Chances for DO application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yovo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently applied to PA school for 2018 and unfortunately wasn't accepted (I only applied to one school. I know, I know.) I've put DO school back on my mind as an option for 2019, but since I haven't been in the mindset for some time, I wanted to vet my chances of acceptance here. I have my CASPA certified GPA, which from my understanding is the same as AACOMAS. Any advice you have to strengthen my chances would be greatly appreciated; on the same token, any programs you think I may be a strong candidate for would be appreciated. I will also note that I have yet to take the MCAT; I will be taking that this upcoming March. I have all pre-req's fulfilled for most schools, but I do not have Biochem.
CGPA: 3.49
Sci. GPA: 3.22
Shadowing: 12 hours (I know this greatly needs to be bolstered; I wasn't shadowing as much after I started perusing the PA route)
Research: 800 hours (worked in Emergency Medicine department for 2 years as an RA)
Patient Care: 3000 hours working as a Clinical Research Coordinator (currently working, so more hours will be accrued before applying), 800 hours working as an MA in a Fam Med clinic, 312 hours as a volunteer in hospice care. (4112 hours total)
Health Care Experience (non patient interaction): 1764 hours as a Central (or Sterile) Processing Technician, 260 hours as an Anesthesia Tech, 315 as an intern for PartneraHealth, 228 as a medical writer. (2567 hours total)
Volunteer: 180 hours living on campus as an ambassador for the campus service center, 675 as a volunteer and leader at an English Skills Learning Center, 7280 hours as a religious missionary in West Africa-- lived there for two years, performed community service on going. I know it's not "health care" related, but it was "service."-- (8135 hours)

Thanks in advance for looking at my stats. Any and all advice is welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

If you score at least 500 on the MCAT you will be competitive for some DO schools. 508 or higher and you are competitive for all DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
If you score at least 500 on the MCAT you will be competitive for some DO schools. 508 or higher and you are competitive for all DO schools.
Thanks! That works for me. I'll just study my butt off for the MCAT.

If at all possible, which are the schools that I would need to get the 508+?

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI -many people on here say you need Biochem before you take the MCAT. Not sure if that’s true but you should check it out.