Chances for Air Force HPSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasMedic15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy all. I recently received an acceptance from a DO program. With my stats I don't meet the standards for an automatic acceptance. However, my stats are above the minimum requirements and so I am eligible to apply for the four-year program.

I met with my local health professions recruiter this past week and he mentioned to me that my chance of receiving the scholarship is very likely considering how early I am applying. He also mentioned to me though that there are only around 190 four-year scholarships for students in the entire country. I didn't realize how small the number was and so now I'm wondering if I even have a chance or not. Do the spots usually fill up very fast? Do students who meet the automatic acceptance standards get accepted first before they begin to review everybody else' application?

Members don't see this ad.

do you want to be in the military or only in the air force? If you aren't an automatic I would consider starting paperwork with more than one branch. Also.....don't tell them you are doing paperwork with more than one branch

Reactions: 1 user
I would like to be in the military, but I do have a strong preference for the Air Force. All of my friends who have done prior service have mentioned to me that if they were to go back they would pursue Air Force for certain. One of the former marines in my post-bacc program is also looking into the Air Force HPSP as opposed to that of the other branches.

My recruiter was very sincere and honest with me and recommended that I not apply to other branches while I await the results of my paperwork. He said that it would increase my chances, but that it would waste a lot of people's time and efforts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to be in the military, but I do have a strong preference for the Air Force. All of my friends who have done prior service have mentioned to me that if they were to go back they would pursue Air Force for certain. One of the former marines in my post-bacc program is also looking into the Air Force HPSP as opposed to that of the other branches.

My recruiter was very sincere and honest with me and recommended that I not apply to other branches while I await the results of my paperwork. He said that it would increase my chances, but that it would waste a lot of people's time and efforts.
it's a value call, your chances at losing >$50k vs 2 people doing a little extra paperwork.....your decision

You're right. I'll definitely have to take that into consideration. I will consider speaking with health recruiters in the other two branches in the next week or two. Could you explain the "chances at losing >$50k" part?

You're right. I'll definitely have to take that into consideration. I will consider speaking with health recruiters in the other two branches in the next week or two. Could you explain the "chances at losing >$50k" part?
tuition + stipend for 1yr if you don't get the hpsp as an ms1

Ah, of course. I didn't think about that. Would you mind if I ask which branch you are in and why it is that you chose that particular branch? I'm searching all over SDN to find as much information as possible before making any big decisions.

Ah, of course. I didn't think about that. Would you mind if I ask which branch you are in and why it is that you chose that particular branch? I'm searching all over SDN to find as much information as possible before making any big decisions.

Congrats on your acceptance!

Read the stickies in this sub forum. Lots of stories, lots of experiences compiled over the past 10 years. Some good, mostly salt, but all valuable information to learn from. Will it take a lot of time to read them? Yea...but you are also making a really big decision. Start the application since these things take so much time to process and in the meantime start doing your research here.

You aren't obligated to join until you pass your medical screening and take the Oath of Office so you can drop the HPSP application at almost anytime until then.

Congrats on your acceptance!

Read the stickies in this sub forum. Lots of stories, lots of experiences compiled over the past 10 years. Some good, mostly salt, but all valuable information to learn from. Will it take a lot of time to read them? Yea...but you are also making a really big decision. Start the application since these things take so much time to process and in the meantime start doing your research here.

You aren't obligated to join until you pass your medical screening and take the Oath of Office so you can drop the HPSP application at almost anytime until then.

Thank you! Very excited to get the opportunity to start medical school. I'll definitely start checking those threads out for more information. Thanks again!

I'd also like to point out, and not to try to be a downer but simply to try to be up-front, your recruiter is not looking out for your best interests. That's not his job. His job is to recruit you into his specific branch of service. I'm not saying he's a dick. I am saying that he'll bend the truth - either intentionally or out of ignorance - to get you to sign up. I worked with a lot of great recuiters while applying for HPSP, and I even went to about a dozen mettings during medical school (after I had accepted the scholarship) with the local recruiters to talk about HPSP to potentials. While they were all nice guys, then didn't really know the specifics of the HPSP program, nor did they know jack or $#!T about medical school, residency, or being a physician in the military. That lead to some hyperbole, some fabrication, and some simple inaccuracies insofar as what they were telling me regarding the application and the program. Of course, I didn't know that until I was essentially done with my residency.

