Chance me/where should I apply thread 2017: tyjacobs and feralis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nah I think most schools will really like that you were in the millitary. I know columbia does for a fact.

Good GPA + DAT combo. Yes you are on the older side but i think your career choices will undo the disadvantages of that.

Apply to some ivies IMO on top of that list. Add nyu, creighton, mwu-il

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

overall gpa: 3.29 (upward trend)
science gpa: 3.33 (upward trend)
undergrad attended: University of Central Florida
DAT score: 23 AA, 24TS (26 BIO, 23 GC, 22 OC), 21 PAT, 22 QR, 22 RC
extracurriculars: founder of a calisthenics club, volunteer at Dental Oncologist lab & office (learned basic lab procedures), good amount of hours volunteering at a community service association, summer camp leader, Give Kids the World (a place helping children with chronic disorders), started a basketball league
shadowing hours: ~192 hrs, 48 general, 144 oncologist
letters of rec: Dental Oncologist, 2 Science professors (Organic chemistry, Microbiology), English Professor
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: already submitted, took DAT July 29 so still needs to get verified, but in the process of sending out unofficial transcripts to schools that accept them
state of residence: FL
Schools applied to: UF, Nova, Maryland, Arizona, Midwestern (arizona & illinois), Louisville, Tufts, Case Western, Detroit Mercy, Temple, LECOM, NYU
Need advice if I should apply to more schools and if so which ones do you recommend? I want to go to a school known for strong clinical and opportunities and also a decent location (hoping for Boston/Chicago area). Also, my GPA has a really strong upward trend especially in the past two years. I received C's in my biology's my freshman year, but hoping schools will look past that since I got a 26 in bio on the DAT. I finished my last and hardest semester (including microbio & biochem) with a 4.0. I'm also taking more upper science courses in Fall and will do an academic update in December to reinforce that I am capable of doing well in D school.

Members don't see this ad :)
mine was missed too

ogpa: 3.53
sgpa: 3.39
bcpgpa: ~3.39
DAT: 20 AA, 20 TS, 23 PAT, 20 QR,19 RC, 19 BIO, 20 GC, 20 OC
extracurriculars: dental assistant for ~600 hours for 2 general dentist offices (one with 2 dentists, other with 5), research ~400 hours and hoping to be published, will be officer for a club this upcoming year, predent society, tribeta, volunteer ~ 150 hours through multiple organizations (FRN, YWCA, Discovery Day)
shadowing: ~100 hours from one of the 2 offices
letters of rec: committee letter with 2 strong prof and 1 strong dentist, separate one from PI at ucsf lab
professional goals: general dentist, maybe ortho
Plan on submit: mid-late july
schools applied: ucsf, ucla, western, usc, nyu, tufts, colorado, upenn, mehary, case, mwu-az, columbia, LECOM, unlv
residence: CA
misc: started freshman year with 2.7, but got 3.7-3.9 gpa since sophomore year. Hoping to stay in cali (pref uop or ucsf)

Thanks in advance!

overall gpa: 3.93
science gpa: 3.90
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.90
undergrad attended: Creighton University
DAT score: AA 21/ TS 20/ PAT 25/ Bio 18/ Chem 21/ Orgo 23/ RC 21/ QR 24
extracurriculars: General Chemistry TA (2 semesters), Youth Group leader (4 years, about 400 hours) and BBBS volunteer (1 year, 100 hours), pre-dental academy at Iowa (25 hours), fraternity VP, Hospital volunteering (>50 hours)
shadowing hours (who did you shadow): about 40 hours total (soft, i know) three general dentists and dental students at Creighton
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who): 4, one from gen chem prof (average), orgo prof (moderately strong), assistant clinical professor at Iowa dental school and DDS (Strong), Young Life staff member (Christian Organization, average)
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: Submitted July 26th (transcripts were verified before submitting)
professional goals: GD or ortho
state of residence: Illinois
misc info you think is important: Im applying as a rising junior im undergrad, a year early. I was also my high school valedictorian of a class of 500 if that counts for anything

Notes: would really like to attend Iowa, not sure of my OOS chances a year early. Cant apply to many schools because i will not have a bachelors degree by the end of this year.
you don't need a bachelors degree by the time u apply to dental school. Majority of people from undergrad that apply have finished 3 years and will be getting the bachelors following year

you don't need a bachelors degree by the time u apply to dental school. Majority of people from undergrad that apply have finished 3 years and will be getting the bachelors following year

He's a rising jr. He wouldn't have a bachelors by matriculation. Most schools want you to have a bachelors degree unless you have some type of extraordinary stats or circumstance.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
He's a rising jr. He wouldn't have a bachelors by matriculation. Most schools want you to have a bachelors degree unless you have some type of extraordinary stats or circumstance.

