA in last 60 credits of undergrad)
3.4sGPA
3.4 BCP GPA
4.0Masters GPA through 22 credits

21AA/20TS/22Bio/17GC/22OC/19PAT/26RC/17QR

Attended FAU

Shadowing: 250+ hours between 2 generals, plus multiple specialties (Perio,OMFS,Endo)
Volunteering: 100 hours (roughly) assisting the band and drumline program at my high school

Research: 6 months of Prostate cancer/ovarian cancer research with no publications.

Work experience: I've worked as a waiter at Olive Garden for the past 4 years, and trained new employees at multiple positions.

Applying June 1st

3 strong letters of recommendation. 2 from science professors, one of them I did cancer research with. The other is from a dentist that allowed me to write my own letter.

Florida resident

I have an extremely strong upward trend, with a 4.0 in my last 3 semesters of undergrad leading into 22 credits of 4.0 in a biomedical sciences MS program.

I have taken virtually all of the recommended classes (Histology, Molecular and Cell biology, Immunology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Pathophysiology, human anatomy and physiology 1&2 etc. with A's in all of them)

Hey, thanks. I'd appreciate it to know which schools to shoot for, especially those that are canadian friendly. I want to apply to the ivies and any others that I can get into. Thanks :)
overall gpa: 3.906.
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.97. science gpa: should be near bcp gpa.
undergrad attended: I went to an Ontario school in Canada.
DAT score (wrote the Canadian DAT): 25 Bio, 23 Chem, 24 TS, 21 RC, 23 AA, 24 PAT.
extracirriculars:

(I know it’s not an EC but there was no work categories here) Worked as a lifeguard for 4 years (2 of them being while I was a university student and I don’t remember the number of hours). I also worked at the 150th annual spring meeting for the Ontario dental association where I assisted the association staff in making the seminars and workshops run smoothly (20 hrs).

2 years of research (1 of the years was an honors thesis) where I’ll be submitting my manuscript for publishing before June 1st as well as attending a conference next month to present my work (400+ hours, don’t know exactly).

Executive of two student-ran clubs (2 years for each), one of them being a vice-presidency role for 1 year.

4 years of free tutoring (~400 hrs), also lead bi-weekly meetings for the tutoring organization for one semester (~12 hours).

Assisted in teaching lifeguarding and CPR courses (non-paid) for 3 years (2 of the years was in university) (don’t remember the number of hours, but a LOT).

Assisted a master student in data gathering to determine what type of structures (i.e windows/buildings and their locations) are the leading causes for collisions and subsequently bird mortality during the winter bird migration (1 semester for a total of ~20 hours? I don’t remember this either).

Assisted in the first collaboration between my university and grade 11 highschool students, where we showed them what the STEM had to offer as well as giving them practical activities to compete with one another in (~8 hours, one day event).

Partook in two one-day events where me and my lab showed the lay public how to deal with mosquitoes and ticks which are known to transmit diseases (a total of 14 hours).

Since I am an alumni for my university, I became a mentor to guide and answer any questions/doubts alumni to-be have in terms of the application process for work, graduate and/or professional schools.

partook in a two day dental outreach for the undeserved where I be helped out with food distribution and working as a volunteer coordinator.
shadowing hours: total 180 hours: 80 hours ortho and 100 hrs general
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who): Currently 3: 1) My professor who I have been researching with for ~2 years and who has also taught me in a course (VERY strong). 2) my first year chemistry professor (she remembers me and we have small talk here and there, so moderately strong?) 3) reference from both the ortho and GP (should I only ask from one of them? If so then which one should I ask from. I feel a reference from a GP is more influential).

I may potentially ask my orgo prof for a fourth, since he openly congratulated me in being one of the top scorers in the class. I figured this can vouch for my efforts and dedication in hard courses? What do you think..
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: I am to submit in June first, if not then early June (before the 15th).
professional goals: Currently I love GP since from my shadowing experiences, it gives the doctor a taste of the different specialties and I get more diversity in the cases/patients I can help. Also I'm a researcher at heart so I want to do research as well. BUT, this is pre-dent me talking. So I may 100% change my mind later.
state of residence: Ontario
Additional Info: Was a B student in first year then got nothing less than an A after that. Also I graduated last year and was doing semi full time research, shadowing and taking my DAT during the year that I was off. How will this look in the eyes of the ADCOM? Also I will be taking microbio and english this year during interviews for the pre-reqs that schools need.

