Chances at UQ-Ochsner and other Oz schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
All right then, cool. That is important to know.

Members don't see this ad.

I think ochsner should be personally guaranteeing each of its students a residency place in Ochsner, from anything from internal medicine to the most competitive specialty.
Is there a medical school anywhere in the world that does this??? If so, it must be the most difficult med school in the world to get into! Sign me up.

But it's a specific program designed specifically to take students to Ochsner...so why not protect your financial investments? It's bad business.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no way in hell an Ochsner student now can get Australian internship...

Correct me if I am wrong but are Americans no longer allowed to do the 4 year program?
What bothers me is that it's taking students who should have gotten into US med schools and using them for money. I think ochsner should be personally guaranteeing each of its students a residency place in Ochsner, from anything from internal medicine to the most competitive specialty
Posters like pittman (check him out on the old UQMS forum-the dude is a notorious agitator who will argue anyone who disagrees with him and attempt a pretentious writing style using 12 paragraphs to express what could be said in one sentence) disagree, but they are much more on the side of the university.
qldking, you are the only agitator here.

An Ochsner student who applies to Qld for internship has the same chance as an int'l student applying from UQ in Australia. I have no idea where qldking got the idea that Americans cannot apply to UQ in Australia, when it's a really simple matter for anyone who is curious to go to som.uq.edu.au to find out that this is not the case.

I'm notorious? That's rich. I ran the old UQMS forum and was its moderator, as the developer of the website, UQMS' IT person, and former president of the UQMS. Once again, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, so maybe you should stop until you do.

Last edited:
You notice nobody here posts match results but when I posted results of Ochsner people getting into crappy programs (Wayne State, yo! In beautiful Detroit!) I was bashed by pittman et al. And the guy is so disingenuous to suggest people would go all the way to Australia to "definitely" want mediocre residencies in uncompetitive fields. Everyone knows med students are strivers with big egos and that they only settle for certain residencies because they couldn't get into what they wanted. Bottom line.
I "bashed" you? I refuted your assertion that grads could only get into Family Medicine. Which assertion was shown to be false (you didn't even know what residencies they had gotten), and also assumes that grads *must* have wanted something more than they got. You now pretend to quote me as saying that *I* think grads "definitely" wanted something? Do you recognize that you're projecting? (not to mention slandering, as that is a quote wrongfully attributed to me).

qldking, you are the only agitator here.

An Ochsner student who applies to Qld for internship has the same chance as an int'l student applying from UQ in Australia. I have no idea where qldking got the idea that Americans cannot apply to UQ in Australia, when it's a really simple matter for anyone who is curious to go to som.uq.edu.au to find out that this is not the case.

I'm notorious? That's rich. I ran the old UQMS forum and was its moderator, as the developer of the website, UQMS' IT person, and former president of the UQMS. Once again, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, so maybe you should stop until you do.

I interacted with you many a time on that board.

The ochsner students absolutely do not have the same chance. Contact any internship recruitment officer in QLD and that will be the answer. You don't even want to mention that you took the USMLE just to be safe.

Yes they do, qldking. I actually know many a medical workforce officer. And empirically, Ochsner students have already applied and been offered Qld spots.

Most interestingly, while I have been involved in different capacities representing international students and IMGs in Australia for the past decade, I do wonder why you would make such a strange claim -- as if you yourself called a bunch of med workforce offices across the state to ask them about those other students.

And, um, I never took the USMLE, nor have I ever claimed to have, so any claim from you that I have is a lie. The fact remains, I was the UQMS forums moderator, the webmaster, the developer...so "notorious" in fact that I probably banned you from the site for being a troll.

That's two slanderous remarks about me. Try a third?

Last edited:
Last time I checked its graduates were getting very basic, uncompetitive residencies in the US, all to the tune of a 55k+ tuition yearly. If I were paying that much in tuition to be forced back to the US I would expect the program to be taking in every single one if its students instead of sending them to some ****** Family Medicine residency program (and the like) on the East Coast.

Gee, looky here. Not only were you wrong with respect to last year's Match and uninformed claims of FM for Ochsner grads, but your persistent claims have been shown to be wrong again:

22/24 matched. The rough count was that ~80% matched somewhere in the top 3 with most getting #1 or #2. Everyone who applied for EM got matched (3 total). Couple of surgery prelims. One gen surg categorical. One ortho at Ochsner. 9/24 matched at Ochsner. The second majority was at LSU/Tulane and after that all over (Virginia, Illinois, North Carolina, Oregon off the top of my head).

Unless of course you want to take a stab at slandering nybgrus, too.

