Chances with 3.47 GPA & 521 MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nathanz67

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Aim high. Yes, you cGPA is < 10th %ile for top schools, but someone has to be in that position. A great rising trend and a 521 MCAT is nothing to sneeze at.

Therefore, I suggest:

U VM
U Toledo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
MCW
Loyola
USF Morsani
Emory
BU
Mayo
Tufts
Duke
Case
Baylor
JHU
Pitt
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Any new MD school, especially Hofstra. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools. I can't recommend CNU.
Your state schools.

I think you'll find success at your state schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your upward GPA is a large positive for your application. Dont be worried you will get in with these numbers and ECs

Youre the type of person who really needs to go through MSAR carefully. Couple things I'd focus on here

1) Schools that get <10k apps per year. Get a rough idea of a schools OOS app/matriculant ratio to factor in class size as well
2) Pay attention to schools 90th percentile MCATs. Schools where your MCAT is a good several pts above the 90th percentile and that get >10k apps arent the ones most likely to interview you.
3) Median MCAT. OOS friendly schools where the median MCAT is roughly in the 33-35 range can serve as a guide to the places that are probably most likely to interview you here. Tulane, Cincinnati, Einstein, Ohio State etc to give a few examples.
4) Your state school(s) will be your best bet.
5) "Aiming too low" for lack of a better phrase isnt going to get you more IIs. Just as going overboard applying to the Harvard's and JHU's of the world wont do anything for you, likewise filling up your list with RFU, NYMC, GW type schools isnt going to work either. Key is finding a sweet spot in the middle.

Last edited: