Chances for PA School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovepita

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. For a while I wanted to be a DO but I shadowed some PAs last summer and I think this would be a better fit.

Got a 2.56 sGPA, 3.0 cGPA, 3.7 non-science GPA. Had a rough couple years because I struggled with many issues and I ended up having to retake organic chemistry like 3 times as well as physics twice and it really messed up my GPA.

I have a PA pre-req GPA hovering around a 3.3ish.

Here are my grades:
Bio 1+lab = B
Anatomy + lab = A
Human Physiology (had to retake 2 times and my prof was horrendous, class average was a D) = C, C-
Microbio = A
Chem 1 = B-
Chem 2 = B-
Orgo 1 = B+
Orgo 1 lab = A-
Biochem = C+
Stats = B+
Medical terminology = A

I plan on retaking about 15 credits this semester to bump up my science GPA and pre-req GPA but I feel kind of hopeless :( I plan on retaking biochem and physiology along with some other bio classes. Will I be able to get into any schools even if I don't have a 3.0 science GPA minimum?

I've published a paper in a journal. Was vice president of an organization. Volunteered at a hospital as well as maternity center over the course of 3 years. And I'm spending the next year as a medical assistant at a derm office.

What should I do to improve my odds?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! If you’re curious about your chances for PA school, then it might be in your best interest to post your inquiry in a Pre-PA forum. This is Pre-MD. Nonetheless, best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I do not know much about PA school so I am not gonna pretend like I know much, but my sister is currently in PA school so I will talk about what I know from her. What I learned was that they heavily weigh patient experience hours! My best recommendation is to find paid patient care experience but I see you mentioned MA so that is great. My sister was an MA and she told me that most PA schools actually require a paid patient care experience so you are on the right track there! I think they require some 500-1000 hours or something like that. If you can find some other patient volunteer hours like volunteering at free clinics and stuff I think that would be helpful. I think if you can get that science GPA up it would help and also work on getting a letter from a doctor and also important is to get a letter from a PA as well that is what my sister did. I believe they require the GRE exam so I do not know how heavily weighed that is but if you get a good score i'm sure it will be another plus.