Chances of getting into pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bozwell15

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this site but I wanted to know my chances of getting into either D'Youville, Binghamton, orthe univeristy at buffalo's schools of pharmacy. I'm currently in my senior year of my Molecular Biology B.S. at the university at buffalo with a 3.0 gpa (2.7 cumulative) and my math and sciences gpa is a 2.5. I also have my A.S. degree in engineering sciences from SUNY Broome which is why my gpa is much lower than it would've been otherwise.

On top of that I have 2 years of TA experiance in an advanced molecular biology lab and 3 years total of undergrad research experiance in molecular bio between the two colleges I've attended.

Any insight on how hard it'll be to get into these school?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm new to this site but I wanted to know my chances of getting into either D'Youville, Binghamton, orthe univeristy at buffalo's schools of pharmacy. I'm currently in my senior year of my Molecular Biology B.S. at the university at buffalo with a 3.0 gpa (2.7 cumulative) and my math and sciences gpa is a 2.5. I also have my A.S. degree in engineering sciences from SUNY Broome which is why my gpa is much lower than it would've been otherwise.

On top of that I have 2 years of TA experiance in an advanced molecular biology lab and 3 years total of undergrad research experiance in molecular bio between the two colleges I've attended.

Any insight on how hard it'll be to get into these school?

Before the doom-sayers hit your thread, let me be the first to state that in your region of the country specifically, saturation is at an all time high for pharmD holders.

That being said, I’ll suggest the following.

1) Get a high PCAT (90+) to help alleviate to some extent your low tier GPA.

2) Get your PTCB certificate as well as a Basic Lifesaving / CPR Certificate to add to licensures on your application.

3) WORK (not just shadow) as a pharmacist technician. Experience will go along way in anyone’s application.

4) If school offers, get a mentor your senior year to help with research. Once again, you need to alleviate your low tier GPA.

5) A’s from here on out to show an upward trend in the sciences and apply broadly. Do NOT confide yourself to one state. You are in a career that demands the idea of working in rural Kansas to Yakutat-ville - no neighbors for miles - Alaska before landing your ideal job

6) Best LORs anyone has seen.

If you apply broadly enough and balance experience / GPA / Certificates / Service in healthcare on your application you will get picked up. Understand though, pharmacy school is very difficult for those with low tier grades.

On my final note: Be sure the debt your about to take on is worth your studies....Please consider IHS / uniform services to give back and help lessen your loan debt.