gap year was fine
you are a very strong applicant, despite being canadian. would apply to something like 10-12 schools. not sure what schools are canadian friendly or not (not that knowledgeable in this area). def apply to all the ivies though

Members don't see this ad :)
23 years old

3.2 oGPA( 3.6 GPA in last 60 credits of undergrad)
3.4sGPA
3.4 BCP GPA
4.0Masters GPA through 22 credits

21AA/20TS/22Bio/17GC/22OC/19PAT/26RC/17QR

Attended FAU

Shadowing: 250+ hours between 2 generals, plus multiple specialties (Perio,OMFS,Endo)
Volunteering: 100 hours (roughly) assisting the band and drumline program at my high school

Research: 6 months of Prostate cancer/ovarian cancer research with no publications.

Work experience: I've worked as a waiter at Olive Garden for the past 4 years, and trained new employees at multiple positions.

Applying June 1st

3 strong letters of recommendation. 2 from science professors, one of them I did cancer research with. The other is from a dentist that allowed me to write my own letter.

Florida resident

I have an extremely strong upward trend, with a 4.0 in my last 3 semesters of undergrad leading into 22 credits of 4.0 in a biomedical sciences MS program.

I have taken virtually all of the recommended classes (Histology, Molecular and Cell biology, Immunology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Pathophysiology, human anatomy and physiology 1&2 etc. with A's in all of them)

i like how you took the masters. GPA + DAT looks good right now.

would apply to something on the line of ~12 schools (def apply to UF) mix in a decent amount of private schools to play it safe

Hey guys, I PMed both of you!!

Last edited:
overall gpa: 3.81
science gpa: 3.68
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.71
undergrad attended: University of Georgia
DAT score: 20 AA/ 19 TS/ 19 PAT/ 23 RC/ 19 Ochem/ 20 Bio/ 19 GC/ 21 QR
extracurriculars: Multiple clubs on campus (pre-dent, political awareness, others), including one that involved a leadership role within a charity
shadowing hours: ~175 combined hours between local dentist and family member that owns a practice
letters of rec: 4 - microbio. professor, genetics professor, boss from work, local dentist. All should range from average to strong in terms of the strength of the letter
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: Sometime between June 1st and June 3rd
professional goals: I don't have any plans to specialize at the time, but I'm definitely keeping my options open. I've loved what I've seen in general dentistry, but orthodontics has seemed a bit interesting as well. Ideally, I'd love to be someone's partner for a few years before owning my own practice
state of residence: Georgia
misc info you think is important: I was a coach for a youth baseball team for the past 4 summers and also gave lessons on the side. I have become very involved in the above-mentioned charity on campus. I have pretty much any pre-requisite (microbiology, A&P, genetics, etc.) a school might require except for zoology and OChem II. Lacking OChem II will knock out a bunch of possible schools, but I did take biochemistry, so I met the requirements for several schools still. If I need to, I could take OChem II in the upcoming spring semester, but would obviously prefer not to.

Age- 20

Overall GPA- 3.77

Science GPA-3.63

BCP- 3.58

Undergrad- Grand Canyon University (Go Lopes!)

DAT- 20 AA/ 20 TS/ 20 PAT/ 21 RC/ 26 Ochem/ 18 Bio/ 20 GC/ 16 QR :(

Extracurricular- I worked all 3 years of undergraduate about 20 hours a week as an enrolment counsellor and as a tour guide. I also founded my schools African a Student Association and was the president. I volunteered at a local church tutoring kids for about 500 hours (over the course of the 3 years). I have one semester of cadaver dissection (I did a little bit of head and neck but also worked on other parts of the body). I was a committee member for our HOSA club fundraising team.

Shadowing- 100 hours shadowing 1 dentist for about 90 hours and other 2 for 5 hours each.

LOR- 3 letters. One from a bio professor (who was previously an MD). One from a chem Professor (also made several drugs/ was a medicinal chemist...also Ochem professor so have a loves me from class lol) going to be strong. One from dentist. His staff loves me but I don't know how strong it'll be. I think it'll be medium.

