Chances and School Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HumanKindase

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm joining after lurking for a while as an undergrad and while prepping for the MCAT. My path is slightly non-traditional and the disparity between my gpa and MCAT scores makes it difficult to weigh my options. I recently finished two, part-time, non-matriculated semesters after my obtaining my bachelors and my standings are thus:

MCAT score: 519 Undergrad Gpa: 3.30 Science Gpa 3.34
|
Breakdowd: CP= 130 CARS=129 BB=129 PS= 131

There is also a great difference in my performance throughout my career which I hope will be strength. Freshman year gpa was 2.9 while senior year (by itself) was a 3.7 and my extra two semesters after graduating were 4.0. Other factors outside school include:

- traveled to three countries for public health and medical work, the last of which was financed with a job I took on during my senior year.
- 300+ hours as a medical scribe and a volunteer EMT
- One semester of research in my major
- an eboard position leading one of the volunteer trips abroad
- miscellaneous volunteer work with my pre-med fraternity.

With all that being said a few early mistakes and poor grades in some heavily weighed sciences courses like orgo have me uneasy. I'm applying this cycle to MD and DO and I'm about half way through my applications without a definitive school list. I would absolutely love to go to one of my state universities in NY but am open to all suggestions and advice. Thank you everyone for you previous and continued support!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I'm joining after lurking for a while as an undergrad and while prepping for the MCAT. My path is slightly non-traditional and the disparity between my gpa and MCAT scores makes it difficult to weigh my options. I recently finished two, part-time, non-matriculated semesters after my obtaining my bachelors and my standings are thus:

MCAT score: 519 Undergrad Gpa: 3.30 Science Gpa 3.34
|
Breakdowd: CP= 130 CARS=129 BB=129 PS= 131

There is also a great difference in my performance throughout my career which I hope will be strength. Freshman year gpa was 2.9 while senior year (by itself) was a 3.7 and my extra two semesters after graduating were 4.0. Other factors outside school include:

- traveled to three countries for public health and medical work, the last of which was financed with a job I took on during my senior year.
- 300+ hours as a medical scribe and a volunteer EMT
- One semester of research in my major
- an eboard position leading one of the volunteer trips abroad
- miscellaneous volunteer work with my pre-med fraternity.

With all that being said a few early mistakes and poor grades in some heavily weighed sciences courses like orgo have me uneasy. I'm applying this cycle to MD and DO and I'm about half way through my applications without a definitive school list. I would absolutely love to go to one of my state universities in NY but am open to all suggestions and advice. Thank you everyone for you previous and continued support!
I am worried that the volunteer trips overseas will look like medical tourism.

I suggest:
Your state schools
BU
Case
the Philly Triplets
Albany
NYMC
Tufts
U Miami
Loyola
Tulane
Mayo
Pitt
Rosy Franklin
Wake
VCU
Gtown
GWU
EVMS
Any DO school.

Members don't see this ad :)
In addition to @Goro's list you could add:
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Creighton
St. Louis

I am worried that the volunteer trips overseas will look like medical tourism.

I suggest:
Your state schools
BU
Case
the Philly Triplets
Albany
NYMC
Tufts
U Miami
Loyola
Tulane
Mayo
Pitt
Rosy Franklin
Wake
VCU
Gtown
GWU
EVMS
Any DO school.

I agree with your concern and two of the trips would be definitely be see as such since they were through one of the many student volunteer clubs. The third however was privately through a MD friend who allowed us more patient contact such as taking medical history and chief complaints, blood pressures, blood glucose, urine dip sticks etc and allowed us to formulate a differential diagnosis under his supervision. I am not sure how to signify the distinction or whether that would even change admissions view on the matter.