Changing role of Walgreens pharmacists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know....I know plenty of technicans who paid $10,000-$15,000 to go through a optional 9-month technician training course for an $8/hr job.

If it's a private trade school, it can indeed cost that much. The programs I've seen were usually a semester or so and were about $2,000 or less if it was at a community college or online, and EVERYONE I knew who took the course regretted it, usually because once they got the job, they were kicking themselves because everything they learned was OJT and they could have been, like, making money during that time.

Several of them at my old hospital had their tuition paid for through JTPA when a local factory closed.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard about the changes to Walgreens from an interviewer of mine. He said that when the Pharmacist gets a customer they will push a button and the tech's work will be submitted to slower stores or to corporate for continuous checking. Also whenever someone walks into a pharmacy (or goes through the drive-thru) it will read their cell-phone signal and you will know who each person is before they get to the counter. You will never council a drive-thru patient face-to-face as counseling will be done via Skype. Sounds like some interesting changes.. and they must be committed to it at a cost of around 1-2 million per pharmacy (comes out to around 1 billion total).

This is really creepy. So, what happens to a person who didn't bring their cell phone with them?

This is really creepy. So, what happens to a person who didn't bring their cell phone with them?

I didn't ask that.. but I'm sure that is an uncommon occurrence for someone to not have their cell with them these days. I'm sure they'd have to resort to the "old system" of actually asking someone their name. A lot of people I've talked to about this aren't too happy about "being tracked" with that technology, but I'm sure they are just doing it to get you out of the store faster.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't ask that.. but I'm sure that is an uncommon occurrence for someone to not have their cell with them these days.
Majority of my patients are 65+. Even if they have a cell, it's not a smart phone.

Majority of my patients are 65+. Even if they have a cell, it's not a smart phone.

Yea I imagine it's going to be pretty hit or miss depending on the implementation area. Perhaps Wags will offer some sort of discount card that has an RFID chip imbedded in it. Your 65+ year old patients won't need a cell phone. Anything with an RFID chip would serve the same purpose. Pretty soon we'll all be able to be tracked and it will be perfectly legal. In Texas a ruling was upheld where students must wear a tracking device even if they don't want to for any reason (including religious reasons). It's the mark of the beast! *cue ominous music*

I'm a new grad (Class of 2012) and have been working for Walgreens for a month as a floater. So far, it's been an interesting and scary experience because I still don't know all the ins and outs of Intercom plus.

Anyway, I've spoken to two pharmacists who claim the role of the pharmacist is changing. Very soon, Walgreens pharmacists will no longer be working within the confines of the pharmacy. Pharmacists will be stationed just outside of the pharmacy and have their own desk, chair, and do consultations all day. They will be in direct contact with patients. From what I understood, the only people working in the pharmacy will be technicians. The pharmacist will no longer be responsible for dispensing, ringing customers out for their meds, milk, or whatever other products they purchase at the pharmacy. These two pharmacists explained these changes are already taking place at select pharmacies in my city.

What do you guys think about these changes? The pharmacists told me these upcoming changes appear to facilitate a pharmacist's job, but who knows? It seems to be pharmacists will be less burdened and stressed while technicians will have even more work without the pharmacist helping them out.

Does anyone have any insight or feedback about these changes? How do you think they will affect a pharmacist's salary and the overall stresses of retail pharmacy? Thanks.

This is already done in Indianapolis

Yea they have this at Walgreens near Chicago too. Testing it out there (Walgreens is based just outside of Chicago so it makes sense). One time I was on a rotation and I was at another grocery chain's pharmacy headquarters and all the major big wigs in the office took a trip to go see the new Walgreens setup. They liked it a lot. But yea, everyone's so worried about whats going to happen, why don't you guys use your energy to try to get back ahold of your profession so you have a say in what happens.

Yea they have this at Walgreens near Chicago too. Testing it out there (Walgreens is based just outside of Chicago so it makes sense). One time I was on a rotation and I was at another grocery chain's pharmacy headquarters and all the major big wigs in the office took a trip to go see the new Walgreens setup. They liked it a lot. But yea, everyone's so worried about whats going to happen, why don't you guys use your energy to try to get back ahold of your profession so you have a say in what happens.