The point is: look out for yourself. Its fine to talk to your recruiter, but don't take his word as gospel. Treat him no differently than you would a very nice used car salesman.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd also like to point out, and not to try to be a downer but simply to try to be up-front, your recruiter is not looking out for your best interests. That's not his job. His job is to recruit you into his specific branch of service. I'm not saying he's a dick. I am saying that he'll bend the truth - either intentionally or out of ignorance - to get you to sign up. I worked with a lot of great recuiters while applying for HPSP, and I even went to about a dozen mettings during medical school (after I had accepted the scholarship) with the local recruiters to talk about HPSP to potentials. While they were all nice guys, then didn't really know the specifics of the HPSP program, nor did they know jack or $#!T about medical school, residency, or being a physician in the military. That lead to some hyperbole, some fabrication, and some simple inaccuracies insofar as what they were telling me regarding the application and the program. Of course, I didn't know that until I was essentially done with my residency.

The point is: look out for yourself. Its fine to talk to your recruiter, but don't take his word as gospel. Treat him no differently than you would a very nice used car salesman.

Downer, or no-downer, you're just being honest and I really appreciate that. I will definitely keep your advice in mind when speaking with recruiters from the other two branches. Trying to look for accurate information anywhere regarding this scholarship has been really time-consuming and difficult, but I've learned to take in everything with a grain of salt. I'll definitely look into applying for the other two branches though so increase my chances. Thanks!

I don't know your specialty or your timetables for your specialty in HPSP but what I DO know is that the earlier the better. DONT wait, get going on your paperwork. The military likes the "hurry up and wait" method, for me it was "wait, now hurry up" with HPSP. So....If you are applying for next years awards, get on your paperwork asap and get to the MEPS asap so at least you know you qualify medically. Once you are swallowed up by your coursework, you wont have the emotional energy on anything extra like the application, contacting your references for letters, chasing down those transcripts, and getting up at 5 am for a MEPS exam. So get that stuff done now so that you can have breathing room. Your recruiter should have a checklist of all the items he needs from your application to the last transcript. Use that checklist to hammer away 1-3 items a week if your deadlines are further away. HPSP process is lengthy and can have hiccups (my recruiter "lost" my fingerprints 3 times!). So give yourself room for those hiccups that may and will come up. Don't leave anything to last minute. Have all your pieces of application packet in by 2 months before deadline.

And lastly, get your recruiter to put you in touch with current HPSP recipients and former HPSPS recipients who are practicing in the field (in your specialty) and hammer them on questions about what life is really like as the Dr. in the branch. Ask the hard questions (what's good, what isn't, why did you join, would you do it over again, what would you differently). Recruiters only know what they know. They don't know what they don't know and they certainly cant help you know what they don't know. So find someone who is 5 years ahead of you and get the scoop on what the process is really like.

By the way, your MEPS is good for 2 years, and you only need to go 1 x and use the report/results for both branches you are applying.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm scheduled for MEPS this Friday, but I'm having to leap through hurdles because I won't have my SS (replacement) card coming in until next week. Hopefully I'm able to get that done on schedule though so I won't have to worry about it later like you said. I've completed all of my paperwork so far as I can tell. I finished filling out all the forms that were presented to me and gave them to my recruiter. He said the deadline to have everything completed and actually "submitted" was September 25th (next Friday). Unfortunately, this week happened to be the week that he's on vacation which is making it difficult to assure that everything will be complete on time. Would you happen to know by any chance if the other branches have the same deadlines for submission? I've been swamped in exams this week so there's been no breathing room to talk to recruiters in the other branches lately.

I've got a couple of questions in regards to applying to multiple branches and I was wondering if anybody could provide me with any accurate answers.

