Chances/25-26 MCAT Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

Assembler

Hi Guys,

Sorry that this is probably going to be a thead most people despise; another game of "chance(s)." I'm planning on taking the August MCAT, and so far I've been getting 25-26. My physics and bio sections are around 9-10 depending on whichever test, but my verbal is always a constant 7. I just can't seem to break that 7, and it sucks, because it's only 2 questions away from 8.

Well, anyway, with all that said, would DO schools still consider me? I want to apply Allo also, but I don't think I have that great of a shot at those schools now. Also, what are the average MCAT scores for DO matriculants?

The rest of the things on my application are in OK order; I have a 3.65 GPA (non-sci+sci), 4.00 (non-sci), and 3.5 (sci). My EC's have been lagging behind this year, but I have a pretty good amount over the last 3 years in general.

Edit:
I'm not really looking for someone to say "you have a xx.xxxx% chance." Just want some general thoughts. I really want to take this test once, and never again. lol. That is, if I score decently enough the first time around. Don't care whichever medical school I get into either, but I'm placing the Caribbeans (ie SGU) as the last resort.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, with a 25 or 26, you would still be competative given your other stats.

I'd wait until after the MCAT to worry about it though. Practice test have a nasty habit of being somewhat unreliable score predictors.

Good luck,
S.

I have a friend who is just starting his fourth year at KCOM. His GPA was 3.4, science GPA slightly lower, MCAT 25.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have an above average gpa for some DO schools and slightly below avg. mcat score. Therefore, these the positive of one cancels out the negative of the mcat. Like stoic said, your stats are competitive even with the 25-26. Along with good LOR's and a solid essay, you should get in somewhere. My friend had a 25 and lower gpa then you and got into nycom, so don't worry. Good luck.

you have a very good chance.. don't worry.. i know several people who were in a worse position than you who have been accepted.. be positive and do well on the MCAT.. you've done everything else you can....

edit: try to get a strong LOR from a D.O.... that goes SUCH a long way...

U4iA said:
try to get a strong LOR from a D.O.... that goes SUCH a long way...

with a 24M and a 3.09 who is currently at UNE, I couldn't agree more ;) ;) ;) ... just wait till after you take the test to start worrying about what will happen with "such-and-such" a number... concentrate on the test, then "worry" about your score... good luck!

I never broke about a 22 on a practice test, but I got a 26 on the real thing. I was so relaxed thinking it was just a practice run, maybe that helped. I had a 7 in PS, that was the low score. I have 2 interviews so far this fall with this score. I believe there are more important factors than MCAT scores that they may look at (depends on the school). Your Science g.p.a. is excellent and that will be a big factor I think. Have any preceptorship experience?

-Dan

Oops! Looking back at your post I thought you had a 4.0 Science, but 3.5 is still real good. I think your fine as long as you get some good EC.

-Dan

PS- I am only an applicant like you, so it is just my opinion, but your scores and g.p.a are very close to mine. 26 MCAT and 3.7 science

Thanks for the thoughtful replies, everyone. I really appreciate it.

As far as getting a DO letter - I personally do not know of any osteopathic physicians; I will try to muster up something though.

Also, dancote - I don't have any preceptorship experience; ie. I've never shadowed a physician before. I have regular volunteering hours (of course everyone does), and I also had a fellowship at a university in organic synthesis one summer; somewhere in the neighborhood of 400-500 hours. The molecule we were working on has some promising medical implications, but somehow I doubt it will be released anytime in the near future. I have quite a few other EC's as well.

On my last diag, I got 26 (AAMC 7). Though, I didn't get any sleep for 2 days when I took that test. Today I took 6R and got 27 (10P 7V 10B). I just want my damn verbal score to go up. Maybe I could pull off 28.

Oh, also, that's seriously amazing that you raised it up 4 pts from the practice to the real thing. Must've been a total surprise. You have a better science GPA than I do too, so I think you should be fine also.