Honestly, I would love to just sit down and absolutely lambaste qldking. I've done it before and shown what in insufferable ***** he is. It just isn't worth my time to go through and deconstruct every ill informed, asinine, pejorative, and otherwise trollish comment he has made on this thread. Seriously, we get it man. You are butt hurt because you didn't know what you were getting yourself into, jaded at the experience, and feel stuck being the doctor you don't want to be. It sucks, no doubt. But stop being a ****ing child about it, grow a pair, and do something about it beyond winging your complete buffoonery. At best you're a laughingstock and at worst you are instilling overdramatized and unrealistic fears in people.

One specific point I will mention is your disgustingly idiotic view on specialties. Two of my friends matched into family medicine/primary care track. It was, unequivocally, their specialty of choice. And they both got their #1 rank spot. They are good people, who knew they wanted primary care, and will be better doctors than you will ever be. And you should be ashamed of yourself for trying to claim that certain specialties - like FM - are somehow lesser than other specialties. But I already know you are too stupid and blind to realize that the competitiveness of a specialty is not a reflection of how smart you have to be to get into it nor how much of an impact on society at large it will make.

You are a troll, whether you realize it or not. You are reflecting your own failures onto others, trying to elevate yourself by putting others down, and worst of all making assertion after claim after assertion not only without any evidence to back you up (which I have unequivocally demonstrated in the past with you), but without the ability to actually even logically think through what you are saying.

We've matched well - quite frankly better than I had anticipated myself - and we pretty much all matched at our top choices in our desired fields. Yes, we are IMGs and yes that does mean certain programs won't look at us and others are a much harder sell. But that is literally the only correct factoid out of the mountains of insipid drivel that spew from your fingertips.

Feel free to keep trolling around here. I'd suggest you seek some help in your personal and professional life to relieve yourself of the need to do so (perhaps you should read the recent paper on internet trolls for some insight), but if you don't heed good advice, be prepared to find no quarter around these parts.

Reactions: 1 users
My only aim is to keep people informed rather than blindly handing over money and future to the university machine. It is very nice to hear that you and others matched well.

If your intent is truly to keep people informed, then the best thing you can do is to shut up. Because as this entire thread shows, you have been adamant yet wrong on virtually every point.

I haven't been wrong on anything.

So first off, I would like to tender an apology. I discovered this thread because pittman quoted me in it. I had not read any of it prior to last night and I happened to come across it after a long day, a few cocktails with friends, and just before bed. While I still stand by my general point(s) and unequivocally feel justified in my stance, I do apologize for my lack of professionalism in my post. Someone once said to me, "We are not civil because others are civil, but because we are civil." I am, however, still human and subject to the same lapses in judgment which is reflected in my last post.

You are correct about a few small factoids. Factoids that anyone with half a clue about medical school and how residency works would already know. Beyond that you are adding absolutely nothing of meaning or even remotely worthwhile to the conversation. I have demonstrated in the past how incredibly wrong you have been and how it is beyond clear that you have a structured narrative in your head, created without and despite of evidence, which you continue to ballyhoo ad nauseum. You either cherry pick data to fit your narrative or, as I have demonstrated in the past, completely fabricate data that is actually directly contradicted by actual evidence. You can continue to do so and make a fool of yourself, but you really are wasting your time. And mine and pittman's since we feel an onus to actually help others faced with difficult and confusing decisions in their lives which you only serve to muddy and fear monger.

I know your type. I've dealt with your type many times in the past, both online and IRL. Nothing will get through to you because you are unassailably convinced of your truthiness. Which is why I feel it is a true waste of time to really go through and nitpick every detail you've gotten wrong. You've gotten so much wrong that it would take me an hour and a thesis to go through it all.

One thing I will not stand for, however, is a denigration of specialties and individual's life choices. You can lament your own life choice's - as you should, they obviously led you to be an insufferable troll - but it is beyond the pale to project that onto others you don't even know in order to further your own spiteful agenda. Don't forget where that narrative in your head exists (hint: not in the real world). You demonstrate the thoughtfulness and understanding of a crude caveman, your own cavemen brethren wondering how you can put forth such a paucity of intellectual thought. To each their own. But in this case you have maligned the very happily chosen specialties of people I consider not only friends, but genuinely good people who I believe will make excellent physicians. All because you deign to think so lowly of their chosen field and have the hubris to believe you can make claims about others' motivations.

My only aim is to keep people informed rather than blindly handing over money and future to the university machine. It is very nice to hear that you and others matched well.

Somehow I honestly believe that you believe this. But that's why we have the word "delusion" to describe such situations. One thing I can assure you of is that not only are you demonstrably wrong on many (if not most) of this things you write, but even if you were the way you present it is absolutely not keeping people informed. You are, without a doubt, utterly failing in your claimed goals.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, and let me juxtapose a little something for you:

You are wrong. Americans, like any other international students, can (and currently are) doing the traditional program.