1) Did anybody use the letters of rec that they used for medical school and were still accepted the four-year HPSP? My recruiter told me that because the letters spoke about why I should be accepted as a student to medical school, they would not be applicable for use towards HPSP. I also only have one week to gather three new letters speaking about how I would be a great fit for military medicine.

2) When applying to multiple branches, how do you use letters written for one branch to be used towards another? I'm trying to collect new letters right now from professors in my post-bacc program for the Air Force HPSP, but I will also be applying for the Army HPSP. How does this work?

3) Just finished MEPS (what a waste of time) and was told that I was fully qualified. They gave me a copy of the paperwork to be given to my Air Force recruiter. If I am applying to the Army HPSP as well, should I make a copy of this paperwork and pass it along to the Army recruiter that was assigned to me?

1) new letters

2) have then say "military" instead of name the brach when wrting the letter

all my army and marine buddies from high school keep telling me to join the AF if i'm considering HPSP. this old navy vet told me there's a joke in the military. it goes...

whenever the air force sets up a new base, the first thing they do is make the officers' club building. the second thing is make an officers' golf course

Hahaha, I've definitely heard that one before. It's so true though!

I've got a couple of questions in regards to applying to multiple branches and I was wondering if anybody could provide me with any accurate answers.

1) Did anybody use the letters of rec that they used for medical school and were still accepted the four-year HPSP? My recruiter told me that because the letters spoke about why I should be accepted as a student to medical school, they would not be applicable for use towards HPSP. I also only have one week to gather three new letters speaking about how I would be a great fit for military medicine.

2) When applying to multiple branches, how do you use letters written for one branch to be used towards another? I'm trying to collect new letters right now from professors in my post-bacc program for the Air Force HPSP, but I will also be applying for the Army HPSP. How does this work?

3) Just finished MEPS (what a waste of time) and was told that I was fully qualified. They gave me a copy of the paperwork to be given to my Air Force recruiter. If I am applying to the Army HPSP as well, should I make a copy of this paperwork and pass it along to the Army recruiter that was assigned to me?
1. You can ask your previous references to write similar letters again just addressing why you would be a good clinician in the branch and as an officer. Be sure to address the branches core values in the letters and how you exemplify them.

2. Although not advisable, you can apply to two branches simultaneously. Just have your references write one letter to Air Force and one to the other branch. Maybe offer to review them to ensure they don't get mixed up ( you wouldn't want your Air Force recruiter getting a letter stating why you'd be a great "army" officer). Help your references with this, maybe by sending them word docs already addressing the different recruiters and outline w what values you want discussed in that branch.

3. If applying to second branch, tell your less preferred branch " I've already done meps for AF, can you get those results?" So that you don't have to do meps again.

Pm me if you have further questions.

Howdy all. I recently received an acceptance from a DO program. With my stats I don't meet the standards for an automatic acceptance. However, my stats are above the minimum requirements and so I am eligible to apply for the four-year program.

I met with my local health professions recruiter this past week and he mentioned to me that my chance of receiving the scholarship is very likely considering how early I am applying. He also mentioned to me though that there are only around 190 four-year scholarships for students in the entire country. I didn't realize how small the number was and so now I'm wondering if I even have a chance or not. Do the spots usually fill up very fast? Do students who meet the automatic acceptance standards get accepted first before they begin to review everybody else' application?
What are the standards for automatic acceptance? My wife and I are considering the Air Force route. I already have a DO acceptance and feel good about my odds with an MD acceptance (2 interviews at IS schools and one private school). I have a 3.97c GPA and scored a 507 on the MCAT.

What are the standards for automatic acceptance? My wife and I are considering the Air Force route. I already have a DO acceptance and feel good about my odds with an MD acceptance (2 interviews at IS schools and one private school). I have a 3.97c GPA and scored a 507 on the MCAT.

I think it was something like a 3.6 and a 30 on the old MCAT. Not sure what it is on the MCAT2015. Unless someone else on here knows the numbers for sure, I'd contact your local HPSP recruiter to find out. Congrats on the acceptance btw! Hope you hear good news back from your top choice!

AF HPSP recruiter told me there is >90% acceptance rate.

im assuming thats what he meant. Idk what else he couldve meant
Huh... I guess so. I have just heard that it's super competitive and to get things in motion fast before they are all awarded. I won't complain though.

I've heard different things from everybody so I'm not really sure who to trust. My recruiter told me that there are 192 slots for the Air Force HPSP. Even though I don't have the strongest stats, he told me that he thought I had a pretty good chance at getting it. So sure that he was willing to bet his next paycheck on it. He mentioned how the Air Force barely filled their scholarships last year, which has me confused because I've also heard that this was the most competitive branch to get in with. I was told by another recruiter in a previous year that he very rarely sees anyone get turned down for the Air Force HPSP.

Take all this with a grain of salt because I'm not sure how much of it is true. I'd definitely recommend applying for it sooner than later though. If you get accepted, you can still turn down the scholarship.

HPSP for medical school is not competitive. I hear the same thing from my Army recruiter. There were slots going unfilled last year.

What did the MEPS all consist of when you went? Also, have you found out anything about if the PT test involved for acceptance? Thanks!

MEPS was really long and pointless. You arrive at the processing station at 6am and get your papers checked. You put all of your belongings into a locker and then proceed to the medical evaluation area where you get your hearing and vision tested. You get your blood pressure and pulse checked as well.

After those things they'll put you into a room with everybody else and ask you all these questions about your medical history and yada yada. They'll try to scare you into admitting all of these minor little injuries and sicknesses that you've had in the past, but ignore those scare tactics. Again, all of this is very long and drawn out.

When you finish this you'll get your blood drawn and you'll pee in a cup. The second to last thing you do is you meet a physician one on one for your physical. It's the standard physical. You get asked about your medical history once again and then they do the test for testicular cancer.

After your physical you'll go into a room with about 9 or 10 other guys. You'll strip off everything you have on except for your underwear and they'll make you go through all of these little exercises to make sure your range of motion is ok. You'll stand on your heels, walk across the room and back several times in weird positions, etc. Oh, and they'll check your height and weight too; unless you're overweight or extraordinarily skinny, you'll be ok. If you don't meet the requirements then they'll do some weird measuring stuff to try and get you to pass.

As far as the PT test goes, I can't remember the details about what the recruiter told me but it was pretty simple. If you're even semi-athletic, which most people probably should be if they're considering going into the military, then you'll be fine. Really nothing terrible at all. They don't have very high standards for us since we'll be commissioning as medical officers and not coming in as enlisted.

Edit: missed a word

Last edited:
MEPS was really long and pointless. You arrive at the processing station at 6am and get your papers checked. You put all of your belongings into a locker and then proceed to the medical evaluation area where you get your hearing and vision tested. You get your blood pressure and pulse checked as well.

After those things they'll put you into a room with everybody else and ask you all these questions about your medical history and yada yada. They'll try to scare you into admitting all of these minor little injuries and sicknesses that you've had in the past, but ignore those scare tactics. Again, all of this is very long and drawn out.

When you finish this you'll get your blood drawn and you'll pee in a cup. The second to last thing you do is you meet a physician one on one for your physical. It's the standard physical. You get asked about your medical history once again and then they do the test for testicular cancer.

After your physical you'll go into a room with about 9 or 10 other guys. You'll strip off everything you have on except for your underwear and they'll make you go through all of these little exercises to make sure your range of motion is ok. You'll stand on your heels, walk across the room and back several times in weird positions, etc. Oh, and they'll check your height and weight too; unless you're overweight or extraordinarily skinny, you'll be ok. If you don't meet the requirements then they'll do some weird measuring stuff to try and get you to pass.

As far as the PT test goes, I can't remember the details about what the recruiter told me but it was pretty simple. If you're even semi-athletic, which most people probably should be if they're considering going into the military, then you'll be fine. Really nothing terrible at all. They have very high standards for us since we'll be commissioning as medical officers and not coming in as enlisted.
Sweet thanks for the info. I just reached out to a recruiter this morning to get my application started. Good luck to you

You do not need to pass a PT test for HPSP. You do need to meet the standards the first week of your residency.