The only other problem I have now is that I know DO schools tend to take nontraditional applicants moreso than just-graduated types of people. I looked at the MSAR for Allo schools, and it said there was only a 1% acceptance rate for people between the ages of 19-21. That puts me in a sort of awkward position (I'm 19 now, and will be 20 if I enter next fall).

You have a lot of good EC stuff for sure. Still, if you can find a D.O. to shadow with, that would be another important "feather in your cap". I was fortunate enough here in Michigan to do about 3 hours a week for about 2 years. I also fit the nontraditional student catagory. I returned to school after 10 years (I am 35). I did 2 years all science and got all A's so as to show them I was serious.
I know a lot of young (19 and 20 yo) students and my hat goes off to them for having the dedication at that age. I think you'll definitely get in with your grades and you'll probably do very well on the MCAT. Of course, I am not in yet so it is only my opinion based on what I've read here on SDN. I would try and have something to show that you are familiar with osteopathic medicine and perhaps a good reason why you WANT to be a D.O. Certainlly don't apply with the idea that it is your best option based on your grades and scores. Apply knowing that you want to be a D.O. and why.
Now get that phone book and look for a D.O.!!!

Good Luck with the MCAT!!

-Dan

ditto, most DOs seem amenable to cold call shadows

you have a good numbers for getting in. If you go to the DO site for applying you can find this data for Mcat scores.

Science Non-Science Mean GPA
1997 (19 Schools) 3.35 3.46 3.41
1998 (19 Schools 3.34 3.43 3.39
1999 (19 Schools) 3.36 3.50 3.43
2000 (19 Schools) 3.36 3.50 3.43
2001 (19 Schools) 3.36 3.50 3.43

Biological Science Physical Science Verbal Reasoning
1997 8.63 8.18 8.22
1998 8.73 8.16 8.21
1999 8.77 8.29 8.22
2000 8.69 8.18 8.11
2001 8.54 8.08 8.10

The best way to determine your chances is to check out mdapplicants.com for the schools you are interested in. There is also a DO stats PDF floating around the forum somewhere.

Check out the range of scores at MDapplicants.com as well as the average in the PDF file. If you fall within the range and/or near the averages, you probably will get in somewhere.

Then again, the whole process is an interaction of grades, MCAT, personal statement, LORs, and what you write on the secondary applications. Ergo, nobody really knows what will happen unless their stats are horribly, horribly low.

I try to stay away from MDapplicants.com now, because I know most of the data is somewhat skewed to the right. The ranges for the DO schools however, do seem to be correct; a range of anywhere between 24-27. I checked out the averages with a princeton review book, and there seemed to be a large consensus of 24-26. Thanks for mentioning the DO stats PDF - the averages haven't seemed to change there either. I guess I'm not totally out of the game, in that case.

I'm not really sure if shadowing a doctor is going to help me out right now, since right after I take the August MCAT, I'm going to be filing my application. By the time I get everything set in order, either I'll have just found someone to shadow or just begin to do it. I don't know if this would really make any difference in my application, versus someone who had already shadowed for x amount of hours. Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt. The only bad thing would be if I didn't find anyone till after I submitted the app, and in that case, it wouldn't even be on the app at all. lol. Ah. Nevermind. I'll probably just go about figuring these things one at a time; ie. after the test.

Assembler said:
I'm not really sure if shadowing a doctor is going to help me out right now, since right after I take the August MCAT, I'm going to be filing my application. By the time I get everything set in order, either I'll have just found someone to shadow or just begin to do it. I don't know if this would really make any difference in my application, versus someone who had already shadowed for x amount of hours. Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt. The only bad thing would be if I didn't find anyone till after I submitted the app, and in that case, it wouldn't even be on the app at all. lol. Ah. Nevermind. I'll probably just go about figuring these things one at a time; ie. after the test.

Even if your shadowing experience isn't on your application (not a big deal), it is still worth it to get a letter of recommendation (big deal), which many schools require.