Bachelors isn't really required as far as I know know. If you have all prerequisites and are more qualified then they'll accept ou. Yes there are a few schools that require you have it before you ou matriculate but I don't think that would be a disadvantage for other schools. Some bigger shops have 3-year undergrad combined with dental school program (assumed you gain acceptance). In that case you don't been start undergrad sit here the plan of obtaining a bachelors.

Bachelors isn't really required as far as I know know. If you have all prerequisites and are more qualified then they'll accept ou. Yes there are a few schools that require you have it before you ou matriculate but I don't think that would be a disadvantage for other schools. Some bigger shops have 3-year undergrad combined with dental school program (assumed you gain acceptance). In that case you don't been start undergrad sit here the plan of obtaining a bachelors.

Most schools require you to complete 90 credit hours before applying meaning your at least a junior and on track to graduate before matriculation. Most schools will be hesitant for maturity reasons.

overall gpa: 3.46
science gpa:3.41
undergrad attended: USF
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 20 AA, 21 TS, 19 PA, 21 QR, 16 RC, 20 GC, 21 OC, 22 Bio
extracurriculars: President of fraternity, Pre-Medical Association, Camp Boggy Creek, National Society of Collegiate Scholars Indian Student Association, South Florida Raas, American Red Cross Club
shadowing hours: 300+ hours from general and pediatric dentists, 200+ hours family doctor, mission trip
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who): 2 professors, 1 from a dentist from a mission trip and 1 from a regular dentist whom i shadowed
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: within the coming week or so
state of residence: Florida
misc info you think is important:
Applying to: UF, Nova, tufts, Lecom, Loma Linda, University of New England, Touro, UT memphis, NYU, University of Mississippi, Roseman, Boston university, University of Louisville

DAT score (include AA and all sections): 20 AA, 21 TS, 19 PA, 21 QR, 16 RC, 20 GC, 21 OC, 22 Bio
extracurriculars: President of fraternity, Pre-Medical Association, Camp Boggy Creek, National Society of Collegiate Scholars Indian Student Association, South Florida Raas, American Red Cross Club
shadowing hours: 300+ hours from general and pediatric dentists, 200+ hours family doctor, mission trip
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who): 2 professors, 1 from a dentist from a mission trip and 1 from a regular dentist whom i shadowed
Applying to: UF, Nova, tufts, Lecom, Loma Linda, University of New England, Touro, UT memphis, NYU, University of Mississippi, Roseman, Boston university, University of Louisville

UMiss does not accept ANY OOS applicants btw.

Reactions: 1 users
Age 21
Biology major chem and Spanish minors
23 aa
22 ts
21 bio
22 orgo
27 gc
22 qr
21 reading
21 pat
3.78 gpa. 3.68 science gpa
3.67 bio/biochem/physics gpa
200 hours community service
fraternity philanthropy chair
350 hours working/shadowing general dentist
Manager at country club
2 science letters of recommendation (bio and physics) 1 Spanish. 1 public speaking. 1 general dentist. All good letters.
ny state resident
Submitted app in July 25th all schools recieved
Waiting for official dat scores( took exam on 7/25)
applying to:
stony brook, Columbia, nyu, tufts, bu, maryland, rutgers, touro, pitt.

age 25
overall gpa ~3.4
science gpa ~3.0
bio-chem-physics gpa ~2.8
undergrad attended Emory University
DAT score (include AA and all sections)
AA 19 QR 20 PAT 21 RC 20 Bio 18 GC 17 OC 20 TS 18
extracirriculars -VP of sorority along with other positions, research over 2 years, lectured Health class alone for 3 years at undergrad for freshman, other work (office assistant, tutor), hospital volunteer for over 2 years, etc.
shadowing hours (who did you shadow) 2000+ hours from general dentist; 40 for orthodontist; 4 for endodontist
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who)- committee letter (general dentist, head of neuroscience dept & senior lecturer at neuroscience dept from undergrad)
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application Aug 10th
professional goals General dentistry or orthodontist
state of residence CA
misc info you think is important: bilingual in Chinese, switched from pre med to pre dental with lots of experiences; graduated and worked while in gap years at the dental clinic

As a reapplicant, should I update my PS even though Im already writing a paragraph on what I've done different from last year (aka more science classes with 4.0 GPA)

Ogpa: 3.66
Science gap: 3.71
undergrad: VCU
Dat scores: AA 19, PAT 18, QR 16, RC 18, GC 21, OC 21, TS 20
Extrac: founder of a youth group, supplemental instructor at VCU for chemistry, Treasurer and event coordinator of a club, councilir and volunteer head of a club, I have 1000+ hours of volunteering, manager of a family owned business
Shadowing: 140 hours with a general dentist
letters of rec: 2 science (1 inorganic and 1 physical chem professor), 1 dentist, 1 calculus professor
want to submit ASAP
Professional goals: I want to be a general dentist
State of residence: VA
Misc: bilingual