APP- I plan on submitting by end of June latest and then adding on some more schools to my app in July (due to having to pay bills and not wanting to starve to death since this causes an arm and a leg).

Professional goals- short term would love to be a GP. Although I don't really think I would know if I want to specialise until I try stuff out in Dental school. Anyways, eventually I do know that I would want to go back and forth between Nigeria (my home country with horrible healthcare system) and America practicing in both places.

State of residence- AZ

Misc information- took about 20 credits at community college but none are prereqs. Lived in Nigeria when I was younger (and born there) but I'm also a US citizen. Graduated in 3 years (so I just turned 20 last month and kind of on the younger side...). Taking a gap year this year...don't really think that makes a difference. Part of my schools Honors college.

Thanks for doing this!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

you should be competitive for this cycle.

apply 10-12 schools --> include some private schools on the list to be safe

extracurriculars: Multiple clubs on campus (pre-dent, political awareness, others), including one that involved a leadership role within a charity
shadowing hours: ~175 combined hours between local dentist and family member that owns a practice
letters of rec: 4 - microbio. professor, genetics professor, boss from work, local dentist. All should range from average to strong in terms of the strength of the letter
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: Sometime between June 1st and June 3rd
professional goals: I don't have any plans to specialize at the time, but I'm definitely keeping my options open. I've loved what I've seen in general dentistry, but orthodontics has seemed a bit interesting as well. Ideally, I'd love to be someone's partner for a few years before owning my own practice
misc info you think is important: I was a coach for a youth baseball team for the past 4 summers and also gave lessons on the side. I have become very involved in the above-mentioned charity on campus. I have pretty much any pre-requisite (microbiology, A&P, genetics, etc.) a school might require except for zoology and OChem II. Lacking OChem II will knock out a bunch of possible schools, but I did take biochemistry, so I met the requirements for several schools still. If I need to, I could take OChem II in the upcoming spring semester, but would obviously prefer not to.

just like the previous post,

you should be competitive for this cycle. nice GPA

apply 10-12 schools --> include some private schools on the list to be safe. apply to Upenn you'd be competitive there IMO

I couldn't wait for this semesters grade to come out (they come out next week, i dont think my gpa will go down (Hopefully not))

overall gpa: 3.803
science gpa: 3.74
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.7
undergrad attended (if you are comfortable sharing): University of Massachusetts, Biology
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 23 AA, 21 TS, 19 BIO, 22 GC, 26 OC, 24 PAT, 25 RC, 23 QR
extracurriculars: - Organic Chemistry Supplemental Instructor
- Biochemistry TA
- volunteer at soup kitchen (i love cooking)
- 3 yr employee at chipotle mexican grill (guac is extra, sorry)
- predent society
- volunteer on dental mission trip
- world librarian (this cool project where we find creative commons material and send it to schools in africa that do not have internet)
- Ski and board club
- Biology research trip in belize (with field study and research paper)

shadowing hours (who did you shadow): 152 hours with a family practice (observed hubby who was prostho while wife is a general dentist)
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who): orgo professor (I SI for his orgo class + known for 2 years), Bio prof (took two classes with her, know her very well), Chem prof (Took both gen chems with him, know him very well), Boss from chipotle (worked together for 3+ years), and dentist

when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: June asap
professional goals: not sure, id be happy with general dentistry though. need to actually get in somewhere before i think about this more.
state of residence: taxachusetts
misc info you think is important: - Korean-american
- started college with 3.38 gpa Nothing lower than A- since freshman year
- graduating fall 2017 instead of spring 2018, withdrawing from honors program (is this an issue?)
- Top choices: BU, tufts, harvard, UCOnn, michigan, columbia, PEnn, USC, Case, VCU
- devout christian
- thinking about spending spring semester as missionary in costa rica or doing research

Last edited:
I did a chance me thread and this may be a repeat but Columbia is right at the top of my list and its nice to hear from someone at Columbia.

overall gpa: 3.90
science gpa: 3.88
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.86
undergrad attended: Western U (In Canada)
DAT score: AA is 21 but everything else is within 1 point of 21 (Canadian DAT though)
extracirriculars: Volunteer in medical office for 8 years, english conversation leader for ESL students, I like running and completed a half marathon (not sure if they care about this though),
shadowing hours: 4 general dentists at 30 hrs each
letters of rec: Nothing too strong. A doctor from where I volunteered. A prof from China where I volunteered for a summer. A prof from Canada where I did my honors thesis project.
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: June 1st. At latest, maybe 12th.
professional goals: General dentist
state of residence: International student
misc info you think is important: Took 2 years off in the middle of university due to illness and have tons of withdraws. Doing my grad school right now with 4.0 gpa

Do I have a shot at Ivy schools?

Last edited:
not sure if applying this cycle is the smartest idea.
your BCP gpa is low (this is the most important GPA) and your DAT scores aren't high enough to make up for that GPA. You might want to either retake DAT to get higher scores to make your your low science gpa or take more classes to improve GPA before you apply.
Gonna pile on to this if I may. You need a higher GPA than average students entering because you are Canadian. Especially state schools. Maybe like 3 universities aside (NYU...), going as OOS and then international on top of that is a disadvantage. So if you see the mean GPA as a 3.6, then you need a 3.7 to really be on equal footing.

Reactions: 1 users
Overall GPA: 3.85
Science GPA: 4.22 (or 3.92 if you can't go above 4.0 on the app)
bio-chem-physics GPA: 4.30 (the AADSAS document you posted has 4.33 listed, but the school I'm at currently counts an A+ as a 4.30). If you can't go above 4.0, then it's 4.0.
undergrad attended: UNC Chapel Hill (Journalism major '13)
DAT score: 22 AA/ 22 TS/ 21 PAT/ 21 RC/ 23 Ochem/ 20 Bio/ 23 GC/ 23 QR
EC: Regularly volunteer at dental events across the state, teach English to refugees at a local literacy center, work with a refugee support organization for a few hours every week to help Syrian family acclimate to life in the US
Shadowing hours: 4 general dentists: 90 hrs total / pediatric dentist: 6 hrs / oral surgeon / 6 hrs -hygienist at a volunteering event: 6 hrs
Letters of Rec: 1 from general dentist, 1 from Orgo professor, 1 from Bio professor, 1 from professor of my original major (needed for UNC application), likely 1 professional recommendation letter from a VP of a PR firm I worked at. All should be fairly strong - especially the dentist and professional one.
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: ASAP in June
professional goals: I'd like to be a general dentist and incorporate work specifically geared toward educating refugees on oral health basics and pro bono treatment into my future practice
state of residence: North Carolina
Misc: I used my undergrad in journalism to work in public relations for three years (in both NYC and NC). I had not taken any of the pre-reqs in undergrad, so I left my PR career behind about a year and a half ago to take the pre-reqs. I'm currently finishing them up at NC State and have gotten an A+ (above a 98) in every class.

Thanks so much! I'd especially like to hear your thoughts on where to apply outside of NC - for example, my wife really wants me to apply to NYU because she loved it when we lived there after undergrad, but I don't know if I have a legitimate shot there, etc.

Last edited:
Just letting everyone know I'll be weighing in on these starting tomorrow/Wednesday, sorry for the delay. Feel free to continue posting and PMing in the meantime, I will get back to all of you.

Last edited:

1. Go Dawgs

2. Take O-Chem 2, I know it sucks at UGA but I would knock it out at GGC if you can swing it. Too many schools require it for you to skip out on it imho.

1. Go Dawgs

2. Take O-Chem 2, I know it sucks at UGA but I would knock it out at GGC if you can swing it. Too many schools require it for you to skip out on it imho.

Piggybacking on this, you could always take o-chem after your acceptances. The pre-reqs require you to have them done before you matriculate (as long as its 1 or 2 courses). So apply even if you are short o-chem.

P.S. Wenger isnt doing too bad this season :)

You guys are the best! Thank you for doing this!

