Chances of getting in to school? Long history

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pereird31

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I am a 26 yr old URM female. I graduated from high school in 2006 and I started class at a private college in my home state. Basically during my first two years of college i sucked at school grades were D's, F's and i skipped around between different colleges. After that I basically decided to get my life together. I left home moved to WY with my bf and attended a cc college. I took prereq for nursing school got in and I graduated in 2015 with my ADN with a 3.6 gpa in my nursing degree I will be graduating in May 2016 with my BSN. Question because of my stupidity in my early teenage years in college with getting all D's and F's will i stand a chance at applying anywhere? Do i have to submit transcripts from these colleges? I am signed up for biochem and molecular bio this summer and also plan on taking genetics in the fall. I have not taking a lot of the science prereqs for most schools such as physics and organic chem which i will plan to knock out and receive A's. I am also planning on applying in the 2017 year for the 2018 admission. Any suggestions or advice? Or are my dreams of becoming a doctor done?

Members don't see this ad.

Your dreams are not gone, but to achieve those dreams you have to have discipline and work hard to prove that you can handle the rigor of medical school. You should calculate your cumulative GPA + your science GPA and see where you stand currently. Ideally, 3.5+ GPA coupled with a good MCAT score will grant you interview invites. If you have an upward trend which it seems like you do, that will be in your favor as well. Just be ready to explain why are you not working with your BSN, and decided to switch to MD/DO route. Good luck!

Your dreams are not gone, but to achieve those dreams you have to have discipline and work hard to prove that you can handle the rigor of medical school. You should calculate your cumulative GPA + your science GPA and see where you stand currently. Ideally, 3.5+ GPA coupled with a good MCAT score will grant you interview invites. If you have an upward trend which it seems like you do, that will be in your favor as well. Just be ready to explain why are you not working with your BSN, and decided to switch to MD/DO route. Good luck!
Med school has always been a dream of mine since I was little. I can remember telling my mom at 9 i was going to be a doctor. I took the long route as the area i moved to with my husband is in WY and we do not have medical school and we only have 1 4yr university which was about 5 hours away from where we live. I knew I wanted to be in patient/clinical care and my family is full of doctors/nurses so i decided that route. However it has always been on my mind even through nursing school, that i wanted to go to med school. Even while working with my ADN i was never truly satisfied and i wanted more.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, what community do you represent? And don't say "the Bronx ".

What is your current GPA as per AMCAS and AACOMAS?
I am of puerto rican and african american background and is there a way to find out gpa with amcas and aacomas without doing the application?

I am of puerto rican and african american background and is there a way to find out gpa with amcas and aacomas without doing the application?
Chuck your grades in here: http://gpacalculator.net/college-gpa-calculator/
For AMCAS, just put all the grades in for your cumulative then set all the non science courses to 0 units for your sGPA.
For AACOMAS, do the same thing but if you took a class two or more times, set all attempts to 0 units except for your most recent one.
Read up on what the two consider science courses, they're not the same. I.e AACOMAS doesn't count math as science but AMCAS does.

Status
Not open for further replies.