It's hard when everyone is in debt. Debt is bondage. We gotta break rocks to work down our tabs at the company store.

Speaking of loans, since I am out of work, has anyone filed both a forbearance and the unemployment document? I filed both, but I am concerned it will affect my credit score in the meantime since I can't make my next payment in a week.

I would suggest signing up for credit karma and monitor your scores. Dont ever default. Unfortunately if you default they don't count that as just one account. Each time you borrowed, it is counted as one account. So if you borrowed Stanford loan per semester for 4 years, that is 8 accounts you will be defaulting.

Would it be counted as defaulting if I filled out the paperwork for unemployment forms and the forbearance? I don't have the money to pay my loans back. Anyone have any experience with this? I don't want it to ruin my credit- it's not my fault the job market is awful and it's impossible to find work.

I don't think so? You should confirm it

I don't know....I know plenty of technicans who paid $10,000-$15,000 to go through a optional 9-month technician training course for an $8/hr job.

I too know plenty of techs that went to school and have loans only to be making maybe 10 an hour.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be counted as defaulting if I filled out the paperwork for unemployment forms and the forbearance? I don't have the money to pay my loans back. Anyone have any experience with this? I don't want it to ruin my credit- it's not my fault the job market is awful and it's impossible to find work.

You should call to be sure, particularly if you have a payment due soon. You maybe able to send a partial or token payment to keep your account in good standing.

^^ I agree with calling since your next payment is due soon.

"Forbearance -- whether on a mortgage, student loan or other financial obligation -- provides temporary financial relief for those who are unable to make payments on their loans due to unforeseen circumstances. Under forbearance, your lender agrees to halt collection of payment for a specified amount of time. This can be anywhere from a few months to several months or even a year in the case of student loans. During this time, you are not obligated to make payments, and your lender will not make collection attempts. While forbearance is often used when people have a financial hardship, being under forbearance in and of itself will not harm your credit score."

Read more: Will Forbearance Status Affect My Credit Score? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5300558_forbearance-status-affect-credit-score.html#ixzz2NTb4TX1T

I had called and they told me to file both forbearance and unemployment papers, so that way I could get forbearance if I couldn't do unemployment. Just was wondering if anyone had personal experience with the process. I would never have imagined being without work like this. I have diligently tried to find work in the past few weeks, I think I've contacted hundreds of pharmacies. The answer I get is that no one is hiring pharmacists. I would be happy even with a part time job at this point.

I had called and they told me to file both forbearance and unemployment papers, so that way I could get forbearance if I couldn't do unemployment. Just was wondering if anyone had personal experience with the process. I would never have imagined being without work like this. I have diligently tried to find work in the past few weeks, I think I've contacted hundreds of pharmacies. The answer I get is that no one is hiring pharmacists. I would be happy even with a part time job at this point.

Where are you right now and are you willing to move? There are jobs in the MD/DC/Northern VA areas as most of my friends graduating are getting offers as we speak. I am fortunate to have one and possibly a second shortly. It's all about who you know, good luck with everything.

Thank you for your concern. I am not in the MD/DC region, and I don't have any money to move or else I would. If you have any ideas for any employers who might be hiring, message me.

Rxtech2012- how am I supposed to move when I don't even have the money to move or pay my rent? That is kind of unfair. I don't even have a job offer lined up in another area of the country yet. And I don't want to move- there's actually a guy out here I'm interested in. Why should I have to ruin my entire life just to get a job which might fall through again?

Last edited:
Thank you for your concern. I am not in the MD/DC region, and I don't have any money to move or else I would. If you have any ideas for any employers who might be hiring, message me.

That is your problem: not willing to relocate...sometimes you have to spend money(you might not have) to earn money.

cvs has been copying everything that wags does. i honestly hope this is not one of them. -_-O

Anyone have any updates on how this new format has panned out so far? Has it been successful?

There will be cameras. After the prescription is filled, the tech holds a few pills under the camera, it takes a picture and gets sent to the pharmacist station where it will get reviewed by them. Once they confirm the correct drug, it can be dispensed. Or so I've been told.

Pretty old thread, but I had imagined this already

Where can I be paid for my feverish fantasies?? :laugh:

A robot can fill, a tech can man in and out windows. Only need a pharmacist for drug and therapy questions

Just need a system for final check - whether it is trained tech, computer (unlikely imo even if low error rate), or remote pharmacist

I heard about the changes to Walgreens from an interviewer of mine. He said that when the Pharmacist gets a customer they will push a button and the tech's work will be submitted to slower stores or to corporate for continuous checking. Also whenever someone walks into a pharmacy (or goes through the drive-thru) it will read their cell-phone signal and you will know who each person is before they get to the counter. You will never council a drive-thru patient face-to-face as counseling will be done via Skype. Sounds like some interesting changes.. and they must be committed to it at a cost of around 1-2 million per pharmacy (comes out to around 1 billion total).

My God,

they are stealing all my ideas! My retirement plan, my legacy - Where's a master patent troll lawyer when you need one? :smuggrin:

As far as the various issues brought up in this thread, there are ways around them with even more technology.

Granted, this yields more points of failure, and there needs to be a backup plan in case of temporary outages, but I think it can be done. Incidentally if civilization collapses pharmacy will be out anyway, or back out in the fields/woods picking herbs

again, this is a complete waste of time and a very inefficient process

so while a pharmacist is counseling a patient, he or she is expected to do data review and check drugs from a tech on a camera? i will be pressing the button all day to do nothing and send it to other stores to check.

STUPID..

WAGs can spend 1-2 million per store. just like their power initiative, keep wasting money on dumb ideas.

how about this for an idea? give more tech hours so that service at the store level will be much better and customers helped more efficiently?

how about this for an idea? lobby to prevent mandatory mail order rx's for both 30 day and 90 day rx's and leave them at the same copay for the patient AND the same reimbursement to the pharmacy that dispenses the drug.

Why should a PBM force a customer to THEIR OWN mail order pharmacy..

I don't understand why the competition laws in America haven't yet been applied to whats going on in pharmacy.

Anyways.. back to the point, what WAGs is doing is just dumb.. what a waste.

simple, keep the money in house

http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.co...ome-walgreens-pharmacies-violating-hipaa-laws

Interesting development. I guess I have my doubts that this is anymore less private than leaning through a window talking to a patient with all the other customers milling around. But I don't know, I haven't actually seen one of these set-ups, none of them around my area that I'm aware of.....and if the pharmacist is actually leaving the desk and not locking the computer, well that is just stupid and would definitely open up to HIPAA violations.

Milling is exactly what they do. Mr/Ms Miller is the pseudonym I use to alert ONLY the cashier that a waiter is ready for POS. Keeps customers for taking on additional pharmacy management responsibilities. :)

Interesting development. I usually don't go to Walgreens, but I'm going to have to visit to see what the new setup is like.

Is it just me, or does it feel like we're giving our jobs away, piece by piece?

Sure, it would be great to counsel patients all day in order to show benefit and value to the patient, but how can we justify giving away our traditionally mandated involvement in dispensing? Pretty soon, we're not going to have any legally required job functions left. And tech-check-tech? Don't get me started on why that's one of the worst ideas for the pharmacy profession...boards of pharmacy were not looking out for pharmacists when they went along with this. Plus, like one poster said, I don't think the majority of techs are up to that task - they don't have the training or the liability that encourages them to catch mistakes.

Is it just me, or does it feel like we're giving our jobs away, piece by piece?

Sure, it would be great to counsel patients all day in order to show benefit and value to the patient, but how can we justify giving away our traditionally mandated involvement in dispensing? Pretty soon, we're not going to have any legally required job functions left. And tech-check-tech? Don't get me started on why that's one of the worst ideas for the pharmacy profession...boards of pharmacy were not looking out for pharmacists when they went along with this. Plus, like one poster said, I don't think the majority of techs are up to that task - they don't have the training or the liability that encourages them to catch mistakes.
Boards of Pharmacy do not necessarily look out for pharmacists or the pharmacy profession. Their main purpose is protecting patient health and safety. In fact, most of the time they are usually seen dishing out discipline to pharmacists, and now that techs need to be registered/certified, the boards will probably discipline techs as well.