Overall gpa: 3.94
Science gpa: 3.9
Bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.9
Undergrad attended: One of the Little Three
DAT score
: 23AA, 25TS, 21PAT, 23BIO, 24GC, 30OC, 20RC, 18QR
Extracurricular:
Non-medical: 2000+ hours teaching music/art at daycare and orphanages. 300 hours teaching English to adults.
Medical: Mostly premed stuff (~300 hours at clinics and 100 in hospital). --> Worries me since I don’t have any dental volunteering.
School: Fencing, Kendo, Chinese ensemble, Korean drumming, Taiko, and Jazz ensemble. OChem, GChem, and Physics tutor.
Shadowing hours: ~100 from GP (Will be getting more before applying)
Letters of rec: 3 from science prof (A+ Orgo, A+ Biochem, and A+ Physic professors), 1 from English (A-, but she’s nice), 2 from my community. (A minus is that I might not be able to have a Dentist letter)
When you plan on submitting AADSAS application: Early June or July if possible. I am unsure if I should wait for my Panel Letter (earliest release date is August 14)
Professional goals: OMFS! But I will be fine with GP, ortho, or endo as well! As long as I can specialize.
State of residence: Illinois
Misc info you think is important: First generation, was from a village outside the US. Goal is to serve in underserved area and places around the world that lacks access to healthcare. Very strong leadership role ever since high school (received a prestigious award). Does being a pianist, composer, sculpture, and artist help? However, I do lack research experience (as in 0). Another minus is I have not taken anatomy and physiology…(My school only offered Brain anatomy --> which I took).
Schools: I hope to get into UConn or any of the Ivies, especially Columbia (reason why I wanted to ask you guys specifically). Is it safe for me to apply to mostly top tier schools and only have a few low to mid tier ones? Let me know if there are great schools out there that I do not know of. I am only starting to research schools at the moment so I don't know much about any schools except the ones I mentioned earlier.

Again, thank you guys!

• GPA:
    • BCP: 3.27
    • Science: 3.32
    • Overall GPA: 3.43
    • Overall graduate GPA: 3.96 (4 more credit hours left; not calculated w/ overall GPA)
  • School attended:
    • University of Georgia
    • 2 years at community college
  • DAT: (please advise if it is necessary to retake my DAT)
    • Biology: 21
    • General Chemistry: 17
    • Organic Chemistry: 18
    • PAT: 23
    • Reading Comprehension: 21
    • QR: 17
    • TS: 18
    • AA: 19
  • Extracurricular activities:
    • Volunteering as dental assistant at two free dental clinics (~75 hours total)
    • Volunteer Coordinator position at pre-dental club for two years (~250 hours)
    • Teaching Assistant for 1 year
    • Research for 1 year; no publications
    • General Volunteering ~300 hours
    • Shadowing: ~610 hours General Dentist and ~40 hours Oral Surgeon
  • Letters of Rec- 4 strong letters:
    • 1 I wrote myself on the behalf of a science professor
    • 1 from a general dentist I shadowed for ~4 years
    • 1 from a science professor I knew well
    • 1 from our pre-dental advisor (he is a science professor, but I have not taken classes with him) who I also work for as a TA
  • I plan on submitting my app June 5th (that is when I’ve asked for the letters to be submitted by)
  • Professional goals:
    • I’m leaning towards general dentistry, but am also interested in specializing/doing research.
  • State of residence:
    • Georgia
  • Misc. information:
    • I played flute for 8 years, am very good with makeup (included for dexterity purposes), and have a very unique personal story related to dentistry (I had all my teeth crowned/root canal treated by the time I was 19; experienced both good and bad dentistry).
  • QUESTIONS:
    • Can I get by with the DAT scores I have?
    • My dad has been a resident in Virginia for almost a decade. Can I apply as instate for VCU School of Dentistry?
    • This will be my second time applying, but I did not apply seriously last cycle (meaning I applied late, had a weak application, knew I wasn't going to get in) because I wanted to see how the application works in order to apply ASAP this year without problems. I also only applied to 6 schools. Can I say that I am a first time applicant on my 2017 application since I will be applying to 10+ NEW schools (I will only reapply to 3/6 schools from last cycle). It's a weird question, but I don't want the new schools to think they are my second choice.
Thank you so much for your help!!

Last edited:
Really appreciate your insights! Thank you for taking the time.

