Chances? Getting a lot of neg feedback...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaximusD

Anatomically Incorrect
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's the deal..

32Q MCAT

VR: 13 BS: 9 PS: 10

Cum GPA (school-calc): 3.23
Science (appr): 2.95

Patient-floor volunteer, shadowing, peer mentor, camp counselor for YMCA...etc.

What do u guys think? Thanks...sorry that I put this up but i tried to keep it short.

Best of luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

drmax said:
So here's the deal..

32Q MCAT

What do u guys think? Thanks...sorry that I put this up but i tried to keep it short.

You will be fine. I had a 30 and the same gpa and i got into both schools I applied to.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are getting a negative fedback because you are asking a stupid question! I have a 24Q now that would be worthy of a "what are my chances thread". You have a 32Q, so stop asking dumb questions and belittling everyone else. I refuse to answer your question! Not trying to be mean I just hate when people are like "I have an awesome MCAT, will I get in?"

Nice MCAT though.

Soccer885 said:
You are getting a negative fedback because you are asking a stupid question! I have a 24Q now that would be worthy of a "what are my chances thread". You have a 32Q, so stop asking dumb questions and belittling everyone else. I refuse to answer your question! Not trying to be mean I just hate when people are like "I have an awesome MCAT, will I get in?"

Nice MCAT though.
Easy there. Some people have been told that MCAT can NOT offset GPA deficiencies. I'm guessing this might be one of them.

OP - you have a good chance applying broadly. You might want to retake some of your classes (science) if you don't get in this year (or even while you apply)

I think you're fine for DO schools, and you have a chance at MD schools too...I wouldn't worry at all, just apply to a bunch of schools.

JasonUD said:
I think you're fine for DO schools, and you have a chance at MD schools too...I wouldn't worry at all, just apply to a bunch of schools.

I applied to 19 MD and 9 DO... i am just worried bc of the low sci gpa.

I am sorry. I didn't mean to upset anyone... it wasn't the MCAT that i was worried about. It was not my intention to be snobbish or arrogant. I apologize if this was the unwanted result.

The premed advisors at PSU are really negative.. i have two C+'s on my record... one in intro chem and the other in electrophysics...

the rest of my sci gpa is made up of B's. There are only a few A's or A-'s.

Thanks for the input guys... this is really nerve-wracking.

Here are the schools to which I have designated AMCAS and AACOMAS:

MD:
Albany Medical College
Drexel University College of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Jefferson Medical Coll. of Thomas Jefferson Univ.
Michigan State University
New York Medical College
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Temple University School of Medicine
The University of Toledo College of Medicine
The University of Vermont College of Medicine
UMDNJ- Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School
University of Maryland School of Medicine
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
West Virginia University School of Medicine

DO:

Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey School of Osteopathic
Medicine
New York College of Osteopathic Medicine of New York Institute of Technology

Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medici

any comments/suggestions?

Don't worry with you stats you will for sure get some interview invites...and then everything is in your hands...or should i say mouth ;)
Good luck and head up. You will get in somewhere for sure, just be patient and return your secondaries as fast as possible :luck:

how does someone with an mcat of 32 have a gpa lower than 3.5?????

jus wondering

Shouldn't have a problem getting in somewhere with a 32 MCAT. I wouldn't worry.

Members don't see this ad :)
drwannabe44 said:

jus wondering

bad semester/year? i have a 3.2 gpa with a 30 mcat. bad freshman year, but studied my butt off for the mcat.

drwannabe44 said:

jus wondering
having a though major...and i do not mean bio or anything like that but just the time consuming/subjective one like english/creative writing or architecture for instance.

But i think that MCAT is everybody's second chance and the OP seems to have taken use of it...so i think he should have no problem getting in if he plays his cards right during the interviews

drwannabe44 said:

jus wondering

it all depends on the type of major you have and where you went to undergrad... everything is relative...

drwannabe44 said:

jus wondering

The same way people with 19's somehow have 3.75+

I think those numbers should get you some interviews as long as your essays show some personality; it is up to you from there.
Good luck

Buckeye(OH) said:
The same way people with 19's somehow have 3.75+

jus wondering cuz people are always giving my a hard time..because i have a low mcat but a high gpa

I think you have a good chance of getting in somewhere, especially since you got your application in early. I'm scoring around 32 on my aamc tests, but you never know how the test is really going to go and have a 3.1 GPA. I'm fairly optimistic and i'm turning in my application in October :( . As for having a 30+ mcat and a low GPA, motivation may play a role. I wasn't sure i wanted to be a doctor until i entered my senior year in college with a 2.8 CUM. I drew motivation from a new found passion and realized the importance of truly learning the material presented; the things we learn in class now will help make us better physicians in the future. I was able to somewhat realize my potential and average a 3.9 through the year while taking full science loads (15 science classes total). Hopefully that proves i can handle the workload to the admission committees. Plus, slackers always turn on the afterburners when they're feeling the pressure and time is closing in on them.

bigfatk....I have your exact same numbers. Interesting. I screwed up for quite a while, went into the army, then came back to school and straightened up. I have a 3.8 for the last 130 hours of undergrad, but because of the grades from before, my AMCAS comes out to a 3.2 overall. AACOMAS is a bit higher at 3.4 because of repeating some classes. Anyway....I wish you nothing but luck this cycle. Take care.

