Changing career plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

If I do decide to go into the dental path, would I have a good chance to get into my first cycle?

• Yes

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters

modernfam

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm currently a senior and I have recently had a change of heart when it comes to my future plans. Initially, I was a pre-med student until I started getting involved with a research lab group and decided that I would pursue a Ph.D. program in Cancer Biology or Nutrition. Recently, I have once again changed my mind and am considering dental school, however, I still enjoy doing research. Although I could graduate Spring 2020, I plan to graduate in the Spring of 2021 to complete my B.S. in Biology, I'm clearly concerned because I would prefer not to spend an extra year (2021-2022) doing a post-bacc or masters when I can either be in a Ph.D. or dental program. I figured that from now to the end of the year, I could spend that time improving my GPA(3.50), possibly shadowing/working in a dental office and continuing my research projects. For those of you that are pre-dental, what made you decide to pursue that as a career?

Members don't see this ad.

I chose dentistry bc I like working with others and having the opportunity later on to provide oral care to the underserved communities locally or abroad through mission trips. There is a large populations of Americans that still don’t see the dentist when they need to bc of the lack of access to care and it needs to changed. What I personally believe makes dentistry different from medicine is that it is very hands on and it is focused on treating the conditions of the mouth. I also enjoy the follow-up aspects of dentistry where I can develop trust and long term relationships with patients as I see their symptoms improve and for some I feel rewards to see a boost in their confidence. I definitely saw this through my shadowing/volunteer experiences/ working as a dental assistant and I can picture myself doing this for the next 20+ years. Another reason is that I want to hopefully have a family later on and have the flexibility to be with my kids.

Everyone that I spoke to that is a predent student or in dental school have unique experiences on what motivates them to pursue dentistry. I have some friends who have switched their minds just like you! They are doing well in dental school and are happy with their decision.

Before you make a strong commitment towards dentistry I strongly suggest looking into as many opportunities to shadow a dentist. I find that you can always learn more about the field if you put yourself in different settings (free clinic, medical mission trips, and private practice). Another thing to note is the increasing cost of dental school tuition every year. Dental school is more expensive than most medical schools and other graduate program. I and most students can’t comprehend how much debt we would be paying for 10 or 20 years so keep this in mind.

Take what others say with a grain of salt and decide what you want to do in the future. With all this I hope u figure everything out what direction u want to take. You sound like a hardworking and bright student with lots of potential in any given field to help others. Don’t feel pressure to go straight into a program bc taking a gap year can help you grow as a person and you can always improve your application too! I wish you the best as you begin a new year!☺

I agree. Know what you are getting into. The “idea” of being a dentist is greatly different than actually becoming one.

Members don't see this ad :)
At this point in time I would only recommend dentistry if you can get into your state dental school. And even then consider the total anticipated COA. Will it exceed $400k? thats where I would reconsider this career path and really think from a practical standpoint. The clueless pre-dents here can rant all they want that dentistry is their "passion" and that they want to "serve underserved communities", or "I'm gonna ride on my unicorn across downtown compton, camden, and baltimore and give people better teeth" but if you're going to plan a family then the debt becomes the biggest factor. Think of the sacrifice and opportunity cost.

Don't even think about schools like USC or NYU (my school). Where COA is already $673k+ and expected to rise. That is financial suicide and the definition of stupidity. I am a D4 and will graduate NYU in May with total debt around $500K ish. It will be an uphill battle but atleast this is doable compared to a potential $700k debt.

Reactions: 2 users
For those of you that are pre-dental, what made you decide to pursue that as a career?

Not predental, but I can give you some opinions based on experience. Like you, I was originally premed. Started researching MDs vs DDS and realized that I wanted a simpler lifestyle. I also was attracted to the possibility of owning my own practice. Hence became an orthodontist. Enjoyed my career for the most part .... except when dentistry went retail.

After 27 years in practice .... my disappointment with dentistry in general revolves around the fact that most of dentistry has become retail. It's not so much of a SERVICE or TREATMENT that we provide. It's become $99 braces, fillings, caps, etc.etc.etc. Just a commodity that will be valued as such. I still remember when dental advertising was considered bad. We weren't going to stoop to the lower levels of the attorneys with regards to advertising. Look at us now. EVERYONE is advertising.
Yes. Medicine has it's own problems, but it is not a commodity ..... yet.

With your research background .... you might get bored with retail dentistry. Maybe consider working in the dental academic arena.

Reactions: 1 users
Not predental, but I can give you some opinions based on experience. Like you, I was originally premed. Started researching MDs vs DDS and realized that I wanted a simpler lifestyle. I also was attracted to the possibility of owning my own practice. Hence became an orthodontist. Enjoyed my career for the most part .... except when dentistry went retail.

After 27 years in practice .... my disappointment with dentistry in general revolves around the fact that most of dentistry has become retail. It's not so much of a SERVICE or TREATMENT that we provide. It's become $99 braces, fillings, caps, etc.etc.etc. Just a commodity that will be valued as such. I still remember when dental advertising was considered bad. We weren't going to stoop to the lower levels of the attorneys with regards to advertising. Look at us now. EVERYONE is advertising.
Yes. Medicine has it's own problems, but it is not a commodity ..... yet.

With your research background .... you might get bored with retail dentistry. Maybe consider working in the dental academic arena.

Dentistry has become retail a long time ago.....long before I started dental school in the mid 90s. In fact, my plan after graduation was to work for dental corps. And that's what I did. I worked 24 days/month for 3 different corp offices right after graduation. 4 years later I started my first office.

The problem with working in dental academia is you don't make enough to pay back the student loans. No matter how much you enjoy your job, it's not freedom when you are living with debt. Don't go to dentistry if your plan is to work for someone else for the rest of your life. In order to reach the financial freedom fast, you have to own a practice.

I too was a premed. I took the MCAT twice and did terrible both times. My undergrad GPA wasn't high enough for med schools either. Therefore, I had to switch to dentistry. I didn't really have any other choices....a BS in Bio was pretty much a useless degree. Now looking back, I am glad that I wasn't smart enough for med school. Dentistry is a much better profession. My work hours and income are much better than those of my younger brother, my brother in law, and my cousins, who are all doctors.

Reactions: 2 users