Overall GPA: 3.75
Science GPA: 3.69
BCP GPA: 3.6
Undergrad: U Iowa
DAT: 19 AA, 19 TS, 18 PA, 19 QR, 22 RC, 18 BIO, 19 GC, 18 OC
Extracuriculars: About 150 service hours (non-dental). Worked at the Dental School as a sterilization tech, other random jobs. Philanthropy Chair at campus service fraternity.
Shadowing hours: 75 at multiple general dentists, one orthodontist
Letters of Rec: 2 science professors, 1 general dentist, 1 Spanish professor. Put in the time to get to know them so I hope they are strong.
Planning to submit AADSAS: Jun 15
Professional Goals: general dentist
State of Residence: Illinois
Misc Info: Are my chances good with the 19? Based on the past year's avg of 20.3, I decided to retake the DAT in early July hoping for a better score after a more systematic study regimen. Graduating in Dec 2017 instead of Spring 2018.
Hoping for SIU, UIC to get in-state tuition. SO attends BU Law so would be happy to attend BU, Tufts, New England etc to be closer to each other. Would like suggestions on where else to apply. Thank you!

I couldn't wait for this semesters grade to come out (they come out next week, i dont think my gpa will go down (Hopefully not))

overall gpa: 3.803
science gpa: 3.74
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.7
undergrad attended (if you are comfortable sharing): University of Massachusetts, Biology
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 23 AA, 21 TS, 19 BIO, 22 GC, 26 OC, 24 PAT, 25 RC, 23 QR
extracurriculars: - Organic Chemistry Supplemental Instructor
- Biochemistry TA
- volunteer at soup kitchen (i love cooking)
- 3 yr employee at chipotle mexican grill (guac is extra, sorry)
- predent society
- volunteer on dental mission trip
- world librarian (this cool project where we find creative commons material and send it to schools in africa that do not have internet)
- Ski and board club
- Biology research trip in belize (with field study and research paper)

shadowing hours (who did you shadow): 152 hours with a family practice (observed hubby who was prostho while wife is a general dentist)
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who): orgo professor (I SI for his orgo class + known for 2 years), Bio prof (took two classes with her, know her very well), Chem prof (Took both gen chems with him, know him very well), Boss from chipotle (worked together for 3+ years), and dentist

when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: June asap
professional goals: not sure, id be happy with general dentistry though. need to actually get in somewhere before i think about this more.
state of residence: taxachusetts
misc info you think is important: - Korean-american
- started college with 3.38 gpa Nothing lower than A- since freshman year
- graduating fall 2017 instead of spring 2018, withdrawing from honors program (is this an issue?)
- Top choices: BU, tufts, harvard, UCOnn, michigan, columbia, PEnn, USC, Case, VCU
- devout christian
- thinking about spending spring semester as missionary in costa rica or doing research

Very good stats. Should have strong shot for interviews at top schools. Gl

I did a chance me thread and this may be a repeat but Columbia is right at the top of my list and its nice to hear from someone at Columbia.

overall gpa: 3.90
science gpa: 3.88
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.86
undergrad attended: Western U (In Canada)
DAT score: AA is 21 but everything else is within 1 point of 21 (Canadian DAT though)
extracirriculars: Volunteer in medical office for 8 years, english conversation leader for ESL students, I like running and completed a half marathon (not sure if they care about this though),
shadowing hours: 4 general dentists at 30 hrs each
letters of rec: Nothing too strong. A doctor from where I volunteered. A prof from China where I volunteered for a summer. A prof from Canada where I did my honors thesis project.
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: June 1st. At latest, maybe 12th.
professional goals: General dentist
state of residence: International student
misc info you think is important: Took 2 years off in the middle of university due to illness and have tons of withdraws. Doing my grad school right now with 4.0 gpa

Do I have a shot at Ivy schools?

So with age -- some schools are skeptical about older applicants (you fit this bill) because they are far removed from schpol and other reasons. Doesnt mean they dont accept them.

Your dat score is low for columbia (aa avg is 23). Dat is very important for columbia. Also you are canadian which puts you at a disadvantage as well.

I think you have strong shot at penn.

Def apply to like 12-14 schools mix in good amount of private schools to keep you covered

Overall GPA: 3.35
Science GPA: 3.2
bio-chem-physics GPA: 3.2
Medical oriented SMP GPA: 3.5
DAT score: 23 AA every subscore +/- 1 point.
EC: 300 hospital-based volunteer hours, 2 years clinical cardiology research, teach literacy skills to disadvantaged adults
Shadowing hours: 3 general dentists: 150 hrs total and 1 oral surgeon: 24 hrs
Letters of Rec: 2 from general dentist, 1 from Master's mentor/prof, 1 professional recommendation from current employment. Dentistry letters are strong, professional letter is strong, Master's mentor is adeqate
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: Early July (waiting on letters)
Professional goals: General Dentistry (possibly OMFS but not sure if I should mention)
State of residence: Ohio
Misc: First-generation college, 33 MCAT-->turned down medical acceptance 2 years ago after realizing it wasn't for me. Worked 25 hours/wk in undergrad and full-time since

Really just trying to get a feel for chances at any acceptance. Ohio State is my top choice for obvious reasons (tuition $$$). Dream school is probably Pitt.

Apply to 14-16 schools. Include ohio state and pitt and lots if private schools. You are competitive for private schools and your instate. Not for OOS

• GPA:
    • BCP: 3.27
    • Science: 3.32
    • Overall GPA: 3.43
    • Overall graduate GPA: 3.96 (4 more credit hours left; not calculated w/ overall GPA)
  • School attended:
    • University of Georgia
    • 2 years at community college
  • DAT: (please advise if it is necessary to retake my DAT)
    • Biology: 21
    • General Chemistry: 17
    • Organic Chemistry: 18
    • PAT: 23
    • Reading Comprehension: 21
    • QR: 17
    • TS: 18
    • AA: 19
  • Extracurricular activities:
    • Volunteering as dental assistant at two free dental clinics (~75 hours total)
    • Volunteer Coordinator position at pre-dental club for two years (~250 hours)
    • Teaching Assistant for 1 year
    • Research for 1 year; no publications
    • General Volunteering ~300 hours
    • Shadowing: ~610 hours General Dentist and ~40 hours Oral Surgeon
  • Letters of Rec- 4 strong letters:
    • 1 I wrote myself on the behalf of a science professor
    • 1 from a general dentist I shadowed for ~4 years
    • 1 from a science professor I knew well
    • 1 from our pre-dental advisor (he is a science professor, but I have not taken classes with him) who I also work for as a TA
  • I plan on submitting my app June 5th (that is when I’ve asked for the letters to be submitted by)
  • Professional goals:
    • I’m leaning towards general dentistry, but am also interested in specializing/doing research.
  • State of residence:
    • Georgia
  • Misc. information:
    • I played flute for 8 years, am very good with makeup (included for dexterity purposes), and have a very unique personal story related to dentistry (I had all my teeth crowned/root canal treated by the time I was 19; experienced both good and bad dentistry).
  • QUESTIONS:
    • Can I get by with the DAT scores I have?
    • My dad has been a resident in Virginia for almost a decade. Can I apply as instate for VCU School of Dentistry?
    • This will be my second time applying, but I did not apply seriously last cycle (meaning I applied late, had a weak application, knew I wasn't going to get in) because I wanted to see how the application works in order to apply ASAP this year without problems. I also only applied to 6 schools. Can I say that I am a first time applicant on my 2017 application since I will be applying to 10+ NEW schools (I will only reapply to 3/6 schools from last cycle). It's a weird question, but I don't want the new schools to think they are my second choice.
Thank you so much for your help!!

You are on borderline with that gpa + dat scores. You can apply and potentially get in but honestly if i were you id retake DAT in late july push for 20+ then apply asap

Really appreciate your insights! Thank you for taking the time.

Overall GPA: 3.75
Science GPA: 3.69
BCP GPA: 3.6
Undergrad: U Iowa
DAT: 19 AA, 19 TS, 18 PA, 19 QR, 22 RC, 18 BIO, 19 GC, 18 OC
Extracuriculars: About 150 service hours (non-dental). Worked at the Dental School as a sterilization tech, other random jobs. Philanthropy Chair at campus service fraternity.
Shadowing hours: 75 at multiple general dentists, one orthodontist
Letters of Rec: 2 science professors, 1 general dentist, 1 Spanish professor. Put in the time to get to know them so I hope they are strong.
Planning to submit AADSAS: Jun 15
Professional Goals: general dentist
State of Residence: Illinois
Misc Info: Are my chances good with the 19? Based on the past year's avg of 20.3, I decided to retake the DAT in early July hoping for a better score after a more systematic study regimen. Graduating in Dec 2017 instead of Spring 2018.
Hoping for SIU, UIC to get in-state tuition. SO attends BU Law so would be happy to attend BU, Tufts, New England etc to be closer to each other. Would like suggestions on where else to apply. Thank you!

