chances of being accepted increase if you reapply the next year after rejection??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

topgun129

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks!

I heard this from a friend how is going into optometry and wanted to know if this applied to Dental schools (or if is true at all)...

Do your chances of being accepted to dental school increase if you reapply the next year after being rejected??

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

topgun129 said:
Hi Folks!

I heard this from a friend how is going into optometry and wanted to know if this applied to Dental schools (or if is true at all)...

Do your chances of being accepted to dental school increase if you reapply the next year after being rejected??

Thanks!

It depends on if you improved scores, shadowing hourse, grades , how early you apply etc. IF you were rejected and didnt do anything for a year and reapplied, you would still get rejected next year.

Well, trying to figure out what Ad Com's think is a bit tricky but I would think that if you didn't get into any school the first time around but improved your app (like above poster said) then that would actually be an advantage over other equal applications. It says you are not giving up and shows a high level of dedication as far as I am concerned.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were the AdCom I would rather have someone who got it right the first time than someone who failed and had to try again. Reapplying might show dedication but also it shows that the person might not have been taking it seriously the first time around.

JessicaSimpson said:
If I were the AdCom I would rather have someone who got it right the first time than someone who failed and had to try again. Reapplying might show dedication but also it shows that the person might not have been taking it seriously the first time around.

fortunately...your not :thumbup:

I think that even though some people have worked hard to get into dental school, they still get rejected because LIFE happens. I think you have to understand that sometimes, things don’t work out the way we want to simply because we can’t control them. For example, if a person works hard to build up his/her GPA, but for some reason they don’t perform well on the DAT just because they had special circumstances on that day. The fact that you didn’t do well in one part of your application does not imply that you are not serious about getting into dental school, but it just means that we, humans, are not PERFECT.

JessicaSimpson said:

NA4242 said:
I think that even though some people have worked hard to get into dental school, they still get rejected because LIFE happens. I think you have to understand that sometimes, things don’t work out the way we want to simply because we can’t control them. For example, if a person works hard to build up his/her GPA, but for some reason they don’t perform well on the DAT just because they had special circumstances on that day. The fact that you didn’t do well in one part of your application does not imply that you are not serious about getting into dental school, but it just means that we, humans, are not PERFECT.

I got asked what the perfect dentist is at one of my interviews...and the answer is that there isnt one!

Gluck

NA4242 said:

So AdCom's are supposed to feel sorry for this person and be kinder to him when he reapplies? I'm not saying that reapplying is a bad thing, or that people who don't get in the first time are worthless ... just that I don't think being a reapplicant gets you any brownie points, and that you definitely shouldn't PLAN on eventually reapplying as a strategy of getting into dental school.

I never said anything about ADCOM feeling sorry for a second time applicant (I think you are changing what I stated). And I think no one plans to reapply as a strategy to get into dental school because like I mentioned earlier LIFE just happens. Second time applicants who significantly improve their application should be highly considered as reapplying shows persistence.

JessicaSimpson said:
So AdCom's are supposed to feel sorry for this person and be kinder to him when he reapplies? I'm not saying that reapplying is a bad thing, or that people who don't get in the first time are worthless ... just that I don't think being a reapplicant gets you any brownie points, and that you definitely shouldn't PLAN on eventually reapplying as a strategy of getting into dental school.

NA4242 said:
I never said anything about ADCOM feeling sorry for a second time applicant (I think you are changing what I stated). And I think no one plans to reapply as a strategy to get into dental school because like I mentioned earlier LIFE just happens. Second time applicants who significantly improve their application should be highly considered as reapplying shows persistence.

I agree whole heartedly with NA. As a reapplicant, I learned from my mistakes last year. I think the fact that I applied late last year was my biggest hinderance. My resolve has in fact increased from being rejected last year and I think that it has helped me in my interviews this year to portray myself in the best way possible to the interviewers. I only had 1 interview last year and this year I have five. I don't know about you but I think that is a huge improvement.

hairybagel said:
I agree whole heartedly with NA. As a reapplicant, I don't make any excuses for myself why I didn't get in last year. I think the fact that I applied late last year was my biggest hinderance. My resolve has in fact increased from being rejected last year and I think that it has helped me in my interviews this year to portray myself in the best way possible to the interviewers. I only had 1 interview last year and this year I have five. I don't know about you but I think that is a huge improvement.

