Changing Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Etan19197

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I am most likely reapplying this cycle I've noticed that I will need to change my PS. Tbh I feel that my PS was pretty strong and part of the reason I received interviews in the first place so I am struggling with ideas on how to change it. My structure was basically 2-3 paragraphs about challenges I have faced and how that put me on the path to become a physician. Then I included another paragraph about a specific story where I was able to utilize the qualities I gained from those experiences in a clinical setting.

I plan on keeping the 2 paragraphs about why I decided on medicine. I'm going to rewrite them a little to make them better however the content will be the same. Then I will change the specific story to a more recent one (and better one IMO). Would this be enough changes? I guess I'm just curious how much reapplicants generally change their PS from year to year?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm reapplying this cycle as well - I took this last cycle off, though, and did a lot of new stuff that is going in my PS. For you, one thing to consider would be how the challenges you faced might have affected other people too. Essentially you could keep the same structure but focus it a bit less on yourself, more on what you learned from shared challenges/suffering. Just an idea! My previous PS was too self-focused so this is something I'm changing. Overall it sounds like you have a great PS so maybe just ask a few friends to read it. Since you are changing a substantial part about a specific event, I would be inclined to say its enough of a change. There is value in having a stable sense of why you want to be a physician - I personally would not change that aspect of the PS, to avoid seeming wishy-washy in your motivations.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm reapplying this cycle as well - I took this last cycle off, though, and did a lot of new stuff that is going in my PS. For you, one thing to consider would be how the challenges you faced might have affected other people too. Essentially you could keep the same structure but focus it a bit less on yourself, more on what you learned from shared challenges/suffering. Just an idea! My previous PS was too self-focused so this is something I'm changing. Overall it sounds like you have a great PS so maybe just ask a few friends to read it. Since you are changing a substantial part about a specific event, I would be inclined to say its enough of a change. There is value in having a stable sense of why you want to be a physician - I personally would not change that aspect of the PS, to avoid seeming wishy-washy in your motivations.

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you for the advice. I agree that I didn’t want to seem wishy washy but I’ve read some people completely revamp their statements after reapplying. I’m also applying to a lot more schools for the first time. Sounds like you have a good idea about your statement as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
No problem! I could see a complete revamp being justified if the original was weak, but you seem confident that yours was actually a strong point, so I wouldn't second-guess yourself too much there. Here's to hoping we both get better results this time around!

Tough call. I generally recommend a pretty thorough rewrite. If the rewrite ends up being similar, then that's fine, but at least rephrase and reorganize. Definitely add at least one anecdote or experience to it. If you apply to the same programs again and they see the same PS, they may think you're being lazy. Plus hopefully you have done things over the past year that you can add in there to show growth.

That being said, have people read it! Go to the PS readers on SDN and have a bunch of strangers go over it.

Also make sure to post your stats and info on here at some point to get as much advice as possible.

Tough call. I generally recommend a pretty thorough rewrite. If the rewrite ends up being similar, then that's fine, but at least rephrase and reorganize. Definitely add at least one anecdote or experience to it. If you apply to the same programs again and they see the same PS, they may think you're being lazy. Plus hopefully you have done things over the past year that you can add in there to show growth.

That being said, have people read it! Go to the PS readers on SDN and have a bunch of strangers go over it.

Also make sure to post your stats and info on here at some point to get as much advice as possible.

Yeah I agree. I’m basically at a point where half of it is well written and half of it is a rough draft. I swapped out an anecdote with a recent one which I think is better, but I need to articulate it better.

I’ve been reaching out to ppl on reddit to look over it. I’m gonna have to find people on sdn to look over it. I’ve already posted a WAMC thread as wel so I think this cycle will be a lot better.