This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtugadawg

Reaction score
home state Georgia
UGA Junior: 3.91 GPA 3.97 non science and 3.86 Science , 515 MCAT
Clinical Shadowing 100 Peds, 40 Ortho, 20 ENT
Clinical Volunteering: 1 year: 3-4hours a week (60+ hours, but will continue this next year so around 110 or so on app)

In addition, committee leader for large cancer charity organization on campus (60-70 hours)

Non Clinical Volunteering: Spent every Friday night last summer mentoring kids in very underserved areas and allowing parents to get a night off: 50 hours

local Food Bank:20 hours

Tutoring:15 hours

Leadership: 3 separate experiences in different health charity/ ambassador roles

employment: Summer Part Time internship at a pediatric office in administrative role helping the office transition from physical to electronic records (70 hours)

worked as a server over every winter and summer break I’ve had (400+ hours)

Other Extracurriculars: 8 months on Club Rowing, (300 hours) 1.5 years competitive Olympic weightlifting(1,000+ hours)

my biggest concern right now is my only research being marine research for about 40hours worth that consisted of a couple overnight trips to a research institute.

looking for good schools to apply to with less research emphasis

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Olympic weightlifting definitely sounds cool!

Just a ballpark estimate of how many nonclinical/clinical hours?

Otherwise, I'd say you're pretty golden for most schools. Although @Goro could give you a much better idea of how much the Olympic level sport will increase competitiveness (although I'd suspect decently at collector schools)

Reactions: 1 user

Otherwise, I'd say you're pretty golden for most schools. Although @Goro could give you a much better idea of how much the Olympic level sport will increase competitiveness (although I'd suspect decently at collector schools)

thank you, I just updated it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say these may be some you wanna take a look at:

Hofstra
Rochester
Miami
USF Morsani
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical college of Wisconsin
Wayne State
Western Michigan University
Oakland University William Beaumont
Ohio State University
University of Cincinnati
University of Toledo
Wright State University Boonshoft
Tulane University
Indiana University

The tippy top tiers may not be acheiveable because of low research but I am a lowly applicant so I may not be aware of the nuances in how your Olympic EC will be tiered (which is again very impressive!)

Admissions deans would swoon for a candidate like this. Why? Killer EC.

Olympic weightlifting as in the sport (snatch + clean) or as in you were training to be an Olympic athlete?
Research isn't completely mandatory so your 40 hours will be fine.

Olympic weightlifting as in the sport (snatch + clean) or as in you were training to be an Olympic athlete?
Research isn't completely mandatory so your 40 hours will be fine.

As in the sport lol. I have competed regionally, but not at that level.

I would say these may be some you wanna take a look at:

Hofstra
Rochester
Miami
USF Morsani
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical college of Wisconsin
Wayne State
Western Michigan University
Oakland University William Beaumont
Ohio State University
University of Cincinnati
University of Toledo
Wright State University Boonshoft
Tulane University
Indiana University

The tippy top tiers may not be acheiveable because of low research but I am a lowly applicant so I may not be aware of the nuances in how your Olympic EC will be tiered (which is again very impressive!)

To be clear, I am not in contention for an Olympic level team haha, I have competed on a regional level but that’s really it. Sorry i can see how that wasn’t clear lol

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
To be clear, I am not in contention for an Olympic level team haha, I have competed on a regional level but that’s really it. Sorry i can see how that wasn’t clear lol
Regional on an intra or interstate basis?

Either way, that shows a lot of dedication in my opinion which is always a good sign to show you wouldn’t give up on a challenge like
medical school easily!

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Medical College Georgia
Mercer
Emory
Miami
USF Morsani
NOVA MD
Tulane
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
TCU-UNT
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Tufts
Quinnipiac
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Kaiser

Regional on an intra or interstate basis?

Either way, that shows a lot of dedication in my opinion which is always a good sign to show you wouldn’t give up on a challenge like
medical school easily!

Interstate and a few online qualifiers for bigger national competitions that I didn't end up qualifying for.

Are you applying next cycle? You mentioned you'll continue volunteering next year.
I think with your stats, you'll be fine with mid and low-tier schools.

85 hours of volunteering is pretty low, but that's offset by the huge commitment you've shown to your sports. Research is a bit tricky since a lot of premeds have it. ~95% of the matriculants to Hofstra/Einstein have research experience. You should be fine if you apply early and broadly.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Medical College Georgia
Mercer
Emory
Miami
USF Morsani
NOVA MD
Tulane
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
TCU-UNT
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Tufts
Quinnipiac
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Kaiser
Are you applying next cycle? You mentioned you'll continue volunteering next year.
I think with your stats, you'll be fine with mid and low-tier schools.

85 hours of volunteering is pretty low, but that's offset by the huge commitment you've shown to your sports. Research is a bit tricky since a lot of premeds have it. ~95% of the matriculants to Hofstra/Einstein have research experience. You should be fine if you apply early and broadly.

I guess my question is doesn’t the leadership position in the school cancer fundraising organization count as additional volunteering?