Changing from pre-pharmacy to pre-dental...Advice plz

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mao_Mao123

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone

Recently I've been thinking about changing from pre-pharmacy to pre-dental. After working as a pharmacy tech in retail and shadowing a pharmacist I really don't care for retail..at all. Along with that, chemistry was never my strongest subject.

It sucks that I'm just now realizing this after earning 3 great LORS from 3 pharmacists. I have my AA/AS and only had 4 classes (organic chem+physics) to finish up at my community college before applying to the pharmacy school I was interested in.

I managed to volunteer at my local hospital from January 2017- July acquiring 50 hours before becoming homeless for 6 months.

My questions are:
1. Where do I start in terms of volunteering for dental clinics?
2. Should I finish these pre-reqs at Valencia or should I go to a 4 yr and get my BS? (I really don't have the $ right now)
4 .Should I take physics with calc or without calc for dental school?
3. How long should I shadow a dentist for? ( I shadowed a pharmacist for 6 months and felt like that was too long...things got repetitive)

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Btw I just moved to Fl...and was eyeing UF dental school....
 
Hey man! I can help a little I think.

1. You're going to need at least 50hrs shadowing dentists. Usually people have luck with their own dentist or dentists they know personally.

2. You will need a bachelors degree for almost every school. There are some that will accept you without, but it's pretty damn rare.

4. It won't make a difference which physics you take. If Calc makes you happy, then take that one, but it won't make a difference when it comes to admission.

3. Personally the longest I shadowed a density was like 12 hours. Experiences vary.

Good luck man! It sounds like you've been through a lot, and I hope you find your place in the world.