To which you respond:

All right then, cool. That is important to know.

and then:

Do you honestly not see the blatantly obvious contradiction in just 3 tiny sentences on this very page of this thread? Do you not see how you are making a claim because it fits your narrative, very obviously without having done any research on the matter, and being demonstrated wrong immediately? That sort of thing should give you pause. And actually force you to think more carefully and - gasp! - actually look things up before saying them! It is not sufficient to merely spout off something as fact, be corrected, accept the correction, and then still claim you have been wrong on nothing!

If you can't recognize that as the behaviour of a troll... well, then we are stuck with the troll folks. You really need to reframe your understanding and adjust your rhetoric accordingly. Not an easy task, but the right and noble one.

No, my career is just fine.I'm already working in Australia :)

That's great that you have sorted out your American residency but there are plenty of others who are stuck in limbo, like the person from Canada with no residency whatsoever after going through med school.

The only way there will be any changes in the medical school and university system is when people become informed and aware of what it is doing to our generation. You'll see in just a few years who was right when you're making that fixed salary under Obamacare.

@nybgrus thank you very much for the update!!! It is really appreciated since schools take forever to upload and update information. I'm sure there are others like me applying who want this information as soon as possible. I think we pre-med people are an impatient bunch. Congrats again on matching into such a great place.

I'm not even going to address the other topics lol outside my realm of knowledge.

Last edited:
No, my career is just fine.I'm already working in Australia :).

Sure doesn't sound like it.

That's great that you have sorted out your American residency but there are plenty of others who are stuck in limbo, like the person from Canada with no residency whatsoever after going through med school.

What exactly do Canadians have to do with UQ-O? And yeah, nobody said everything was perfect. Last year 300 US grads didn't match and were in limbo. A friend of mine included. But not being perfect is a far cry from the drivel you have been putting out.

The only way there will be any changes in the medical school and university system is when people become informed and aware of what it is doing to our generation. You'll see in just a few years who was right when you're making that fixed salary under Obamacare

You, like most people, are woefully under informed regarding the ACA. The reality is that the move towards fixed salaries and working for hospital systems rather than private practice began looooooong before the ACA. It is a result of the current system combined with the realities of providing high quality, high sophistication, science based medicine to entire populations. It is a common theme across the board that was exacerbated by the particular ideological and capitalistic mores of the US. In a very real way the physicians themselves and the AMA to a large extent created the environment for the current situation beginning as far back as the 60's. You once again demonstrate childishly simplistic ideas regarding the cause of the current medical crisis around the world, not just the US. This is a common pattern of thinking: trying to find a proximate cause, preferably one that is at odds with our already existing politicoideological beliefs, and trying to claim that said cause is both necessary and sufficient to explain the situation and thus removal or reversal would fix it. If only the world were so simple.

But in this case you are beginning to tread on empirical fact and intimating a misapprehension of the reality of the matter. And as you've learned from me in the past, I'm always happy to throw down lots of evidence in the face of your motivated reasoning and peurile blustering. :-D

@nybgrus thank you very much for the update!!! It is really appreciated since schools take forever to upload and update information. I'm sure there are others like me applying who want this information as soon as possible. I think we pre-med people are an impatient bunch. Congrats again on matching into such a great place.

I'm not even going to address the other topics lol outside my realm of knowledge.

My pleasure @foody - I know how it can be exasperating and frightening in your situation. I was once there myself. Hence why I endeavor to provide realistic and evidence based assessments of the situation. Contrary to what one may believe from reading our resident troll, I have always been very up front about the limitations of our program and how many of those are indeed common to all foreign programs. It would be ludicrous to deny that. The high cost of the program is also a reality. I've even flat out stated that if you have a better domestic option (and better could be cheaper as well) that it would be disingenuous of my to recommend UQ-O over that. I cannot make a value judgment for others as to what is worth it. But what I can say, and still believe, is that in terms of foreign options, UQ-O is almost unequivocally the best. But for specific individuals myriad circumstances can make a bottom tier US school more or less desirable, a DO school more or less desirable, or even just the traditional UQ program. I don't pretend to be able to make that value judgment for you.

But from a purely factual standpoint, the reality is so far so good. One area I do agree with troll on is that I do think the program grew a bit too fast. One more year of stasis in the class size would have been better, IMHO. That said, I do not think it is an insurmountable problem or something that in a vacuum would be a deal breaker for me. I think it is reasonable to say that as the notoriety of the program grows, as our graduates interview and match at a broader range of places, and as we become attendings, sit on adcoms, and become program directors there will be a palpable shift. I do not see this program actively replacing US grads in the match, but I do see it horning out other foreign programs. Because lets face it, you will get a far superior education from UQ-O than you will from Ross or St. George. If you want to be worried about being pigeon holed into a specialty or location, those are the programs that will do it for you.