That is a huge improvement, but I think it has more to do with how not getting in last year affected you personally! You worked harder, were more prepared to present your strongest application etc. The Adcoms have no reason to look at you more favorably now than if you were like this and applied early last year.

And to the NA person ... maybe I was wrong, but I got the impression that the OP was asking about reapplying because he thought it would give him an edge up. There was another thread asking a similar question.

And finally, everyone, chill out! I'm not here to slag off reapplicants. If you put in the work (which you have to, or else what is the point of reapplying) and improve your application yourself, you will probably improve your chances at getting in. But don't go around expecting Adcoms to like you more than someone who waited to apply from strength just because you improved your DAT from a 15 to 20. There are tons of other applicants out there who got the 20+ on their first try. Schools are not here to hold your dick ... they've got to make choices and cuts too, and all the boo hooing in the world isn't going to make it easier for you, no matter how many times you apply.

JessicaSimpson said:
Uhhhh, that's a helpful thing to say.

It is, im sure reapplicants everywhere will be glad to know your not speaking for adcom. seriously, be a bit more understanding to those who try and don't succeed the first time around. also, reapplicant who shows improvement may actually be more appealing because they show commitment and perseverance. of course, these are all hearsay and opinions...so take don't any of it to heart. i say, just work hard and all will be good.

JessicaSimpson said:

And just because a person iis related to an alumni, they should get special considerations?!?....and just because a persons dad donates mucho dinero..they should etc!!...as you can see, you logic isnt absolute. Not suggesting that reapplying will neccessarily get you any browny points, but there are examples that indicate lenient considerations. btw, reapplying isnt a strategy, at least not a conventional nor efficient one...it is merely a last resort and a noble one at that. just some food for thought.

Envision said:
And just because a person iis related to an alumni, they should get special considerations?!?....and just because a persons dad donates mucho dinero..they should etc!!...as you can see, you logic isnt absolute. Not suggesting that reapplying will neccessarily get you any browny points, but there are examples that indicate lenient considerations. btw, reapplying isnt a strategy, at least not a conventional nor efficient one...it is merely a last resort and a noble one at that. just some food for thought.

What? None of those things SHOULD get special consideration, in my opinion, but they do, and that's just reality. That has nothing to do with what I said before ... I was just pointing out that there are two sides to reapplying to the OP. While reapplying might show perseverence etc, as other posters said, it also might show previous failure. And that's the truth! DEAL with it!

I KNOw that most of you aren't reapplying on purpose, but the OP made me think that he was considering it as a strategy. I guess this was very mistaken of me. It was probably because there was another recent thread about someone who was thinking about applying this cycle even though he didn't have much of a chance because at least it would make him a familiar face for the next cycle. All you defensive reapplicants are making these people think that Adcoms will be overly impressed by persistence. If you seriously think that you will not get in, wait for the next cycle, improve your application to the point where you have a fighting chance, and then apply! That way you look persistent (you didn't give up even though you had to take another year to get ready) and you don't have a cloud of rejection trailing over your head.

God, I have to stop arguing with people who have ant sized brains.

God, I have to stop arguing with people who have ant sized brains.[/QUOTE]

hahaha, define irony, lady insulting others of having an ant sized brain named after a lady made famous for having an ant size brain. anyway, you need to relax, just because people may find what you say controversial doesnt mean you need to start flinging insults. im glad you realize that u may have been mistaken, so now lets let by gones be by gones.

btw, just to clarify im not a reaplicant so my view point is genuine.

I am from a group of small islands in the south pacific called Tonga. I was just wondering if anyone knew how much of part that plays in getting me into dental school?

[}{]orseEater said:
I am from a group of small islands in the south pacific called Tonga. I was just wondering if anyone knew how much of part that plays in getting me into dental school?

If this is for real, then it plays a major part. I'm also an international student and I have to tell you that your best bet is private schools. You can get into state schools but it's really really tough unless you have excellent stats (like 4.0 , 25 DAT)

For example, I have interviews at UPenn and Harvard, both competitive, but not from Buffalo which is a state school. The only problem is that private schools are extremely expensive so if you could find a state school that can take you, then you could save some money.

[}{]orseEater said:

If you are a citizen of Tonga then it may make acceptance a bit difficult for you as U.S. dental schools seem to only take the very cream of the crop from the international crowd.

If you are a U.S. citizen who is Tongan/part-Tonga then it will help.