Chances of getting in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PotentialMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Canadian Citizen, I just completed an undergrad degree in the US. I have a GPA of 3.25 and mcat of 27M (9/8/10/M) Having experienced not doing an undergrad at home, I would like to pursue medicine overseas.

Australia seems to be a good spot, I was wondering what would be my chances of getting in if I applied early. Debating if I should retake the MCAT. VR is tough for me, and getting that 8 I felt was more luck than anything else.

Thanks in advance :D I'm hoping to get in for the 2010 classes!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a decent chance at UQ provided you apply early.

I am a Canadian Citizen, I just completed an undergrad degree in the US. I have a GPA of 3.25 and mcat of 27M (9/8/10/M) Having experienced not doing an undergrad at home, I would like to pursue medicine overseas.

Australia seems to be a good spot, I was wondering what would be my chances of getting in if I applied early. Debating if I should retake the MCAT. VR is tough for me, and getting that 8 I felt was more luck than anything else.

Thanks in advance :D I'm hoping to get in for the 2010 classes!

Your MCAT is potentially low and you might consider rewriting the MCAT in january if you're convinced you can bring up your scores, but I wouldn't think your current scores would necessarily preclude your acceptance. I'd also agree with gmacpac that your best chance is probably at UQ (they accept the largest number of internationals). I'd get into contact with Matt at oztrekk (www.oztrekk.com) as he deals with the majority of canadian students getting into med schools in australia, and would likely be familiar with the success students with varying scores have had getting accepted. You could contact UQ directly but my experience is that there are typically delays in receiving answers.

Members don't see this ad :)
27 on the MCAT has been on the low end in the past. It seems like people have been rejected with a 28-29... but that will depend on what next year's intake looks like. Keep in mind that UQ's admissions are essentially based entirely on the MCAT, so the 27 will definitely hurt. This year, it seems like 27 might have been good enough... but they're expecting more applicants next year.

If I were applying, I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable with a 27. You should at least try to get it up to a 29-30.

I got in with a 27 with much ease. I was accepeted within 3 weeks of submitting my app. Therefore, I don't think 27 is going to hold you back at UQ.

I can't say anything about Sydney or Melbourne because I didn't apply there.