Changing role of Walgreens pharmacists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
See here's the problem. It's amazing how the frog doesn't realize it's being boiled. There used to be overlap during peak periods, so that the verification RPH was relatively left alone. Remember those times? Does the middle 11-7 shift exist anymore in the busy stores?

Members don't see this ad.

If it's a private trade school, it can indeed cost that much. The programs I've seen were usually a semester or so and were about $2,000 or less if it was at a community college or online, and EVERYONE I knew who took the course regretted it, usually because once they got the job, they were kicking themselves because everything they learned was OJT and they could have been, like, making money during that time.

Several of them at my old hospital had their tuition paid for through JTPA when a local factory closed.

I had 6 pharmacists in the family and NO ONE ever knew about this secret that about 500,000 persons knew (That's about half million human beings). Then, I knew and they were all shocked.
I became technician with 300 dollars in 7 days. For real. Don't believe me? Quickly continue to read on for 5 minutes please.
This was my post in 2008 when I shared with everybody. I just checked today, the same program is still out there.

Step 1: You want to be a pharmacy technician? You must have license from Board of Pharmacy. What does Board want?
QUOTE FROM BOARD OF PHARMACY OF CALIFORNIA:

Link is here and quote is here for your convenience: Information below came from OFFICIAL APPLICATION TO BE TECHNICIAN:
http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/tch_app_pkt.pdf
START OF QUOTE ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
QUALIFYING METHOD
To be licensed as a pharmacy technician in California, you must qualify under A, B, or C as
listed below and be a high school graduate or possess a general educational development
(GED) certificate:
A. If you are qualifying by one of the following methods, the Affidavit of Completed
Coursework or Graduation for Pharmacy Technician (page 4 of the application) must be
submitted with your application.
An Associate Degree in Pharmacy Technology;
Any other course that provides a minimum of 240 hours of instruction as
specified in Title 16 California Code of Regulation section 1793.6(c);
A training course accredited by the American Society of Health-System
Pharmacists (ASHP); or
Graduation from a school of pharmacy accredited by the Accreditation Council
for Pharmacy Education (ACPE).
B. If you are certified by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB), you must
submit a certified true copy of your PTCB certificate or the original certificate with your
application. (A certified true copy is a copy that has been notarized as a true
copy.)
C. If you are qualifying by training provided by a branch of the federal armed services, you
must submit a copy of your DD214 with your application.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ END OF QUOTE.
See? Easy. Pass the test at a place called PTCB.org, you can be a tech in California. What's the key? In the eye of Pharmacy board, if you pass test at PTCB.org, NO NEED for tech school.

Step 2: So, Board of pharmacy said: you can be a tech if you pass a test at PTCB.org.What about requirement of PTCB.ORG?
Easy. Pass the test at a place called PTCB.org, you can be a tech in California. What's the key?
In the eye of PTCB.org, if you pass test at PTCB.org, NO NEED for tech school.
You can study at home and be a licensed pharmacy technician (licensed by state board).

How long? Study time depends on your ability. You decide, you control. I did in 7 days. Others did in shorter time, some did in longer time. Depending your life and brain power (single? married? got college degree? university degree? you came from other countries with good educational background (maybe you were a pharmacist, doctor, teacher?....)
Link is here and quote is here for your convenience:
http://www.ptcb.org/get-certified/apply#.UxytnmJdW-k

START OF QUOTE: +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Apply for Certification
Eligibility
To achieve PTCB Certification, candidates must satisfy the following eligibility requirements:

• High school diploma or equivalent educational diploma (e.g., a GED or foreign diploma).
  • Full disclosure of all criminal and State Board of Pharmacy registration or licensure actions.
  • Compliance with all applicable PTCB Certification policies.
  • Passing score on the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE).
+++++++++++++++++++++++++ END OF QUOTE.

That was my break when I started my pharmacy career; I was hired as a clerk at minimum wage. Being a licensed tech secured my job and I learned so much about the reality of pharmacy. I learned the book in 7 days, became a tech, then went to pharmacy school for 3 years, and now a pharmacist.

Below was my post in 2008
++++++++++++++++
In California, many of my friends became California Licensed Technician this way (other state might have similar way):

1. Buy a Pharmacy Technician book (online or at community college): $30
1.5. Apply at www.ptcb.org: pay for your seat in the exam room: $129
2. Read: depending on how you absorb: I have known 2 friends reading 10 hours and passed, others: 1 week and passed.
3. Take exam at the center of PTCB (gas and parking: $30).
4. All my friends passed on the first try (all pre-pharmacy students!), but, you can always retake the exam until you pass, $129 every exam, 4 exams a year.
5. Get Certificate that you passed PTCB (valid for any state in the whole country.)
6. For California: for Fingerprint Service, Notary Service, License Fee: $100.

Got my California License, worked.

In summary:

1. Get Training (valid in any state): 1 week of study, $200.
2. Get License (valid within 1 state): 1 month of waiting, $100.

You do not have to go to any school. You can self-study. I have never known about this fact even with pharmacists in the house!

The information I shared is valid as of 01-2008, please double check again.

Good luck to you...Heard that, Got it, Shared to you...

++++++++++++++++++++++
Someone mentioned about retraining of 18 months in state of MN?
This way of tech certification is valid for 50 states, MAYBE this will help your technicians save time and money. Please share with them. Here's the proof.
Link is here and quote is here for your convenience:
http://www.ptcb.org/who-we-serve/state-associates-and-boards#.Uxyv8WJdW-k
START OF QUOTE: +++++++++++++++++++++
PTCB certified pharmacy technicians work in all 50 states, in addition to the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico. CPhTs work in nearly every pharmacy practice setting in these states, from small community pharmacies to large multi-site health-systems.
+++++++++++++++++ END OF QUOTE.

Good luck to you...Heard that, Got it, Shared to you...

Cheers !!!!!!!! Please, DNH

Last edited: