Characteristics of matched and unmatched SDN internship applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What type of program do/did you attend and did you match to an internship?

• University-based PhD--matched

Votes: 50 59.5%
  • University-based PhD--did not match

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • University-based PsyD--matched

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • University-based PsyD--did not match

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Freestanding professional school (FSPS) PhD--matched

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Freestanding professional school (FSPS) PhD--did not match

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Freestanding professional school (FSPS) PsyD--matched

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Freestanding professional school (FSPS) PsyD--did not match

Votes: 5 6.0%

• Total voters
Book chapters are indeed important, but they have to be based on something (i.e., science), and someone needs to be putting out that "something." Also, I'm of the opinion that in order to appropriately summarize research as would be required by a book chapter, you need to be intimately familiar with the process of creating it. This is what grad school is for, and is likely one of the reasons why peer-reviewed pubs at that level are given so much weight vs. other types of produced literature.

Yeah, I have nothing against book chapters, but I don't view them as part of a rigorous process. The ones I have coauthored have been very easy pubs, and I don't count them in my pub count. They just go on my CV in a different section. It does show that someone thinks highly enough of your work to ask you to write it.

Members don't see this ad.

Glad to hear that you matched in Phase II, minorkey! Congrats :)

Too busy to spend much time on this site but will reply to phD12.
To: PhD12: You have made my point exactly. The PsyD movement was busting to express itself. In fact, the first PsyD was awarded in the 1940s. That is a rarely noted fact. Two students earned a PsyD in Montreal in the 1940s. Then in the US there was a surge of interest in clinical service that coincided with the Civil Rights movement. In the 1970s and 1980s there were tons of students clamoring to get into the field. Clinical psychologists revelled in the fact that they could turn down so many students. How important that made them.... Social work sucked the students up, expanded, changed focus and spit out MSWs at a fast pace.--with billing of insurance companies possible after a few years of training. Clinical Psychology failed to appreciate the strength of the movement (fueled by those interested in civil rights, etc). Clinical programs kept their doors locked to all but the usual 5-6 students per year. They ignored the PsyD movement when they should have attended to it and considered ways that the need could be addressed within existing structures. Instead the contented science wannabes (clinical faculty members-some of whom still keep an iron fist grip on some of the less strong programs and still shine the shoes of their nonclinical colleagues) ignored the movement-figuring it would die out. Surprise. Nope. It was fueled by thousands of students interested in contributing to and improving society. And, with doors of existing programs shut (a situation unlikely to change given the inferior status already given to clinical faculty in traditional psychology departments), the PsyD programs were established as free standing schools with unbridled growth potential. Yes, I am well aware of the internship problem-one that would not exist had the field acknowledged the need for alternative models and have incorporated them into the existing programs-allowing controlled, regulated growth. But the clinical psychologist of those days were so defensive about their own status and feared being considered less then... so much that they ignored the movement..after all, clinical work was beneath them...something their graduate students did while waiting to become scientists like their mentors. So, PhD, yes the PsyD movement has done all the nasties that you mention but that did not have to be the case.