Chances for this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myPrecious!!!

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all

I graduated last semester and using the time I have left before June to improve some aspects of my application. I want to know my chances of getting in this cycle mainly at MD schools (but I am open to DO schools).

I am South Asian (ORM) and CA resident with ties to FL (graduated high school there)
Undergrad institution: Berkeley had a couple dean's honors and honor's list.

Stats
MCAT 514(129, 126, 130, 129)
cGPA 3.77 sGPA 3.77

Research
1 semester with Pol Sci/Pub Health and it was just an apprenticeship.
No publications, presentations or summer internships.

Work / Leadership
I worked for about 3 years (10-15 hr/week) as Web assistant and was responsible for most web communications and design/maintenance. Streamlined many processes that they use and I even trained others in what I do.

Clinical Experience
I started volunteering at a hospice last October and plan on continuing there until I get into med school. So far I have completed 15 hours (1-2 hr/week) and on track to finish 36 more hours (2 hr/week) before June.

I have also been accepted at Scribe America and currently getting my pre-employment paperwork done. I plan on working with them until I get into med school as well and would probably get about 250-300 hours before June.

Non-clinical Volunteering
I have volunteered at a community church school for 40 hours before and plan on volunteering at a different community school for 40 more hours (I have moved since then).

Shadowing
7 hours with Primary care
plan on shadowing more physicians at different specialties (have talked with some already)

Other

I immigrated to the U.S, and I feel that it had a significant impact on my life and I will be talking about it in my Personal Statement (is this inadvisable?)

I really appreciate any help!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that you have enough of both volunteer and clinical experience hours to apply this year and suggest a gap year.

Hello all

I graduated last semester and using the time I have left before June to improve some aspects of my application. I want to know my chances of getting in this cycle mainly at MD schools (but I am open to DO schools).

I am South Asian (ORM) and CA resident with ties to FL (graduated high school there)
Undergrad institution: Berkeley had a couple dean's honors and honor's list.

Stats
MCAT 514(129, 126, 130, 129)
cGPA 3.77 sGPA 3.77

Research
1 semester with Pol Sci/Pub Health and it was just an apprenticeship.
No publications, presentations or summer internships.

Work / Leadership
I worked for about 3 years (10-15 hr/week) as Web assistant and was responsible for most web communications and design/maintenance. Streamlined many processes that they use and I even trained others in what I do.

Clinical Experience
I started volunteering at a hospice last October and plan on continuing there until I get into med school. So far I have completed 15 hours (1-2 hr/week) and on track to finish 36 more hours (2 hr/week) before June.

I have also been accepted at Scribe America and currently getting my pre-employment paperwork done. I plan on working with them until I get into med school as well and would probably get about 250-300 hours before June.

Non-clinical Volunteering
I have volunteered at a community church school for 40 hours before and plan on volunteering at a different community school for 40 more hours (I have moved since then).

Shadowing
7 hours with Primary care
plan on shadowing more physicians at different specialties (have talked with some already)

Other

I immigrated to the U.S, and I feel that it had a significant impact on my life and I will be talking about it in my Personal Statement (is this inadvisable?)

I really appreciate any help!

Reactions: 1 user
You need to increase your shadowing hours to 50 hours. More clinical volunteering hours would also help. I suggest these schools with your stats:
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Loma Linda
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
NOVA MD
any new schools that open for 2019 (Kaiser, Roseman, Seton Hall)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You need to increase your shadowing hours to 50 hours. More clinical volunteering hours would also help. I suggest these schools with your stats:
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Loma Linda
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
NOVA MD
any new schools that open for 2019 (Kaiser, Roseman, Seton Hall)

Thanks again for this. I have another question

Do you think my chances will be high for these schools and other schools like Einstein, UCLA, UCSD, UF, Miami, and Mayo if I sit this cycle and apply next cycle (June 2019) given that I continue shadowing and other volunteering + Scribe work? Or do you think I have a decent shot at it this cycle (June 2018)?

For the schools I listed you can apply this cycle with additional shadowing and clinical volunteering hours. The other schools you listed are very competitive even with additional shadowing, clinical volunteering scribing.

For the schools I listed you can apply this cycle with additional shadowing and clinical volunteering hours. The other schools you listed are very competitive even with additional shadowing, clinical volunteering scribing.

I see, but can I apply to them this cycle as reach schools or do you think they are far above reach to me?