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! application cycle is beginning soon. @FeralisExtremum and I are D1s at columbia college of dental medicine. We are both experts at this stuff because we have collectively answered these questions many times on SDN. If you would like us to chance you/tell you where to apply, we am more than happy to help you! Just fill out the form below and we will give you my advice. We are in finals ssn so it may take some time to respond (we will respond in an adequate amount of time though)

*****READ -- YOU NEED TO HAVE TAKEN DAT OR ELSE WE CANNOT CHANCE YOU*******

to calculate GPA, use this link to tell you what classes fall under what category http://hpplc.indiana.edu/documents/AADSASCourseSubjects2015_071414.pdf

here is how you calculate GPA (download the PDF, its from aadsas):
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwidgLeb9N7TAhUCRCYKHbj4A00QFggiMAA&url=http://www.adea.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=24512&usg=AFQjCNF4aw1Jc4wH76maZCox3XlMyB-lYQ&cad=rja

age (if you are comfortable, yes this matters to some schools)
overall gpa
science gpa
bio-chem-physics gpa
undergrad attended (if you are comfortable sharing)
extracirriculars
shadowing hours (who did you shadow)
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who)
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application
professional goals
state of residence

Overall gpa: 3.84
science gpa: 3.89
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.88
undergrad attended (if you are comfortable sharing): Saint Mary's University of Minnesota
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
AA/TS/BIO/GC/OC/RC/QR/PAT
21/20/19/20/21/23/24/24
extracirriculars:
NCAA Hockey Player and have committed roughly 3000 hours of my college career to it, Organic Chemistry Tutor, employee at orthodontic office where I assist in taking apart patients and putting mods on, as well as working in the ortho lab pouring molds, 85 volunteer hours, member of 2 honors society's (Beta Beta Beta & Delta Epsilon Sigma), and am president of Beta Beta Beta, skills instructor for youth hockey players ages 3+
shadowing hours (who did you shadow): Shadowed a variety of different practices for 125+ hours, (ortho, surgery, general, perio, labs, endo)
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who): 3 from my general dentist who went to UCLA and taught there for some time after, and 2 of my professors, one of which attended the University of Chicago to receive her Ph. D in Organic Chemistry
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: ASAP (Before September hits realistically)
professional goals: Specialize in some sort of field. Hoping to find that passion in dental school
state of residence: IL
misc info you think is important: Named on the All-Academic team in 2015-2016 for the conference my team participates in, named to Dean's List 5/6 semesters for having a minimum of a 3.6 GPA, research experience, such as organizing a three step synthesis and studying the effects of atrazine on mice, will be researching the efficiencies of mechanical and manual toothbrushes for my senior thesis, will be taking a ceramics class this fall as well

Pretty much reading off of my current CV lol

Hi guys! im back sorry for the hiatus was on vacation will be responding to this thread now and more!

overall gpa: 3.29 (upward trend)
science gpa: 3.33 (upward trend)
undergrad attended: University of Central Florida
DAT score: 23 AA, 24TS (26 BIO, 23 GC, 22 OC), 21 PAT, 22 QR, 22 RC
extracurriculars: founder of a calisthenics club, volunteer at Dental Oncologist lab & office (learned basic lab procedures), good amount of hours volunteering at a community service association, summer camp leader, Give Kids the World (a place helping children with chronic disorders), started a basketball league
shadowing hours: ~192 hrs, 48 general, 144 oncologist
letters of rec: Dental Oncologist, 2 Science professors (Organic chemistry, Microbiology), English Professor
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: already submitted, took DAT July 29 so still needs to get verified, but in the process of sending out unofficial transcripts to schools that accept them
state of residence: FL
Schools applied to: UF, Nova, Maryland, Arizona, Midwestern (arizona & illinois), Louisville, Tufts, Case Western, Detroit Mercy, Temple, LECOM, NYU

Need advice if I should apply to more schools and if so which ones do you recommend? I want to go to a school known for strong clinical and opportunities and also a decent location (hoping for Boston/Chicago area). Also, my GPA has a really strong upward trend especially in the past two years. I received C's in my biology's my freshman year, but hoping schools will look past that since I got a 26 in bio on the DAT. I finished my last and hardest semester (including microbio & biochem) with a 4.0. I'm also taking more upper science courses in Fall and will do an academic update in December to reinforce that I am capable of doing well in D school.

