Chances of Getting Into Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

locationsuit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Chance?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you have any EC's that describe your personal hobbies or organizations you are part of just because you are interested? I feel like you need a bit of diversity in your EC's to show that you have broad interests, some of which are outside of medicine and engineering. It will make your interviews more conversational and the adcoms may see you as more well-rounded.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your 9s BS and VS might make things less than optimal.

Median stats for those accepted to your state's schools are:

EVMS 3.6/31
UVA: 3.8/34
VCU: 3.7/30

I think you're in good shape for two of those. I agree you need to shadow a doc in primary care. Sports, artistic endeavors and hobbies are good to list too. The teaching and research (with pub) will help you.

Any leadership or nonmedical community service to mention?

Consider researching MSU, Drexel, NYMC, Tulane, UIllinois, Rush, GWU, Temple, Toledo, Buffalo, Loyola, Loma Linda, MCW, UVermont, Jefferson, SUNY Upstate, UCentral Florida, Albany, Creighton, Wayne, Rosalind Franklin, Georgetown.

Last edited:
Undergrad GPA (Cumulative): 3.85
Graduate GPA: 3.64
MCAT: 29Q (P11,V9,B9)
Home state: VA
Major: Engineering (both undergrad and grad)

Extracurriculars
-2 years as a volunteer in the ER
-9 months shadowing a surgeon
-summer engineering research internship - resulted in a publication
-worked as a teaching assistant for 2 years

What are my chances of getting into my state schools (VCU, UVA, EVMS, etc.)? In addition, what out of state schools would my stats be competitive?

Thanks!

You're pretty much competitve everywhere with that GPA :thumbup: