General Admissions & OTCAS Chances of getting into school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdmcgove

Reaction score
Hi all! My name is Taylor, and I am planning to apply to a few OT programs for the fall of 2020. I have just recently graduated in May with a BS in exercise science from the University of Mississippi, and will be taking a year off in order to boost my resume.

I plan to apply to University of South Alabama and University of St. Augustine as of right now. I am going to post information from my resume below in order to receive some suggestions and ideas of what I should do with my year off.

GRE - 294 / 3.5 writing
Cumulative GPA - 3.20
Pre-Req GPA - 3.50
- A&P 1 - A
- A&P 2 - B
- Kinesiology - B
- Statistics - A
- Abnormal Psych - A
- Developmental psych - A-
- Physics - B
- Exercise phys - B+
Observation hours - I have completed 235 hours of observation in the school district and 16 hours from inpatient/outpatient combined (plan to accumulate more).
Volunteer hours - 35 hours of note taking for Student Disability Services at University of Mississippi. Also set to volunteer at a pediatric transition school in Oxford, MS. where I will be working on OT activities.
Current job - Direct Support Professional (in-home care and community care) for about a year and 2 months. I work with individuals aged 18+ that have developmental delays by monitoring medication use, assisting with hygiene and cleansing routines, cooking, accompanying them on outings, laundry, and any other ADL's that they may require assistance with.
Certifications - 14 hours of nonviolent crisis intervention & CPR/first-aid certified.

For those that read through all of this, THANK YOU!
EDIT : I have now retaken both A&P's, developmental psychology, and physics. I am now a little more comfortable with where my prerequisite GPA is at and now plan to increase my shadow hours in different settings. I additionally plan to retake my GRE and am striving to make at least a 5 point increase on the next exam. Lastly, I plan to put plenty of time and effort into my letter of purpose, as I know this is critical toward the application process.

Thanks again, & any feedback would be appreciated immensely!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey! I think your experiences look really great! The only thing hindering your resume is your cumulative gpa and your GRE score. I would definitely suggest retaking the GRE and try to get above a 300- that appeals to most colleges. Also maybe consider retaking developmental psych or A&P 2. Just boost your prereqs if you have time to!

For observation hours, you have a lot of hours in one setting. Try to diversify your observation to other settings (SNF, Mental Health, Hand Therapy, etc)

Otherwise your resume looks great :)

Reactions: 1 user
I love the number of your observation hours. It looks great on the application; however, I think you should improve your GPA and GRE if you can. Also, I recommend to start writing your personal statement and let your advisors/college professors take a look at it while you are still in college. To improve your GPA, I would suggest taking some summer classes in the summer.

Thanks,
Evan

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I think your experiences look really great! The only thing hindering your resume is your cumulative gpa and your GRE score. I would definitely suggest retaking the GRE and try to get above a 300- that appeals to most colleges. Also maybe consider retaking developmental psych or A&P 2. Just boost your prereqs if you have time to!

For observation hours, you have a lot of hours in one setting. Try to diversify your observation to other settings (SNF, Mental Health, Hand Therapy, etc)

Otherwise your resume looks great :)

Thank you SO much :) I appreciate your feedback! I will definitely plan to retake the GRE and I'm thinking developmental psych might be my best bet to retake right now. Thanks again!!

I love the number of your observation hours. It looks great on the application; however, I think you should improve your GPA and GRE if you can. Also, I recommend to start writing your personal statement and let your advisors/college professors take a look at it while you are still in college. To improve your GPA, I would suggest taking some summer classes in the summer.

Thanks,
Evan

Hi, thank you so much for your response! I am planning to retake the GRE and will most definitely work to improve my GPA. Also, I have heard the personal statement can be huge in the application process - do you have any suggestions as to whether I should keep it broad or make one for each school?

Again, thanks a ton for your time and feedback! :)

Hi, thank you so much for your response! I am planning to retake the GRE and will most definitely work to improve my GPA. Also, I have heard the personal statement can be huge in the application process - do you have any suggestions as to whether I should keep it broad or make one for each school?

Again, thanks a ton for your time and feedback! :)

I’d start out with a general one and then make specific ones based on what individual programs are asking for. I applied to 7 programs and all of them wanted a “Why is OT right for you?” general statement, but some asked for times where I encountered interpersonal conflict while others asked me to write about what about their specific program enticed me to apply.

It all depends on program and the specific prompts might vary but it’s a good idea to have a general personal statement ready for every school you apply to