I'd apply to some more private schools because of your lowish science GPA (note that your DAT score is very good and undoes the lowish science GPA): BU, touro, UNE

mine was missed too

ogpa: 3.53
sgpa: 3.39
bcpgpa: ~3.39
DAT: 20 AA, 20 TS, 23 PAT, 20 QR,19 RC, 19 BIO, 20 GC, 20 OC
extracurriculars: dental assistant for ~600 hours for 2 general dentist offices (one with 2 dentists, other with 5), research ~400 hours and hoping to be published, will be officer for a club this upcoming year, predent society, tribeta, volunteer ~ 150 hours through multiple organizations (FRN, YWCA, Discovery Day)
shadowing: ~100 hours from one of the 2 offices
letters of rec: committee letter with 2 strong prof and 1 strong dentist, separate one from PI at ucsf lab
professional goals: general dentist, maybe ortho
Plan on submit: mid-late july
schools applied: ucsf, ucla, western, usc, nyu, tufts, colorado, upenn, mehary, case, mwu-az, columbia, LECOM, unlv
residence: CA
misc: started freshman year with 2.7, but got 3.7-3.9 gpa since sophomore year. Hoping to stay in cali (pref uop or ucsf)

Thanks in advance!

HMM i'd definitely apply to more schools because your science GPA is a little low and your DAT score is the normal score people get who enter dental school. Add loma-linda, BU, touro, UNE, nova, mwu-IL (is this private school?), etc.

Similar to my previous post, slightly low GPA with normal DAT score that kids get i with. I think you did a good job of applying broadly, we'll see what happens you are in the border IMO

Age 21
Biology major chem and Spanish minors
23 aa
22 ts
21 bio
22 orgo
27 gc
22 qr
21 reading
21 pat
3.78 gpa. 3.68 science gpa
3.67 bio/biochem/physics gpa
200 hours community service
fraternity philanthropy chair
350 hours working/shadowing general dentist
Manager at country club
2 science letters of recommendation (bio and physics) 1 Spanish. 1 public speaking. 1 general dentist. All good letters.
ny state resident
Submitted app in July 25th all schools recieved
Waiting for official dat scores( took exam on 7/25)
applying to:
stony brook, Columbia, nyu, tufts, bu, maryland, rutgers, touro, pitt.

Really good stats, you'll get a good amount of interviews. Good list of schools you applied to. Good luck

age 25
overall gpa ~3.4
science gpa ~3.0
bio-chem-physics gpa ~2.8
undergrad attended Emory University
AA 19 QR 20 PAT 21 RC 20 Bio 18 GC 17 OC 20 TS 18
extracirriculars -VP of sorority along with other positions, research over 2 years, lectured Health class alone for 3 years at undergrad for freshman, other work (office assistant, tutor), hospital volunteer for over 2 years, etc.
shadowing hours (who did you shadow) 2000+ hours from general dentist; 40 for orthodontist; 4 for endodontist
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who)- committee letter (general dentist, head of neuroscience dept & senior lecturer at neuroscience dept from undergrad)
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application Aug 10th
professional goals General dentistry or orthodontist
state of residence CA
misc info you think is important: bilingual in Chinese, switched from pre med to pre dental with lots of experiences; graduated and worked while in gap years at the dental clinic

As a reapplicant, should I update my PS even though Im already writing a paragraph on what I've done different from last year (aka more science classes with 4.0 GPA)

HMM I'd try to boost your stats up before you apply again. Your DAT low and your science GPA is low (even despite the more science classes you took). Retake the DAT over the gap year (aim for 23AA+) and try to take some science classes to boost your sci GPA

If you want to apply still, definitely update your PS to say what you have done to improve your application over the gap year

Overall gpa: 3.84
science gpa: 3.89
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.88
undergrad attended (if you are comfortable sharing): Saint Mary's University of Minnesota
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
AA/TS/BIO/GC/OC/RC/QR/PAT
21/20/19/20/21/23/24/24
extracirriculars:
NCAA Hockey Player and have committed roughly 3000 hours of my college career to it, Organic Chemistry Tutor, employee at orthodontic office where I assist in taking apart patients and putting mods on, as well as working in the ortho lab pouring molds, 85 volunteer hours, member of 2 honors society's (Beta Beta Beta & Delta Epsilon Sigma), and am president of Beta Beta Beta, skills instructor for youth hockey players ages 3+
shadowing hours (who did you shadow): Shadowed a variety of different practices for 125+ hours, (ortho, surgery, general, perio, labs, endo)
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who): 3 from my general dentist who went to UCLA and taught there for some time after, and 2 of my professors, one of which attended the University of Chicago to receive her Ph. D in Organic Chemistry
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: ASAP (Before September hits realistically)
professional goals: Specialize in some sort of field. Hoping to find that passion in dental school
state of residence: IL
misc info you think is important: Named on the All-Academic team in 2015-2016 for the conference my team participates in, named to Dean's List 5/6 semesters for having a minimum of a 3.6 GPA, research experience, such as organizing a three step synthesis and studying the effects of atrazine on mice, will be researching the efficiencies of mechanical and manual toothbrushes for my senior thesis, will be taking a ceramics class this fall as well

Pretty much reading off of my current CV lol

very very good stats. Where did you apply to? What are your professional goals?

