Chances at ENT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenngold

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just finished my third year of med school and am taking a year off to acquire my MPH.

I am wondering what your perspectives are on my chances of matching successfully into ENT? 240 on Step 1, about to take Step 2. My clerkship grades are Honors in OBGYN and Peds, will all else NH (near honors) and 1 P (psych). Seeing as I only received a NH in IM and surgery, I'm sure this may negatively affect my odds. I have 1 ENT case report published, two ENT papers in submission, and I'm writing a first authorship paper right now. I am also involved in a larger ongoing ENT research project with the department. I have presented at 3 conferences with 5 poster presentations. Unsure of AOA status yet. I do love ENT, but I am worried about the outlook of my application seeing as my step score and clerkship grades are average. Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you've done a great job of making connections in your home department, which is the most important thing. In 2016, which was a tougher match than 2017, 38/50 US allopathic applicants with step 1 score between 231 and 240 matched in ENT. So, your step score is fine. I always think that getting some honors, even if not in surgery, shows that you can achieve a high level of performance on your team. Not honoring surgery is not a red flag. Not honoring anything might lead to a question in interviews, but maybe not. Much more important that you have the support of your home department and that you have some interesting projects to talk about on the interview trail. Good luck!