Now, this Walgreens thing is not tech check tech. There are enough clues in this thread to see that everything is still verified by a pharmacist, but it gets done remotely.

Let's see, someone comes up with the ideas I have, gets paid big bucks in a corporate suit

Other suits stop by and steal all the ideas

I told people I needed sleep. Only I can save myself

Now, this Walgreens thing is not tech check tech. There are enough clues in this thread to see that everything is still verified by a pharmacist, but it gets done remotely.

I was referring to an earlier post about the use of tech-check-tech in hospitals in Wisconsin (I think?). It is also heavily utilized in hospitals in my state as well. And let's be honest, if hospitals can get away with it, how long will it be before retail pharmacy can do the same?

The argument is always: "Well it will allow pharmacists to take on a more clinical role." But when it comes down to it, the bean counters will end up saying, "well, we haven't needed pharmacists to do clinical things in the past...we can use this as an opportunity to cut down on our personnel costs by eliminating a pharmacy FTE..." :(

I was referring to an earlier post about the use of tech-check-tech in hospitals in Wisconsin (I think?). It is also heavily utilized in hospitals in my state as well. And let's be honest, if hospitals can get away with it, how long will it be before retail pharmacy can do the same?

The argument is always: "Well it will allow pharmacists to take on a more clinical role." But when it comes down to it, the bean counters will end up saying, "well, we haven't needed pharmacists to do clinical things in the past...we can use this as an opportunity to cut down on our personnel costs by eliminating a pharmacy FTE..." :(

Tech-check-tech? Not long at all until it hits retail. The military has been doing it for years. The hospital I worked at in pharmacy school 14 years ago had tech-check.

Here is all you need to know.

The out-in-front pharmacist remotely monitors the pharmacy technicians and checks the accuracy of prescriptions using photos and video displayed on a computer screen.

This could be done across the street, across the state or by a pharmacist in India. Walgreen's is doing nothing more than trying to prove a pharmacy can be run without a pharmacist on site.

I worked at one of these "wellness" stores for two days in a row a few months ago. As already stated, you have your own desk with telephone and a computer just outside the pharmacy. Your F4s consist of the usual data entry verification AND product review as well via a computer image of the medication container, dosage form (with corresponding NDC) number, and the contents of what is being dispensed. Do you see a green, scored tablet with a CM14 imprint? Is that tablet inside John Doe's amber vial? Does the label affixed to that vial state it is Clonazepam 1 mg? If everything matches, just click "Accept". Otherwise, click "Reject" if anything is off, such as the NDC, imprint, etc.

In my experience, in those two days, I didn't have many people walking up to my desk to speak to me. A few here and there. But I felt as if the interaction with patients was much greater when working behind the traditional pharmacy counter. Most of the interaction was between the techs and patients. Oh, and by the way, there were about 5 techs at this particular pharmacy. They were doing all the running around and even had their own key for the CII safe. Though comfortable and less tiring to be sitting down all day, I felt useless initially and that I really was not doing anything except clicking buttons. The techs had most of the work to perform.

The company is taking this approach to slowly get rid of the pharmacist. There's no way they are going to continue paying us a 6-figure salary for sitting out there in a comfy chair to do nothing. Let's be realistic. I have also spoken to experienced, older pharmacists (25-30+ years) who claim to have listened in on discussions and ideas the company has to try and get rid of the pharmacist. We are about to head over a cliff.

I knew this would happen

What is the benefit of an IQ if you don't use it?

I worked at one of these "wellness" stores for two days in a row a few months ago. As already stated, you have your own desk with telephone and a computer just outside the pharmacy. Your F4s consist of the usual data entry verification AND product review as well via a computer image of the medication container, dosage form (with corresponding NDC) number, and the contents of what is being dispensed. Do you see a green, scored tablet with a CM14 imprint? Is that tablet inside John Doe's amber vial? Does the label affixed to that vial state it is Clonazepam 1 mg? If everything matches, just click "Accept". Otherwise, click "Reject" if anything is off, such as the NDC, imprint, etc.

