Chances of Getting in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Venus17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my DAT. I didn’t too well, but I like to know what my chances are with these stats,
I already graduated and my science GAP is about 3.8.
DAT scores
AA= 20
TS= 22
Bio= 24
GC= 19
OC= 23
PA= 20
QR= 17
RC= 16

Reading has been always my weakest subject because English is my second language, and honestly I couldn’t improve much over a few weeks that I had to prepare for the exam. I’m usually good at math, but the math section seemed very different from any practice exam that I did. There were many graph analyzing and quantitative comparison questions. So far I’m considering applying for WesternU, USC, and UNLV. I’m a CA resident. I like to retake the exam but I think if I wait 90 days, I can’t submit my application until September which is pretty late for all schools and my chances would be even lower. Please let me know your thought! Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I forgot where I read it, but some schools are paying closer attention to RC scores because a study found that dental students with higher RC scores are more likely to be successful. Additionally, I believe a lot of schools have cutoffs around the 16-18 range for any section, so definitely apply broadly.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just took my DAT. I didn’t too well, but I like to know what my chances are with these stats,
I already graduated and my science GAP is about 3.8.
DAT scores
AA= 20
TS= 22
Bio= 24
GC= 19
OC= 23
PA= 20
QR= 17
RC= 16

Reading has been always my weakest subject because English is my second language, and honestly I couldn’t improve much over a few weeks that I had to prepare for the exam. I’m usually good at math, but the math section seemed very different from any practice exam that I did. There were many graph analyzing and quantitative comparison questions. So far I’m considering applying for WesternU, USC, and UNLV. I’m a CA resident. I like to retake the exam but I think if I wait 90 days, I can’t submit my application until September which is pretty late for all schools and my chances would be even lower. Please let me know your thought! Thanks in advance
your scores are decent. nothing too great but certainly not bad. apply to 15-20 schools as mentioned above and apply to couple private schools. Don't stick to CA only. Your RC is a concern BUT your sGPA and your EC's should balance that out. What EC's do you have ?
Your sGPA is good. Apply ASAP if you have not done so and continue saturating yourself with dental experiences.

Thanks for your response. I have about 100 hours of shadowing, 80 hours of volunteering at a dental clinic and some tutoring and research experiences.

Yeah, you really can't re-take the DAT at this point, it would just be a waste of time submitting scores that late into the process...
Apply to all of your in-state schools and about 5 OOS friendly schools near you. Kill your applications (get cookin' and submit early), PS, have strong LORs, and study up for any interviews you get, then just hope for the best.

The 16 RC is the killer... it sucks that it is this way, but schools will knock you for getting a borderline too low score in a supposedly important subsection...

During your gap year you should keep up with your volunteering and shadowing, and get a dental-related job (a medical-related job at least). If you do not here any good news by January, you definitely should gear up and crank out your DAT at like the end of April (so you're ready to apply ASAP next cycle). Go all in on study materials and time-devoted this time around.

Wish you all the best.

Reactions: 1 users
Apply to USC, UDM, and Touro. I got interview invites there with 15RC and same AA, TS, 3.2 sgpa.

Apply to USC, UDM, and Touro. I got interview invites there with 15RC and same AA, TS, 3.2 sgpa.
Thank you so much for the information. When did you complete your application?

Didnt have my dat in until aug and dentist lor in probly october.

Didnt have my dat in until aug and dentist lor in probly october.
Thanks:) I feel much better now, I was very confused! :shrug: I wish you the best of luck with your dental school!

I got an email from university of Illinois Chicago that they received my application.