They have very high standards for us since we'll be commissioning as medical officers and not coming in as enlisted.

I'm just going to chuckle at this statement. The reality is that they have low expectations for people commissioning as medical officers bc most of the med students are unathletic nerds.

Reactions: 3 users
I mean't to say "don't have high standards" lol. Missed a word... :/

What did the MEPS all consist of when you went? Also, have you found out anything about if the PT test involved for acceptance? Thanks!

Bring reading or study material like flashcards so that you make some use of the 5 mjns here irnthere as you wait. You should be done by earkybafternoin like 1 or 2 pm. There isn't a PT test. I hear that's at OCS (officer candidate school equivalent).

As far as the PT test goes, I can't remember the details about what the recruiter told me but it was pretty simple. If you're even semi-athletic, which most people probably should be if they're considering going into the military, then you'll be fine. Really nothing terrible at all. They don't have very high standards for us since we'll be commissioning as medical officers and not coming in as enlisted.

Edit: missed a word
Isn't there a rectal exam in there? I ask because of a story: I went to VMI, class of 1992. One of my classmates was getting commissioned as a line officer in the AF, and he talked about the physical. This fellow was an all-American, blonde haired, blue eyed, good religious boy from Minnesota, and he said that there were two doctors there: there was a crusty old guy from The Citadel, and a nice looking woman. He said that "I got the woman, and she stuck a finger in my butt."

Isn't there a rectal exam in there? I ask because of a story: I went to VMI, class of 1992. One of my classmates was getting commissioned as a line officer in the AF, and he talked about the physical. This fellow was an all-American, blonde haired, blue eyed, good religious boy from Minnesota, and he said that there were two doctors there: there was a crusty old guy from The Citadel, and a nice looking woman. He said that "I got the woman, and she stuck a finger in my butt."
what if the rectal exam wasnt actually a part of the exam and he just got a finger in his butt lmao

No rectal exam where they stick anything in your butt haha, but they do ask you to bend over so they can take a look at your junk.

what are the requirements for automatic acceptance?

what are the requirements for automatic acceptance?
3.5 and either a 30 on the old MCAT or 505 with new MCAT. Also no less than a 8 or a 123 on any subsection.

Last edited:
3.5 and either a 30 on the old MCAT or 505 with new MCAT. Also no less than a 8 or a 123 on any subsection.
Is this an unspoken rule or is there an actual document saying that these qualify one for an automatic acceptance?

Is this an unspoken rule or is there an actual document saying that these qualify one for an automatic acceptance?

It is not an unspoken rule. Speak with any recruiter and they'll tell you the same numbers for being an automatic select for the Air Force. Other branches have different qualifications for being an automatic select.

It is not an unspoken rule. Speak with any recruiter and they'll tell you the same numbers for being an automatic select for the Air Force. Other branches have different qualifications for being an automatic select.
I currently have a 3.6 and 501 MCAT, but am planning on taking it again in May in hopes of getting the 505 so I can get an automatic acceptance. If I don't get the 505, will I still be competitive enough to get a scholarship? Thank you.

I currently have a 3.6 and 501 MCAT, but am planning on taking it again in May in hopes of getting the 505 so I can get an automatic acceptance. If I don't get the 505, will I still be competitive enough to get a scholarship? Thank you.
If you look at an earlier post someone said some years the scholarships go unfilled so I'm pretty sure it's not too competitive to receive as long as you have an MD/DO acceptance and have the minimum requirements of a 3.2 and either a 25 or 494 on the MCAT

If you look at an earlier post someone said some years the scholarships go unfilled so I'm pretty sure it's not too competitive to receive as long as you have an MD/DO acceptance and have the minimum requirements of a 3.2 and either a 25 or 494 on the MCAT
just talked to a recruiter and he said it's about a 93-94% selection rate. he even asked why I was taking the MCAT again... hopefully it's not just to get my hopes up.

I am also applying for the Air Force HPSP. My recruiter said that I would definitely get it, but I am still not so convinced. I am wondering how many scholarships are left. I hope all of these recruiters are serious about the 90-94% acceptance rate!