Changing from pre-pharmacy to pre-dental...Advice plz

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mao_Mao123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Recently I've been thinking about changing from pre-pharmacy to pre-dental. After working as a pharmacy tech in retail and shadowing a pharmacist I really don't care for retail..at all. Along with that, chemistry was never my strongest subject.

It sucks that I'm just now realizing this after earning 3 great LORS from 3 pharmacists. I have my AA/AS and only had 4 classes (organic chem+physics) to finish up at my community college before applying to the pharmacy school I was interested in.

I managed to volunteer at my local hospital from January 2017- July acquiring 50 hours before becoming homeless for 6 months.

My questions are:
1. Where do I start in terms of volunteering for dental clinics?
2. Should I finish these pre-reqs at Valencia or should I go to a 4 yr and get my BS? (I really don't have the $ right now)
4 .Should I take physics with calc or without calc for dental school?
3. How long should I shadow a dentist for? ( I shadowed a pharmacist for 6 months and felt like that was too long...things got repetitive)

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Btw I just moved to Fl...and was eyeing UF dental school....

Members don't see this ad.

Hey man! I can help a little I think.

1. You're going to need at least 50hrs shadowing dentists. Usually people have luck with their own dentist or dentists they know personally.

2. You will need a bachelors degree for almost every school. There are some that will accept you without, but it's pretty damn rare.

4. It won't make a difference which physics you take. If Calc makes you happy, then take that one, but it won't make a difference when it comes to admission.

3. Personally the longest I shadowed a density was like 12 hours. Experiences vary.

Good luck man! It sounds like you've been through a lot, and I hope you find your place in the world.

Reactions: 1 user