MSF

dr.z said:
I think so too.

Used a template to calculate my GPA...

Cum comes out to about 3.24

Science comes to about 3.00 +/- .03

--->depending on a neuroanatomy psych class that I am trying to classify as science and depending on the inclusion of mathematics (AAMC includes, AACOM does not)

so my guesstimate may have been slightly low... must have miscalculated.

I hope that they calculate my sci gpa above 3.0.

drmax said:
So here's the deal..

32Q MCAT

I sure you'll get into a some O programs. And I reckon you have a decent chance for an MD program too. Just put a lot of effort into the essays and the interviews.

Don't let PSU's premed advisors get you down. They told me with a 28Q and a 3.84 I wouldn't get into an osteopathic school because I had no experience with an osteopathic physician. I ended up having no problems with it at all. My best piece of advise would be for you to really understand the DO philosphy. I can almost guarentee you will get interviews at some DO schools. From there it will depend on your communication skills, personality, and ability to sneak in statements that show your knowledge and interest in osteopathy. I think that your gpa is going to hurt you though if you apply to MD schools, but if you have the money its always worth a shot.

drmax said:
So here's the deal..

32Q MCAT

Honestly, you have to know that a 32 MCAT is good and you must also know that a 2.92 science GPA is not great. Therefore, you must have answered your own question. Apply to many schools, have a good reason for the low GPA, and try to get in. Good luck.

You have a good MCAT score I think you will be fine. I however have the opposite issue. I have a great GPA 3.7 and a bad MCAT score... I haven't taken them yet but I have been studying since October with Kaplan... this is my second time taking the course. I had 24's which is average but on my last practice exam which was the last one that I was going to take was a 19. I was so disappointed I thought I did better on that exam. I really want to go to a DO school more than an MD school even though it is more expensive but I do not know what to do about my MCATs. I feel as if there is not much more I can do. I have a lot of research and volunteer experiences as well both medicine and non-medicine related. I know I want to go to DO school, go into primary care, learn Osteopathic Manipulative Therapies and use my skills to help underserved areas in both the United States and the world.

tinylilron said:
You have a good MCAT score I think you will be fine. I however have the opposite issue. I have a great GPA 3.7 and a bad MCAT score... I haven't taken them yet but I have been studying since October with Kaplan... this is my second time taking the course. I had 24's which is average but on my last practice exam which was the last one that I was going to take was a 19. I was so disappointed I thought I did better on that exam. I really want to go to a DO school more than an MD school even though it is more expensive but I do not know what to do about my MCATs. I feel as if there is not much more I can do. I have a lot of research and volunteer experiences as well both medicine and non-medicine related. I know I want to go to DO school, go into primary care, learn Osteopathic Manipulative Therapies and use my skills to help underserved areas in both the United States and the world.

Well despite the fact that you do not need to be pitching your reasons for going DO to me.. this is my advice for your MCAT woes based on my anecdotal evidence (suspect, I know)...

Are you doing the online work for Kaplan? I did about 60-70 percent of it and only when I did it, Kaplan helped and improved my scores. It was obvious that Kaplan helped also when I took the practice tests... each time I took a practice exam, I gained confidence which is where I lacked. I started with a 21 diagnostic and a 24 first full-length. My last full-length was a 29 and on the real deal I got 3 points higher on the VR section... on a side note:

For verbal reasoning during the pracice exams, I plateaued at a 10... the last three practice exams, I got a 10. On the morning of the exam, I thought, "I might as well try Kaplan methods." Kaplan recommends reading something in the social sciences or humanities to allow your mind to change gears. On an impulse, I grabbed my fiance's Economics book on my way out the door.

On my previous exams, I had always had trouble switching gears... the first two or three verbal sections always took me at least 8-10 minutes which is more time than one should use which often caused me to rush the last few sections and/or guess on some. On test day, the first passage took me 4 minutes, the second less than 6 bc I had already switched gears due to reading the econ book... I finished the VR section 7 minutes early and went back through to look over my answers briefly. Low and behold, I got a 13 rather than a 10. Moral of the story, much of the reason for people who have made it through the prerequisities still getting low MCAT scores is that they have to modify their thinking for the MCAT exam, because it is so intense. Try new things in your final practice exams... You will find that anything which calms you down or allows you to pace better will vastly improve your scores. Oh, and do your review course stuff outside of class, too. I think I could have even gotten higher had I taken my summer physiology course prior to taking the exam :( Just allow yourself to relax and do well.

You can do better on the MCAT, I promise.