Chances of getting into vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sciencenerddd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I just finished my freshman year at my university and I am freaking out because my GPA was not nearly as high as it should be. I am a pretty good student- make mostly As and Bs, unfortunately math killed my GPA (C+ in pre calc and D in calc). My cumulative GPA is a 2.9, awful I know. I'm freaking out because this could really hurt my cumulative GPA when I graduate and I'm planning on applying for vet school. I'm taking an online class to help boost my GPA, but all of this just really dragged down my confidence. I'm planning on retaking calculus in the spring, but my school just averages the two grades, so is it worth it?
I know that GPA isn't everything but it is one of the first things they look at.
If there's anyone that has some of the same experience, advice, or words of encouragement, it would greatly help!!

Members don't see this ad.

You just finished freshman year. Stop worrying about vet school applications. At this point you likely have no chance of getting accepted because you haven't completed enough experience or coursework and it's not worth anyone's time forecasting your chances at admission with so few inputs.

If math isn't your thing, don't take any more than you need and seek out help when you retake calculus. Try to get an A or B so your average is a C or higher. In the future, try to recognize when you're struggling with a course and get help early. Continue to get A's and B's in your other courses then come back in a couple years to post your stats to get opinions about your chances at vet school.

Work harder, don't make excuses, you'll do better, and you'll feel better.

I wouldn't slow down to retake. Just start working harder.

Eta: Oops. Other post is right - will have to retake the C-. But I wouldn't retake anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You will HAVE to retake calc because vet schools won't accept anything under a C-. I'm awful at math, I got a C in calc but I'm doing well in my other sciences, but you will need to excel in the sciences to show admissions you can handle the sciences. It's okay to get a C, it won't ruin your chances of getting in BUT you will need to keep them to a minimum, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
You will HAVE to retake calc because vet schools won't accept anything under a C-. I'm awful at math, I got a C in calc but I'm doing well in my other sciences, but you will need to excel in the sciences to show admissions you can handle the sciences. It's okay to get a C, it won't ruin your chances of getting in BUT you will need to keep them to a minimum, of course.
It does depend on where you apply. I'm a second-year (at my in-state) that never took calc. Ever. Some schools require it, some don't. So there's that.

It does depend on where you apply. I'm a second-year (at my in-state) that never took calc. Ever. Some schools require it, some don't. So there's that.

True! I just assumed OP was applying to a school that required it if OP was taking it. I certainly wouldn't have taken it if UF didn't require it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'll do you one better. My freshman GPA was 2.8. 2.4 in one semester. My advisor suggested tech school to me. Instead of seeing the lowest grades I have ever received in life as a setback. I saw it as motivation to do better. I got in on my first try and almost graduated with a 3.6. I also got a stellar recommendation from that same advisor. I do my best when I have jobs or goals in mind. Maybe that'll work for you too. Also, if you don't plan to apply to uf or somewhere that requires calc, don't worry about retaking it. That said, you have plenty of time to retake it. Don't stress and enjoy your undergrad. I really regret not having enough fun in college.

Meh. People can go dig up my posts about submitting a transcript of 0.0 from the university where I went to vet school......

I don't think you can do much worse than that.

Reactions: 2 users
Meh. People can go dig up my posts about submitting a transcript of 0.0 from the university where I went to vet school......

I don't think you can do much worse than that.

I had to think about what this meant for a second, because I thought "o.o" was supposed to be an emoticon, lol. I'm sure you did super well otherwise?

Hey everyone I just finished my freshman year at my university and I am freaking out because my GPA was not nearly as high as it should be. I am a pretty good student- make mostly As and Bs, unfortunately math killed my GPA (C+ in pre calc and D in calc). My cumulative GPA is a 2.9, awful I know. I'm freaking out because this could really hurt my cumulative GPA when I graduate and I'm planning on applying for vet school. I'm taking an online class to help boost my GPA, but all of this just really dragged down my confidence. I'm planning on retaking calculus in the spring, but my school just averages the two grades, so is it worth it?
I know that GPA isn't everything but it is one of the first things they look at.
If there's anyone that has some of the same experience, advice, or words of encouragement, it would greatly help!!

Just try to do better from now on and get any tutoring help that you need. It is always better to ask if you don't understand the material. Also, you will have to retake Calc anyways since you must have a C or better for the class to be counted. It probably wouldn't hurt for you to retake pre-calc too just to get your GPA up if your school does average retake scores. It will not slow you down. You may just need to cram in an extra class on those semesters you retake the courses. Also, check the "What are my chances?" thread for additional information.

I am in the same boat you are. I am in my first year and I am taking trig (my last math required for my undergrad,THANK GOODNESS.) I have a D right now with 4 weeks left in the class- I can drop the class up until July 9, still debating on wether I should do that or not. I am worried if I get the D in the class it will kill my 3.5 GPA and ruin my chances for vet school. I don't know if I am just over reacting or if I should be worried.

I am in the same boat you are. I am in my first year and I am taking trig (my last math required for my undergrad,THANK GOODNESS.) I have a D right now with 4 weeks left in the class- I can drop the class up until July 9, still debating on wether I should do that or not. I am worried if I get the D in the class it will kill my 3.5 GPA and ruin my chances for vet school. I don't know if I am just over reacting or if I should be worried.

If there is no feasible chance of you improving to a C in the next few weeks, a W will look much better than a D.

Reactions: 1 users