So you are competitive because you have a nice gpa. Would apply to 12 schools: mostly private + your in state + maybe 1-2 OOs schools

You are on borderline with that gpa + dat scores. You can apply and potentially get in but honestly if i were you id retake DAT in late july push for 20+ then apply asap
Thanks!

Thx @tyjacobs & @FeralisExtremum

overall gpa: 3.56
science gpa: 3.30
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.30
undergrad attended: top 10 university
DAT score: 22 AA/ 21 TS/ 25 PAT
extracurriculars: 900 research hours (pending publications), president of pre-dental club, president of community service club, two work-study jobs
shadowing hours: 180 hrs assisting a general dentist, 10 shadowing ortho, 30 shadowing OMFS
letters of rec: 4 total: gen chem professor (research adviser), biochem professor, anthropology professor, general dentist
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: mid July
professional goals: interested in OMFS or general dentistry
state of residence: MA
misc info you think is important: majored in a non-science

overall gpa: 3.61
science gpa: 3.63
undergrad attended (if you are comfortable sharing): UT Austin
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA-20, TS-19, PAT-22, OC-29, GC-19, BIO-17 :( , RC-18, QR-18
extracirriculars- 1500 hours Medical Assistant, 900 hours of research on plant (1 publication, 1 under revision), 400 hours Sterile Tech at Dental practice, 200 hours volunteer at hospital, 50 hours non-health related volunteer, etc.
shadowing hours (who did you shadow)- 100 (4 general dentists)
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who)- 4 (2 science professors, 1 from a physician, 1 from a dentist. IDK how strong, never read them, they are confidential on Interfolio)
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application- Late June
professional goals- General Dentist
state of residence- Texas
misc info you think is important: Biochemistry major, took the MCAT and applied to med schools before but was rejected. I became interested in dentistry after working at dental practice and shadowing dentists.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all thanks for the two of you for helping out us applicants! Its nice to have input from someone who been through the whole process.

Overall gpa: 3.47
Science gpa: 3.39
Bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.69
Undergrad attended: University of Maine, Mechanical Engineering
DAT score: TBD (Please recommend what score would be needed to be competitive) I think i can realistically get a 20 AA.
Community Service: Nothing :( However I'm joining the Masons this month. Hoping to do ~25 hours so I have something on the application.
Extracurricular: (1) summer mechanical engineering internship, (1) summer/part time during school year mechanical engineering internship, then hired on as a full capacity engineer before graduation, working part time during the school year, then walking onto the job after graduation. Worked ~25 hours a week, waiting tables, managing a bowling ally, and other odd jobs until my engineering internships. So my EC's besides engineering is non existent.
Shadowing hours: ~40 hrs general dentist
Assisting hours: ~1000 hrs, I also helped build a new dental office, keep the books, ordering, developed company website/brand identity/logo, and equipment maintenance. (I wanted to learn everything about how to run a practice, not just assisting).
Letters of rec: 3 total: Microbiology Professor (moderate), Chemistry professor (strong), and a general dentist (extremely strong).
When you plan on submitting AADSAS application: mid July
Professional goals: General dentistry (Probably in rural Maine)
State of residence: ME
Misc info you think is important: Worked as a mechanical engineer for a few years after graduation. Realized I would rather fix people than machines. Quit my job and started working as a dental assistant and re-enrolled in school to take prerequisites. Taking a leap of faith.

Any advice to make my application better would be greatly appreciated, I am very nervous after having pulled a 180 in my career that I won't get in.

Thanks!

Did someone mention UConn? :p

So with age -- some schools are skeptical about older applicants (you fit this bill) because they are far removed from schpol and other reasons. Doesnt mean they dont accept them.

Your dat score is low for columbia (aa avg is 23). Dat is very important for columbia. Also you are canadian which puts you at a disadvantage as well.

I think you have strong shot at penn.

Def apply to like 12-14 schools mix in good amount of private schools to keep you covered

I see. If Im doing my Masters in bio right now, doesnt that mean Im not far removed from school though? Also, I graduated in 2015 and started shool late so do you know if they keep tabs on age by itself or your graduation date/if youre in postgrad/grad now.