Hi guys! im back sorry for the hiatus was on vacation will be responding to this thread now and more!
Pleaseeee dont skip me! Your input is greatly appreciated

Ogpa: 3.66
Science gap: 3.71
undergrad: VCU
Dat scores: AA 19, PAT 18, QR 16, RC 18, GC 21, OC 21, TS 20
Extrac: founder of a youth group, supplemental instructor at VCU for chemistry, Treasurer and event coordinator of a club, councilir and volunteer head of a club, I have 1000+ hours of volunteering, manager of a family owned business
Shadowing: 140 hours with a general dentist
letters of rec: 2 science (1 inorganic and 1 physical chem professor), 1 dentist, 1 calculus professor
want to submit ASAP
Professional goals: I want to be a general dentist
State of residence: VA
Misc: bilingual

I think that your stats are totally good to apply (you should receive a good amount of invites). Where did you apply to?

I think that your stats are totally good to apply (you should receive a good amount of invites). Where did you apply to?
I applied to vcu, nova, tufts, maryland, arizona, case western, detroit mercy, kentucky, minnesota, lecom, nyu, howard, meharry, univ of ill, uconn, upenn, usc. I was rejected by midwestern. I really want to get into vcu or maryland

I applied to vcu, nova, tufts, maryland, arizona, case western, detroit mercy, kentucky, minnesota, lecom, nyu, howard, meharry, univ of ill, uconn, upenn, usc. I was rejected by midwestern. I really want to get into vcu or maryland

yeah you applied to a good amount of schools (nice broad coverage). Just wait and see what happens

@tyjacobs Can you help me out as well?

overall gpa: 3.43
science gpa: 3.27
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.16
undergrad attended (if you are comfortable sharing): UCSD
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 24 AA (25 TS), 24 Bio, 30 GC, 22 OC, 21 RC, 24 QR, 21 PAT
extracurriculars: ~400 Research hours, no publication, 1 presentation; ~50 volunteering hours; ~110 clinic volunteering hours; currently working full time in a dental clinic as a dental assistant/assistant manager
shadowing hours (who did you shadow): ~105 hours, shadowed 6-7 dentists across 4 clinics, all GP
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who): 2 science (1 from cancer bio, prof is also a faculty member under med school radiation department, strong; 1 from medicinal chem, decent), 1 non-science (Japanese, decent), 1 dentist (decent)
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: e-submitting in 2-3 days, will have everything including secondaries completed by the end of the month (hopefully)
professional goals: GP, will decide whether to specialize in dental school
state of residence: California
misc info you think is important: 2 years HS, 1 year CC (mediocre grade ~3.4, bio/ochem/physics taken here, 1 C in ochem2), 2 years UC (horrible first year ~2.2 with 2 Fs/1D/3Ws, strong second year ~3.95 in 16 classes/high unit load); Asian; bilingual in 2 languages, and know 2 more languages decently

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
@tyjacobs Can you help me out as well?

overall gpa: 3.43
science gpa: 3.27
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.16
undergrad attended (if you are comfortable sharing): UCSD
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 24 AA (25 TS), 24 Bio, 30 GC, 22 OC, 21 RC, 24 QR, 21 PAT
extracurriculars: ~400 Research hours, no publication, 1 presentation; ~50 volunteering hours; ~110 clinic volunteering hours; currently working full time in a dental clinic as a dental assistant/assistant manager
shadowing hours (who did you shadow): ~105 hours, shadowed 6-7 dentists across 4 clinics, all GP
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who): 2 science (1 from cancer bio, prof is also a faculty member under med school radiation department, strong; 1 from medicinal chem, decent), 1 non-science (Japanese, decent), 1 dentist (decent)
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: e-submitting in 2-3 days, will have everything including secondaries completed by the end of the month (hopefully)
professional goals: GP, will decide whether to specialize in dental school
state of residence: California
misc info you think is important: 2 years HS, 1 year CC (mediocre grade ~3.4, bio/ochem/physics taken here, 1 C in ochem2), 2 years UC (horrible first year ~2.2 with 2 Fs/1D/3Ws, strong second year ~3.95 in 16 classes/high unit load); Asian; bilingual in 2 languages, and know 2 more languages decently

Thank you in advance!

I think with that DAT score, you should apply although the gpa is low. Where were you thinking about applying to?

I am currently doing the application process. The schools on my list so far are:

UIC (number 1)
Marquette
Michigan
Indiana
Iowa
Creighton
UCLA
Columbia
UPenn
Minnesota
(any other thoughts..?)

Thanks!