But if you want to compare apples and oranges and assert that UQ-O will never live up to Harvard, then sure you too could be a blustering buffoon.

Sure doesn't sound like it.

What exactly do Canadians have to do with UQ-O? And yeah, nobody said everything was perfect. Last year 300 US grads didn't match and were in limbo. A friend of mine included. But not being perfect is a far cry from the drivel you have been putting out.

You, like most people, are woefully under informed regarding the ACA. The reality is that the move towards fixed salaries and working for hospital systems rather than private practice began looooooong before the ACA. It is a result of the current system combined with the realities of providing high quality, high sophistication, science based medicine to entire populations. It is a common theme across the board that was exacerbated by the particular ideological and capitalistic mores of the US. In a very real way the physicians themselves and the AMA to a large extent created the environment for the current situation beginning as far back as the 60's. You once again demonstrate childishly simplistic ideas regarding the cause of the current medical crisis around the world, not just the US. This is a common pattern of thinking: trying to find a proximate cause, preferably one that is at odds with our already existing politicoideological beliefs, and trying to claim that said cause is both necessary and sufficient to explain the situation and thus removal or reversal would fix it. If only the world were so simple.

But in this case you are beginning to tread on empirical fact and intimating a misapprehension of the reality of the matter. And as you've learned from me in the past, I'm always happy to throw down lots of evidence in the face of your motivated reasoning and peurile blustering. :-D

Haha.

No, it is the result of society being run by corporations and the fact insurance companies don't reimburse, compounded by a supply of doctors now outstripping demand in most cities in the US. And a general paradigm shift towards social liberalism in the US coupled with an economic depression.

It's fine if you want to argue me stats on ochsner but you'd be advised not to get into a theoretical argument with someone who will run circles around you intellectually.

Haha.

No, it is the result of society being run by corporations and the fact insurance companies don't reimburse, compounded by a supply of doctors now outstripping demand in most cities in the US. And a general paradigm shift towards social liberalism in the US.

Wow. All that mountain of data showing a massive physician shortage across the board that is only predicted to get worse must be totally wrong. And clearly it has to do with "social liberalism" whatever that means. I'm sure we can blame it all on teh gays and them wanting to get married.

It's fine if you want to argue me stats on ochsner but you'd be advised not to get into a theoretical argument with someone who will run circles around you intellectually.

Thanks, I needed a good belly laugh. And it has been a while since I've literally laughed out loud at something someone wrote on the internets.

Hey @qldking .... just got confirmation that 3 of my class are currently in internship in Aus.

I seem to have this recollection of you vociferously proclaiming that is simply not possible and just not an option for UQ-O students. Oh, and that would be 3 out of the no worse than 4... because I know for a fact that only 4 people in my class would have applied for Aussie internship. The other who didn't match in US residency are all otherwise accounted for.

Any chance you might want to reconsider your sage thoughts on the UQ-O program? Or do you just want to continue being embarrassed by having nearly every single thing you've said and predicted be handily contradicted? Or perhaps you'd like to shine in a theoretical argument, given your track record in empirical arguments?

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I'm a US citizen and want to apply to schools in Oz. My gpa is a 2.7 and I have a 26O MCAT score. What are my chances? Should I retake the mcat? I know I just meet the minimums barely.

I'm interested in applying to UQ-Ochsner, University of Sydney and MAYBE University of Melbourne (currently finishing anatomy right now).

Really appreciate any responses.

Thank you.

I saw that you were accepted to UQ-O and wanted to see if you had done a SMP or any post-bacc work or if you really got in with a 2.7 uGPA

Also how has it been so far? :)

Hello,

I'm a US citizen and want to apply to schools in Oz. My gpa is a 2.7 and I have a 26O MCAT score. What are my chances? Should I retake the mcat? I know I just meet the minimums barely.

I'm interested in applying to UQ-Ochsner, University of Sydney and MAYBE University of Melbourne (currently finishing anatomy right now).

Really appreciate any responses.

Thank you.
Hi @foody! I have a similar MCAT as you and was wondering how everything worked out for yo. We're you offered an acceptance? Thanks!

Hey,

I'm also applying to UQ-Ochsner and would like some input on my chances. U.S. citizen, 3.53 GPA and 26 MCAT. Hoping to get my application in within the next week or two to increase my chance of acceptance.. Thoughts? I think I'll have a solid app. aside from my MCAT score.
Hi @sonicbloom! I have a similar MCAT as you and I'm applying for Feb 2016. Did things work out for you? Thanks!