Chances of matching neurosurgery from a T30?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorstudentnetwork

Reaction score
Everything I have read states that prestige is important for matching neurosurgery. Is a 33 ranked school high enough?

Members don't see this ad.

While school rank/prestige is taken into consideration in residency selection (Maybe a little more after Step 1 went p/f), there's so much more that makes a competitive applicant.....letters of rec.(HUGE), test scores, research, AOA, how well you do on aways, mentors that are well connected people in the field, clerkship grades, etc.

Build a well-rounded application and you won't have to worry about the school's prestige/ranking.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok great. I guess it’s just the neuroticism echo chamber here and on Reddit
Well... it's not neuroticism. As others have said, having prestige definitely helps. But you can overcome a lack of prestige by compensating in other parts of your application, and prestige by itself is not sufficient to automatically get you into a competitive specialty or program.

But regardless, 33 is still pretty prestigious, and it's not like there's a magical barrier between 33 vs. say 29.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes

Get involved with the department early. Shadow, join research projects. Be around but don't be annoying

Reactions: 1 user
T33 is pretty prestigious... I mean thats literally like UNC or UVA or something.

You will be fine.

Reactions: 1 user