Professional goal is to specialize in either surgery, endodontics, or periodontics (not sure what exactly. hoping to find that passion in school)

@FeralisExtremum @tyjacobs any input would be appreciated greatly.

Undergrad: Ohio State
Residence: Virginia
Overall GPA: 3.67
Science GPA: 3.39
BCP GPA: 3.14 (this is my main concern)
DAT: 24AA / 21 TS / 23 Bio / 19 GC / 22 OC / 21 PAT / 25 RC / 30 QR
Other Factors
-Letters of rec from 2 science professors, a business professor, and a general dentist I shadowed
-Many Extracurriculars including creative endeavors (musicals, comedy, musician) , some charity work/fundraising, and leadership roles in multiple organizations
-Bio Teaching Assistant for 1 year
-100+ Shadowing Hours
-Upward trend for the BCP classes (only two C+ in Gen Chem is what brought it down)

These are the 11 schools I have applied to:

Tufts, BU, Marquette, Ohio State, Case, Michigan, VCU, UNE, UConn, Pitt, Colorado

I'm not sure if I should apply to others to gain acceptances. I'm currently considering any number of these as well:

Rutgers, Temple, NYU, University of Maryland (they prefer OOS Virginia it seems?), any other suggestions?

I am currently doing the application process. The schools on my list so far are:

UIC (number 1)
Marquette
Michigan
Indiana
Iowa
Creighton
UCLA
Columbia
UPenn
Minnesota
(any other thoughts..?)

Thanks!

list looks good, wouldn't apply anywhere else. good luck!

@FeralisExtremum @tyjacobs any input would be appreciated greatly.

Undergrad: Ohio State
Residence: Virginia
Overall GPA: 3.67
Science GPA: 3.39
BCP GPA: 3.14 (this is my main concern)
DAT: 24AA / 21 TS / 23 Bio / 19 GC / 22 OC / 21 PAT / 25 RC / 30 QR
Other Factors
-Letters of rec from 2 science professors, a business professor, and a general dentist I shadowed
-Many Extracurriculars including creative endeavors (musicals, comedy, musician) , some charity work/fundraising, and leadership roles in multiple organizations
-Bio Teaching Assistant for 1 year
-100+ Shadowing Hours
-Upward trend for the BCP classes (only two C+ in Gen Chem is what brought it down)

These are the 11 schools I have applied to:

Tufts, BU, Marquette, Ohio State, Case, Michigan, VCU, UNE, UConn, Pitt, Colorado

I'm not sure if I should apply to others to gain acceptances. I'm currently considering any number of these as well:

Rutgers, Temple, NYU, University of Maryland (they prefer OOS Virginia it seems?), any other suggestions?

Yes, the BCP GPA is somewhat of a red flag but your DAT makes up for it. I would apply to more than 11, schools. Add temple, nyu, maryland, touro, nova and i think you'll be good

oGPA: 3.73
sGPA: 3.59
bcpGPA: 3.62
Undergrad: University of Oklahoma - Biology Major (Honors College)
DAT: 23 PA - 21 QR - 22 RC - 20 Bio - 19 GC - 21 OC - 20 TS - 21 AA
Extracurricular: Rugby Team, VP of Fraternity, President's Cabinet of Student Government Association, Executive member of University charity
Shadowing: ~ 150 general practice
LoR: 2 Honors Professors, 1 Dentist, 1 employer
Professional Goals: Not too interested in specializing, want to own a high patient volume general practice in the Dallas area
Submitted TMDSAS: July 11 (app still processing) - TMDSAS app opened on May 1st
State of Residence: Texas

Sent you both a private message. Thanks for any input!

oGPA: 3.73
sGPA: 3.59
bcpGPA: 3.62
Undergrad: University of Oklahoma - Biology Major (Honors College)
DAT: 23 PA - 21 QR - 22 RC - 20 Bio - 19 GC - 21 OC - 20 TS - 21 AA
Extracurricular: Rugby Team, VP of Fraternity, President's Cabinet of Student Government Association, Executive member of University charity
Shadowing: ~ 150 general practice
LoR: 2 Honors Professors, 1 Dentist, 1 employer
Professional Goals: Not too interested in specializing, want to own a high patient volume general practice in the Dallas area
Submitted TMDSAS: July 11 (app still processing) - TMDSAS app opened on May 1st

stats look very good. What schools are you applying to?

Want to make sure I'm not screwing up with where I'm applying to, thanks!

Overall GPA: 3.78
Science GPA: 3.88
DAT: 26 AA, 25 TS, 22 PAT, 29 QR, 28 RC, 24 BIO, 25 GC, 26 OC
Extracuriculars: 100 service hours in a leadership position, 50 hours shadowing multiple specialties, TA for Ochem Lab one semester, and worked at a grocery store one summer
Shadowing hours: 50 hours total at general dentist, orthodontist, oral surgeon, and endodontist
Letters of Rec: 2 science professors, 1 general dentist. One of the professors was the prof for the lab I TA'd for
Schools Applied to: Texas A&M, UT Houston, UT San Antonio, Oregon, Colorado, Tufts, Illinois, UCLA, USC, UoP, Harvard, Columbia
Working on adding USCF and UW.

I sent in my applications before I took the DAT and wasn't expecting the score I got, so now I'm adding schools that would have previously been reaches which I wouldn't have applied to.

I'm a little concerned about my mediocre EC's. What do you think my chances are at the top end schools like UCLA? (dream school)

stats look very good. What schools are you applying to?
At this point I have just applied to the 3 Texas schools (Texas A&M, Houston, San Antonio)

I am currently working on the ADEA application, do you have any recommendations for schools I should shoot for out of state?

overall gpa: 3.72
science gpa: 3.68
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.60
undergrad attended: Cornell University
DAT score: 30 QR/ 26 RC/ 28 Bio/ 26 Gen/ 22 Orgo/ 25 TS/ 26 AA/ 22 PAT
extracirriculars: Division 1 varsity sports letterwinner
shadowing hours: 100 shadowing OMFS, 80 shadowing general
letters of rec: 1 from OMFS (strong), 2 science profs (moderate), 1 from coach (strong)
state of residence: PA

I plan on applying to UNC, Michigan, UF, Ohio State, Pitt, Penn, VCU, UoP, WVU, and Maryland.

Any thoughts for my chances on these? Especially UNC, Michicgan, UF?

New York resident:
oGPA: 3.75
sGPA: 3.66
nonscience GPA: 4.00
DAT: 18AA 18TS 18GC 17OC 20BIO 17RC 19QR 21PAT
400 hours volunteer
300+ hour shadow
also research
Applied to:
Ohio State, UNC, FLA, Western University of Health, Nova Southeastern, UB, Stony Brook, PENN, ECU, VCU, Case, RSDM, TEMP, UOP, Loma

New York resident:
400 hours volunteer
300+ hour shadow
also research
Applied to:
Ohio State, UNC, FLA, Western University of Health, Nova Southeastern, UB, Stony Brook, PENN, ECU, VCU, Case, RSDM, TEMP, UOP, Loma

Off the top of my head UNC, Stony Brook, Penn, RSDM, and UOP are all going to be big reaches with that DAT score. You shouldn't have applied to ECU, I'm pretty sure they only take NC residents.

Last edited:
overall gpa: 3.77
bio-chem-physics gpa:3.64
DAT score: 21 AA 22 TS 20 PAT 24 Bio 19 GC 26 OC 21 RC 17 QR
extracirriculars: founded a program that teaches underserved high school students science. Held many leadership positions in other programs. Volunteered at hospital. Tutored students. All volunteering/EC lasted from 6 months to 2 years.
shadowing hours: 101. Shadowed orthodontist, pediatric dentist, and general dentist
letters of rec: 4, two science, two dentists. All strong.
misc info you think is important: Parent works at dental school. Don't know if that helps at all.

Overall GPA: 3.19
Science GPA: 3.17
BCP: 2.97 :(
4.0 post-bac 19 hours
DAT: 22 AA; 23 TS; 22 Bio; 23 GC; 26 Orgo; 22 PAT; 22 RC; 17 Qr
Undergrad: university of Iowa; Illinois resident
EC: volunteer as a dental assistant at a free clinic for the homeless, volunteer as a dental assistant at an annual free dental clinic (IMOM), research at UIC's dental school, lots of shadowing hours, and leadership opportunities during my undergrad such as freshman orientation.
Chances? Starting to panic lol

Last edited:
New York resident:
400 hours volunteer
300+ hour shadow
also research
Applied to:

The fact you applied to ECU says you did absolutely 0 research on your schools lol

Overall GPA: 3.19
Science GPA: 3.17
BCP: 2.97 :(
4.0 post-bac 19 hours
DAT: 22 AA; 23 TS; 22 Bio; 23 GC; 26 Orgo; 22 PAT; 22 RC; 17 Qr
Undergrad: university of Iowa; Illinois resident
EC: volunteer as a dental assistant at a free clinic for the homeless, volunteer as a dental assistant at an annual free dental clinic (IMOM), research at UIC's dental school, lots of shadowing hours, and leadership opportunities during my undergrad such as freshman orientation.
Chances? Starting to panic lol
Excellent work on the DAT but you need a masters if you don't hear back this cycle

Excellent work on the DAT but you need a masters if you don't hear back this cycle
Thank you! Is there a specific reason you think I'd need a masters? I'm pursuing a chemistry degree right now and if all goes well I should raise my gpa quite a bit

Goodluck to those still applying, and congrats to those already admitted! Too soon for a 2018 thread, or should we get a head start on it? I think it'd help as we are getting ready to finalize our apps!

