Chances for Army OMFS with low GPA but ok CBSE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigdog88

Reaction score
I'm an HPSP student and have taken the CBSE already and am thinking about applying to OMFS in the Army, but I'm unsure how my chances are. I need your advice because I'm considering applying to civilian residencies after I finish my service obligation instead because my CBSE is pretty decent and I've heard civilian residencies weigh that a lot (also heard that some residencies will give preference to veterans, but not 100% sure about it), and I don't know much about how the Army selects its candidates.

My GPA is a 3.25 (yikes) since when I entered dental school I didn't really know what I wanted to do, so I had the mindset of if I just pass I'll be a dentist anyway, but then as I learned more about OS, I became very interested. I have a CBSE of 77 on the old scale.

Assuming that the rest of my application is pretty average since I'm not president of any big organizations and I haven't done research while in school, do you think I have a good shot in either at either Army or civilian OMFS?

Members don't see this ad.

Army cares a lot more about CBSE than class rank. Your stats are competitive for the military, for civilian class rank is not great but CBSE is good. Some civ programs care about research but the Army doesn’t really. They like leadership stuff but not required. Second to a good CBSE score is a strong externship at a military program during D3 or early D4.

Civilian is largely indifferent to the military but it’ll probably be viewed in a negative light if you haven’t done anything academic in years - AEGD will count for a little but you’ll have a gap of years until residency and you can’t do a noncat internship while active. It’s not common to go straight from the military into a civ residency, probably will have to to a noncat year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the year, last year ppl got recruited to apply since there weren’t enough applicants and ppl got in without submitting a cbse

What is the reason for this?
I’m going to guess a few reasons
1. Some HPSP students are wanting to to do as little as possible, serve their 4 years, and leave
2. Some don’t want to do 1 year snowbird, 4 residency, and then serve 4 years, spending 9 years total within the Army
3. Out of all the Army HPSP students, how many want to do OMS?
4. The Army does not allow enough moonlighting or enough compensation to incentivize OMS to remain in the military

Reactions: 1 user