Chances for FM? Should I do both matches as well?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FLdoc2be

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, M4 DO student here.... my stats are: no USMLE, 479 COMLEX Level 1 and 440 COMLEX Level 2 on first attempt.

my question is if I should do AOA or ACGME match (and if so how many in each)... basically my q's are:

1. can i rank my top 2-3 programs in the AOA/NMS match and the remaining 12-13 in the ACGME/NRMP match if I don't match AOA?

2. if i don't match in my top 2-3 that i put in AOA, can i still rank those same programs in the ACGME match (since they are participating in both) ??

3. given my below average scores, is it wise for me to only rank my top 2-3 programs in AOA match and then use ACGME (if i don't match AOA) to rank ~12 (or all 15 assuming i can rank the ones I put on AOA again) or would you recommend adding more programs to my AOA rank list?

Thank you for any input!!

Members don't see this ad.

Your scores are plenty fine for the acgme match. Only rank aoa if you want those more

thanks for the input...any thoughts on my second question? if I don't match into the top 2 i ranked AOA.... can i then still rank them in ACGME? (they are doing both matches)

thanks for the input...any thoughts on my second question? if I don't match into the top 2 i ranked AOA.... can i then still rank them in ACGME? (they are doing both matches)
Yes. If you don't match them in AOA, it's unlikely you'll match them ACGME. But you can certainly do so if you wish.

Reactions: 2 users
#1)No harm ranking aoa if you like the programs enough but your scores are ok for md match too, if you aren't terrible at interviewing. Do not rank programs you will be unhappy at out of nerves, i would rather chance acgme at that point.

#2)my program does both aoa and acgme match, and we only ranks candidates for 1 or the other. If you rank someone for acgme and you're not on their rank list, you won't match there. we elicit from candidates if they are doing aoa or acgme and rank accordingly. YMMV at other programs.

#3) see #1

#1)No harm ranking aoa if you like the programs enough but your scores are ok for md match too, if you aren't terrible at interviewing. Do not rank programs you will be unhappy at out of nerves, i would rather chance acgme at that point.

#2)my program does both aoa and acgme match, and we only ranks candidates for 1 or the other. If you rank someone for acgme and you're not on their rank list, you won't match there. we elicit from candidates if they are doing aoa or acgme and rank accordingly. YMMV at other programs.

#3) see #1

If programs didn’t elicit which match we were doing, should we email the coordinator and let them know which match we will be ranking them in?

If programs didn’t elicit which match we were doing, should we email the coordinator and let them know which match we will be ranking them in?

Programs can see which match you applied through via the application, it's probably unnecessary, my program asks because we don't have seperate interview streams for aoa and acgme and it's just easier book keeping for coordinator. Wouldn't stress about it as a candidate.

Programs can see which match you applied through via the application, it's probably unnecessary, my program asks because we don't have seperate interview streams for aoa and acgme and it's just easier book keeping for coordinator. Wouldn't stress about it as a candidate.
What if I applied through the AOA side on eras then decided later I want to rank them on the acgme side? Then do you think I should email them and let them know? Just hate to not match because of miscommunication lol

What if I applied through the AOA side on eras then decided later I want to rank them on the acgme side? Then do you think I should email them and let them know? Just hate to not match because of miscommunication lol
Had this exact same question too, thanks for asking.

Should I contact those other 12-13 programs (the ones that aren’t my top 2 that I will rank in AOA) and let them know that I’ll be doing ACGME?

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn't hurt.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't run a dual program, so any advice I have is purely a guess.

My advice would be to tell programs what you plan to do. Else, they might see that you don't match in their AOA match, and decide that you were not interested. So I would tell them that you plan to rank them in the NRMP match. As for the programs that are both AOA and NRMP, I'd rank them in both, and tell the programs that you plan to rank them in both.

I don't run a dual program, so any advice I have is purely a guess.

My advice would be to tell programs what you plan to do. Else, they might see that you don't match in their AOA match, and decide that you were not interested. So I would tell them that you plan to rank them in the NRMP match. As for the programs that are both AOA and NRMP, I'd rank them in both, and tell the programs that you plan to rank them in both.
The corollary to this, since some dual programs apparently only rank people in one match or the other, is that, if this is the case for the programs you rank in NMS, putting them on your NRMP ROL also will not in any way affect you negatively.

On a different note does anybody have a list of programs by state that went unfilled (and therefore had SOAP/scramble spots remaining) in the AOA or ACGME match for the 2018 match last year? or know where I could access such a list?

Thanks!!

On a different note does anybody have a list of programs by state that went unfilled (and therefore had SOAP/scramble spots remaining) in the AOA or ACGME match for the 2018 match last year? or know where I could access such a list?

Thanks!!
You can look up the Match Stats from last year to see what places didn't fill. Doesn't mean they were in the SOAP though. It's also kind of irrelevant to you this year.

Reactions: 1 user