Chances at MSTP programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChemFreak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 34 MCAT which I'm debating on whether or not to retake, a 3.6 science GPA and 3.65 cGPA. I hope to improve my sGPA to a 3.7 which I think is entirely possible. I attend a top 20 undergrad that has a top 10 medschool attached. My biggest extracurricular has been work study in lab. My sophomore year I was just a lab tech but the summer after I started doing real research, presenter a poster, and will be published by the end of junior year. Other than that my EC's have been interning at a clinic doing office work (with patient interaction). I'll get a very good rec from my PI and the grad student I've been working with. I will also have okay recs from two science faculty members.

I think I could get in somewhere but how are my chances at the MSTP programs at schools like WashU, UCSF, Duke, Yale?

Members don't see this ad.

To put it bluntly: not very great.

I think your research experience is excellent, but unfortunately I think your stats will hold you back for the short list you provided. I would definitely try to apply a little broader than that. At this point, your GPA is average (or slightly below average) for an MD acceptance at any place. Your MCAT is below the median for all of the places you mentioned. This is for just regular MD acceptance and I'm sure MSTP will be even higher. What other places do you plan on applying to?

I think we might go to the same school haha! Pm'd you.

What is your particular interest in an MSTP program?
Have you looked at Case-Western's program?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think we might go to the same school haha! Pm'd you.

What is your particular interest in an MSTP program?
Have you looked at Case-Western's program?

WashU? It's so obvious when the OP states "top 20 undergrad" and "top 10 med school."

It seems like you two have somewhat similar stats.

JHU, we do have similar stats but I'm a junior.

Ah yes, forgot about JHU.

Just do your best this year to raise your GPA. I would not retake the MCAT because the risk vs. reward is not great enough. You'll definitely surpass any screens with your MCAT anyway, so they'll most likely take a look at the rest of your application.

Shoot for the stars, but you should definitely apply broadly. I'm not an MD/PhD, but I can help guide you on other schools that may be a good fit for you, if you want.

If you apply broadly and not just to the few schools you listed, you have a good shot. You probably need another research letter from a professor. Your stats are not all that bad.

Last edited:
Oh I'm most definitely applying broadly. I am not so confident that I think I can get away with just applying to those super competitive schools, even if my stats were better. But i got the sense that if you want to be an academic physician it actually matters where you go?

It matters in the sense that it helps to make connections early and you'll put yourself in a better position when applying for residency. But the residency/fellowship programs you go to will be a lot more important than the medical school.