Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drhaibane

M.D./Ph.D. Candidate
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are tons of other "will I get in?" threads out there, but I'd really like to ask everyone's opinion...

I'm doing a BS in biochemistry with minors in Japanese, Chinese and mathematics. My last semester of high school and first semester of my freshman year, i totally screwed up, as you can see from my grade data below...

My cumulative GPA trend is:
High School (Dual Credit) - 4.000
High School (Dual Credit) - 3.000
Freshman Sem I - 2.909
Freshman Sem II - 3.141
Sophomore Sem I - 3.315
Sophomore Sem II - 3.455
Junior Sem I - 3.554
Junior Sem II - 3.612

where as my non-cumulative GPA (ie GPA per semester) is:
High School (Dual Credit) Sem I + Sem II: 3.000
Freshman Sem I + Sem II: 3.228
Sophomore Sem I + Sem II: 3.935
Junior Sem I + Sem II: 3.976

It's my last two years where I've tried to show that I worked hard after I screwed up...

My MCAT scores are PS - 11, VR - 10, BS - 14 = 35Q.

I'm really involved in organic synthesis research, I have two publications, and I'm doing an NSF sponsored research abroad in nanotechnology in Taiwan this summer. I'm also involved in promoting Japanese culture in my area (no, I'm not Japanese) so I have a ton of extracurricular work -- though most of it isn't medical related. I'm also a somewhat avid member of my school's Chemistry Society and I like to give demos to elementary schools, etc. I work part-time as a network administrator too, so I have a lot of computer experience as well..

As for my research interests -- I'm wanting to study either neuro/cognitive science or computer science to do research in language acquisition and its related computer modeling. I'm interested in this because I have a fascination with medical language disorders -- aphasia, etc...and I'd like to try to understand how they work by studying the basic science behind language learning.

What really is hurting me is my GPA. Cumulatively it's 3.612, but my grade trend (jumping from a 3.000 to a 3.976) is what I'm hoping adcoms will see... I'm worried that this will all be a numbers game at first and I'll be disqualified for my low GPA. What do you think? Do you think I have a chance?

Also -- do you have any suggestions for how I can explain my poor semesters (it was medical related but I don't want to give out the reason)?

Thank you everyone in advanced!

Members don't see this ad.

So a 3.6 isn't terrible. I don't think adcoms will see that and use your app as toilet paper. You do have a chance to explain some grade trends in your application as well...as far as not being willing to disclose the reason...you will just have to disclose as much as you feel comfortable (be the least vague as possible) and then maybe mention your intent to remain private, which it seems like adcoms would have to respect. Honesty is the key and keep up the upward trend. It seems like you have some good ECs and a sense of direction for research that you are interested in. If you don't have any clinical experience at all, I would try to get at least a little. Maybe shadow a doctor a few times or do a minimal time commitment volunteering at hospital/clinic. Overall with the research experience/publications and everything you mentioned it seems like you have a solid app. Good luck.

drhaibane said:
I know there are tons of other "will I get in?" threads out there, but I'd really like to ask everyone's opinion...

I'm doing a BS in biochemistry with minors in Japanese, Chinese and mathematics. My last semester of high school and first semester of my freshman year, i totally screwed up, as you can see from my grade data below...

My cumulative GPA trend is:
High School (Dual Credit) - 4.000
High School (Dual Credit) - 3.000
Freshman Sem I - 2.909
Freshman Sem II - 3.141
Sophomore Sem I - 3.315
Sophomore Sem II - 3.455
Junior Sem I - 3.554
Junior Sem II - 3.612

where as my non-cumulative GPA (ie GPA per semester) is:
High School (Dual Credit) Sem I + Sem II: 3.000
Freshman Sem I + Sem II: 3.228
Sophomore Sem I + Sem II: 3.935
Junior Sem I + Sem II: 3.976

It's my last two years where I've tried to show that I worked hard after I screwed up...

My MCAT scores are PS - 11, VR - 10, BS - 14 = 35Q.

I'm really involved in organic synthesis research, I have two publications, and I'm doing an NSF sponsored research abroad in nanotechnology in Taiwan this summer. I'm also involved in promoting Japanese culture in my area (no, I'm not Japanese) so I have a ton of extracurricular work -- though most of it isn't medical related. I'm also a somewhat avid member of my school's Chemistry Society and I like to give demos to elementary schools, etc. I work part-time as a network administrator too, so I have a lot of computer experience as well..

As for my research interests -- I'm wanting to study either neuro/cognitive science or computer science to do research in language acquisition and its related computer modeling. I'm interested in this because I have a fascination with medical language disorders -- aphasia, etc...and I'd like to try to understand how they work by studying the basic science behind language learning.

What really is hurting me is my GPA. Cumulatively it's 3.612, but my grade trend (jumping from a 3.000 to a 3.976) is what I'm hoping adcoms will see... I'm worried that this will all be a numbers game at first and I'll be disqualified for my low GPA. What do you think? Do you think I have a chance?

Also -- do you have any suggestions for how I can explain my poor semesters (it was medical related but I don't want to give out the reason)?

Thank you everyone in advanced!

where you go to school also matters. not all gpa are treated equally. i actually know a guy like you who screwed up his first year of college. now he's at suny stony brook md/phd. what school do you want to go to? you might have to be a little realistic about schools. why did you do a summer research thing in taiwan?

I was accepted at ~50% of the schools I applied at, and my GPA isn't a whole lot higher than yours. Don't worry, just focus on making the rest of your app stellar :)