Hello! application cycle is beginning soon. @FeralisExtremum and I have been through the process. We are both experts at this stuff because we have collectively answered these questions many times on SDN. If you would like us to chance you/tell you where to apply, we am more than happy to help you! Just fill out the form below and we will give you my advice. We are in finals ssn so it may take some time to respond (we will respond in an adequate amount of time though)

*****READ -- YOU NEED TO HAVE TAKEN DAT OR ELSE WE CANNOT CHANCE YOU*******

to calculate GPA, use this link to tell you what classes fall under what category http://hpplc.indiana.edu/documents/AADSASCourseSubjects2015_071414.pdf

here is how you calculate GPA (download the PDF, its from aadsas):
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwidgLeb9N7TAhUCRCYKHbj4A00QFggiMAA&url=http://www.adea.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=24512&usg=AFQjCNF4aw1Jc4wH76maZCox3XlMyB-lYQ&cad=rja

age (if you are comfortable, yes this matters to some schools)
overall gpa
science gpa
bio-chem-physics gpa
undergrad attended (if you are comfortable sharing)
extracirriculars
shadowing hours (who did you shadow)
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who)
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application
professional goals
state of residence
age 31
overall gpa 3.4
science gpa 3.3
bio-chem-physics gpa 3.33
undergrad attended: University of Missouri
DAT score AA 19/18 BIO/21 GC//17 OC/19 TS/22 RC/19 QR/19 PAT
extracurriculars: MedOPP honors pre-med/pre-dental
shadowing hours: >500 at 5 different clinics that were ortho, GP, OMFS, and public health
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who) one from a GP DDS, one from an MD I work with in an ER, one from an organization I volunteered at, one organic chemistry professor and an organic chemistry lab coordinator. All strong
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application 2019 (3rd cycle of applying)
professional goals: GP with specialty in sleep dentistry and sedation
state of residence: MO
misc info you think is important: I have worked full time as an RN for roughly 9 years and attending nursing school is similar to attending professional school in that class and clinicals are 32-40 hours a week (not including studying or assignments)

Overall Gpa: 3.76
Science Gpa: 3.60
BCP GPA: 3.56
DAT score: AA 23/24 BIO/23 GC/22 OC/23 TS/22 RC/22 QR/16 PAT
extracurriculars

Volunteering at 3 dental clinics [total 200 hours] , Research assistant at Veteran Hospital for 1.5 years, 1st author in a neurobio journal, helped launch a startup. Summer research Fellow through school of medicine with multiple research awards and presentations, Participant of an accelerator program for startups. Chair for a public health group on campus, helped coordinate a pen pal system between our organization, college students, and Detroit k-12 students.
shadowing hours: 200 at my OMFS
letters of rec 4 total, 3 from my biology professors (cell bio, genetics, biochem and my OMFS)
when you plan on submitting AADSAS: I submitted 10/12/17 to most schools, last school I applied to was Penn on 10/20/17
professional goals: Pursue Hospital dentistry with a focus on TMJ clinical Research, NOT interested in pursuing DDS/PHD programs.
state of residence: Michigan
misc info you think is important: Had multiple TMJ surgeries and jaw surgery, braces for 10 years. Mouth was locked shut for years because my TMJ was really messed up. Talked about this in my personal statement.

Applied to: Umich, Col, Pitt, UDM, Penn, Columbia, Harvard (dont know why), UIC
Mainly concerned about the 16 PAT. I got interviewed and accepted into one school already but every other school I applied to has yet to get back to me. My top program is UMICH, at this point should I call it quits and apply for next cycle? Also do I have to reconsider my DAT for a retake because of that PAT? I doubt I can score that high again but if I study I'm sure i can pull a 21aa/ts in hopes of getting a 20 PAT.

age 31
overall gpa 3.4
science gpa 3.3
bio-chem-physics gpa 3.33
undergrad attended: University of Missouri
DAT score AA 19/18 BIO/21 GC//17 OC/19 TS/22 RC/19 QR/19 PAT
extracurriculars: MedOPP honors pre-med/pre-dental
shadowing hours: >500 at 5 different clinics that were ortho, GP, OMFS, and public health
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who) one from a GP DDS, one from an MD I work with in an ER, one from an organization I volunteered at, one organic chemistry professor and an organic chemistry lab coordinator. All strong
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application 2019 (3rd cycle of applying)
professional goals: GP with specialty in sleep dentistry and sedation
state of residence: MO
misc info you think is important: I have worked full time as an RN for roughly 9 years and attending nursing school is similar to attending professional school in that class and clinicals are 32-40 hours a week (not including studying or assignments)

It’s that low DAT, slowish GPA combo. Retake the DAT and try to get 21+. Dental schools only becoming more competitive.