In my experience, in those two days, I didn't have many people walking up to my desk to speak to me. A few here and there. But I felt as if the interaction with patients was much greater when working behind the traditional pharmacy counter. Most of the interaction was between the techs and patients. Oh, and by the way, there were about 5 techs at this particular pharmacy. They were doing all the running around and even had their own key for the CII safe. Though comfortable and less tiring to be sitting down all day, I felt useless initially and that I really was not doing anything except clicking buttons. The techs had most of the work to perform.

The company is taking this approach to slowly get rid of the pharmacist. There's no way they are going to continue paying us a 6-figure salary for sitting out there in a comfy chair to do nothing. Let's be realistic. I have also spoken to experienced, older pharmacists (25-30+ years) who claim to have listened in on discussions and ideas the company has to try and get rid of the pharmacist. We are about to head over a cliff.

Wait... you felt useless because you aren't doing the busy work that a high school student can do anymore? So you are saying you are only worth the salary you are making when you are counting by 5 and ringing people up? If you were just there clicking buttons instead of making sure patients are getting the appropriate medication, then I guess you are right, you were useless.

Wait... you felt useless because you aren't doing the busy work that a high school student can do anymore? So you are saying you are only worth the salary you are making when you are counting by 5 and ringing people up? If you were just there clicking buttons instead of making sure patients are getting the appropriate medication, then I guess you are right, you were useless.

I think the point was that this new "wellness" model is being touted as a way to increase your interaction with patients when, in reality the pharmacist experienced less patient interaction. It's not that the poster wasn't fulfilling their professional role as a pharmacist or that they think they should count by fives instead. It just represents the fear of some, myself included, that corporate pharmacy is ultimately working towards physically removing pharmacists from their stores in an effort to decrease personnel costs. This "wellness" model may just be a step to try and show that pharmacists aren't really needed behind the counter... :(

There is the problem of losing touch with an everchanging medication landscape. How many times have we've been surprised to learn of a new strength or XR formulation? Pharmacist's Letter and other sources simply are not adequate.

When the segmentation of tasks began with offsite data review, I worried that over time the data review pharmacists' practical knowledge base would atrophy w/o having hands-on experience on the idiosyncracies of certain drugs such as liquid Trileptal or the plethora of new fentanyl formulations. The in-store product review pharmacist would lose that ability to data review under pressure during cruch periods.

I think the point was that this new "wellness" model is being touted as a way to increase your interaction with patients when, in reality the pharmacist experienced less patient interaction. It's not that the poster wasn't fulfilling their professional role as a pharmacist or that they think they should count by fives instead. It just represents the fear of some, myself included, that corporate pharmacy is ultimately working towards physically removing pharmacists from their stores in an effort to decrease personnel costs. This "wellness" model may just be a step to try and show that pharmacists aren't really needed behind the counter... :(

Precisely- well said.

Obviously, I was ensuring patients receive the appropriate medication. You know that very well, but are trying to be a smart ass. :rolleyes: Unless you work for Walgreens and have actually worked in this type of revamped pharmacy setting, you really cannot understand how different it feels. Yes, even if you're still doing data review while stationed just outside of the pharmacy, you feel too "comfy" and kind of useless when, as a pharmacist, you are used to running around inside the pharmacy under hectic work conditions. It felt "too easy" in comparison to what we as pharmacists normally experience. I felt bad for the technicians because they were the ones running around like chickens with their heads cut off and I was just out there doing my data review comfortably with minimal interruptions. The reduced stress and increased comfort felt too good to be true. I, and other pharmacists, suspect this is just a step in the wrong direction and this is why I say they are not going to continue paying us a high salary just for doing data review and other tasks while seated outside.

Obviously, I was ensuring patients receive the appropriate medication. You know that very well, but are trying to be a smart ass. :rolleyes: Unless you work for Walgreens and have actually worked in this type of revamped pharmacy setting, you really cannot understand how different it feels. Yes, even if you're still doing data review while stationed just outside of the pharmacy, you feel too "comfy" and kind of useless when, as a pharmacist, you are used to running around inside the pharmacy under hectic work conditions. It felt "too easy" in comparison to what we as pharmacists normally experience. I felt bad for the technicians because they were the ones running around like chickens with their heads cut off and I was just out there doing my data review comfortably with minimal interruptions. The reduced stress and increased comfort felt too good to be true. I, and other pharmacists, suspect this is just a step in the wrong direction and this is why I say they are not going to continue paying us a high salary just for doing data review and other tasks while seated outside.

We've been saying this here since project one pilot rolled out a year (or two?) ago. Project one (or whatever the hell they're calling it these days) = proof of concept for telepharmacy in retail

So first people complain about making pharmacist do manual labor that anyone that can breath can do. "Oh we are getting replaced because all we do is hard labor that doesn't require an education!!!" Now people complain about not doing them... Make up your mind!

If your techs are not bringing you questions then that is a problem with tech training. Techs should not be recommending ANY OTC products for any reason. They do not have the knowledge to determine even something simple like is it allergies or a cold? All patients with questions about any type of drug need to go to the RPh.

Once there starts to be CII theft because of lack of pharmacist oversight these stores may have to reconsider their methods.

There is the problem of losing touch with an everchanging medication landscape. How many times have we've been surprised to learn of a new strength or XR formulation? Pharmacist's Letter and other sources simply are not adequate.

When the segmentation of tasks began with offsite data review, I worried that over time the data review pharmacists' practical knowledge base would atrophy w/o having hands-on experience on the idiosyncracies of certain drugs such as liquid Trileptal or the plethora of new fentanyl formulations. The in-store product review pharmacist would lose that ability to data review under pressure during cruch periods.
I'd say either of these roles--offsite data review or in-store product review pharmacist--would still be better than being unemployed because of refusal to adapt to the ever-changing practice of pharmacy. Your practical knowledge base would certainly atrophy very quickly if you are not practicing at all. You may not like it, but we need to do these things to maintain profitability and run a competitive business. We can't just stand around making milkshakes, chatting up customers and demanding six-figure salaries.

What Wags is doing now is not pharmacy. All the steps in filling a prescription should be onsite performed by one pharmacist in one integrated flow of tasks. Data review, DUR, and product review should be done by one RPH if possible, especially with multiple orders for a single patient. Certain errors won't be caught if all the separate tasks are outsourced to cubicle jockeys terrorized to meet a quota. From what I understand the offsite data review pharmacist can't even access the patient profile. Is this true?

I've not personally ever seen this, but I remember reading in the World is Flat (book about global integration of markets) that overnight radiology reads at some small hospitals had prelims outsourced to be read by docs in India for dirt cheap. Again, I've never seen this done, but as long as they have a US pharmD and state license, why couldn't Mikey's Tyrannosaurus Rx conglomerate get one of those type to do verifications from India and pay $30/hr? Or at the very least setup POWER type verification rphs to do 4-5 stores at once?

If we dont start displaying our value, I think pharmageddon will come.

What Wags is doing now is not pharmacy. All the steps in filling a prescription should be onsite performed by one pharmacist in one integrated flow of tasks. Data review, DUR, and product review should be done by one RPH if possible, especially with multiple orders for a single patient. Certain errors won't be caught if all the separate tasks are outsourced to cubicle jockeys terrorized to meet a quota. From what I understand the offsite data review pharmacist can't even access the patient profile. Is this true?
One pharmacist trying to do everything ends up running around like a chicken with its head cut off and making more mistakes. Remote verfication is much more efficient, with fewer mistakes because the RPh can concentrate uninterrupted in peace and quiet. But to be a good offsite data review pharmacist, you do have to memorize every single drug, all the forms, and all the idiosyncrasies, because like you said, you do not get any hands-on exposure. The data review RPh does not have access to the patient profile, but the RPh doing DUR does. So all RPhs, including the store RPh, do need to be mindful of mistakes that can occur because of this segregation. There are policies in place on how to handle these issues, and when in doubt, the prescription can be transferred to the store RPh to handle.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone come across a press release or a news article about this? I'd really like to have some "physical evidence" that I could show to a few people. I've told people about this and they don't believe me :(

EDIT: and by "this," I mean the new model at Walgreens that involves the use of "telepharmacy" technology, as described above...